About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #106
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Dark Souls (previously Project Dark)

ckzatwork

(Spoilers)

If you make it just a bit further into Tomb of Giants and meet Patch and fall for his trick, there's a skull lantern down there that makes the area much easier (same as the Dusk of Oolacile spell, which I couldn't use as I had no intelligence/magic). Make sure and pick it up quick though as there are some lethal enemies down there.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #107
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

Pedro

I got the Light Spell from Oolacile but decided to go to Demon Ruins instead with 500 arrows, following Li-ion's advise.

I had a hard time with the Firesage Demon until I remembered to use the Bandit's Knife. I killed him in 30 seconds with that weapon. Next, Centipede Demon. I summoned Solaire and a Phantom without knowing what was expecting me after the fog wall. The lava intimidated me so much that I left the fight to my friends and fired magic whenever I could. Boss dead. First try.

And now to the living hell of Lost Iziliathaever (I'll never get that name right).

I killed, I don't know, fifteen dinossaurs or something to get to the towers. I then entered the Angkor Wat look-alike area (strange mixture of architectural styles in the Dark Souls world) , killed the various rotating fire spitter statues, until a sage with fire powers did his best to kill me with a circus worthy fire show. He almost did, but what frustrated me immensely, and eventually killed me, was the simultaneous invasion from an NPC who got me completely off-guard and nailed me to the ground.

Alright, second try -- "oh, good, the annoying dinosaurs are still dead. So, I just have to run through the entire lava area. This is basically a swamp with poison, pretty easy then, I just wish those japanese artists had minimized the amount of orange paint here. My eyes would thank them. I'll just run through the statues here and since I'm not human with no chance of invasion I'll just kill the circus freak with magic. Wow, large fog wall. Boss should be in here. Where is the bonfire? Lets see, ha!, a big area filled with statues. I smell bonfire. Yummy, a big empty room with loot (floor collapses). WTF? Where am I? Let me see what's down here: 5 annoying tentacle things. Arrows! All dead. I'll just jump now. Oh, it's a swamp. I'll just alternate between flasks and poison healing herbs. I'm out of flasks, where's the fucking exit? I don't want to die in here. I'll just use humanities to restore HP. (10 humanities after) WHERE IS THE FUCKING EXIT?

STAIRS!!! YES!!! I'm low on health but if I remember correctly, Li-ion mentioned that the boss fight was a QTE, or something. Fuck the bonfire. (Entering fog) Wow, I'm sliding like Lara Croft here, these From Software guys sure are funny. So, big boss area, looks like Metroid Prime final boss. Hm, gigantic golden orbs, I should probably hit them. That's one gigantic golden orb less. Keep those arms still, you silly thing." (Floor collapses). YOU DIED!

I just pressed the on/off switch of the console.

Last edited by ckzatwork; 12-03-2011 at 08:47 AM.
ckzatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #108
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I wonder is it the guy on the church altar? Some people in the original playthrough didn't even see him, I believe. Maybe for those people he has returned in NG+?
He was similar to the guy at the altar, but with a different weapon if I'm not mistaken. I also found two undead soldiers at the bonfire next to the male undead merchant to be red phantom-ish. They soak up much more damage and also deal much more than the regular dreglings in that area.

That all only started after defeating the gargoyles. Talking about defeating: I'm back in Anor Londo on my NG+, just finished the Iron Golem. But I skipped quite some areas and so far ignored the Capra Demon and the Gaping Dragon. Instead I went straight to Quelaagh, joined the Daughters of Chaos for more pyromancies and went quickly through Sen's Fortress to show the Iron Golem my new pyromancies.

edit:
Before I forget: also did the Ceaseless Discharge. The exploit doesn't seem to work anymore, so I had to do it "the hard way". By hiding behind a rock and smashing at any tentacle I can see.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 12-03-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #109
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzatwork View Post
Fuck the bonfire. (Entering fog) Wow, I'm sliding like Lara Croft here, these From Software guys sure are funny. So, big boss area, looks like Metroid Prime final boss. Hm, gigantic golden orbs, I should probably hit them. That's one gigantic golden orb less. Keep those arms still, you silly thing." (Floor collapses). YOU DIED!
The last bonfire I found in the area was in the last angkor-wat-like temple still in the lava area. It's behind an illusory wall. After that I didn't find anything.

I died 3 times at the bed of chaos, everytime to a collapsing floor. The arm attacks are only dangerous because they tend to push into the pit. But since the 'progress' is saved at this boss it's possible to just suicide run him. Just make sure you don't have too many souls/humanity that get lost.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #110
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Hah! The red thingies have disappeared! Apparently it was caused by a Gravelord Servant. I got a message that the Gravelord Servant was slain and one of those red dudes disappeared right before my eyes. That of course makes me wonder how a Gravelord Servant can invade my game while I'm hollow? I thought as long as you're dead nothing can come into your game?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #111
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

YATTA!

That makes me want to play Dark Souls again... I have pre-ordered the upcoming pc version (just in case). But I'm still not sure if I should get the pc version or wait for the dlc to arrive on my PS3.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #112
Pedro
64-bit Poster

You've preordered the PC version? o_O

RPS forums are in overdrive about how it is a direct insult to them as PC Gamers blah blah whine whine.

I actually thought about it, but my PC is getting a bit long in the tooth now and I can probably wait for the DLC, which is the first must-buy DLC for me for a number of years.

EDIT: I might get it on PC just to annoy my brother who is its biggest fan but doesn't have a gaming PC.

Last edited by Pedro; 06-10-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #113
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I find some of the complaints about the upcoming pc version a bit silly. First there is this big campaign that we'd like to have a pc version and From Software actually listens (which is rare for online petitions anyway). Then details come out and more petitions start where people complain that it has the "wrong" kind of DRM (and for me all kind of DRM is "wrong" btw., hence I'm no big fan of steam).

I am happy that it comes to PC and even though From Software already admited they have problems with the port, I hope that the sheer processing power of a modern gaming PC will make a difference.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #114
farfus
pretty cool dude

I got Dark Souls recently, looking forward to it, been playing Witcher 2 on the 360, been having fun : )...
farfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #115
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I was thrilled to hear about the PC release. I don't own any current generation consoles, and Dark Souls is one of the few games I feel like I'm missing out on. I'll be slightly more cautious now that I've heard about these possible problems, but I still have high hopes that I'll get to finally play this game soon.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #116
Pedro
64-bit Poster

The DLC arrived on consoles tonight!

Boy, it makes you jump through some hoops just to get to the bonus content - up and down to the Duke's Archives etc. It was good to get to killing those horrible crystal goblins again though.

I accessed it with my NG++ character, and got mauled by the Sanctuary Guardian. My original plan was to start a new game, but if my NG++ tank can't handle the new area....

Advice needed: I read that a Faith build was a lot of fun so I was thinking of starting a new game as that. Unfortunately all that build and weapon scaling stuff is a mystery to me.

What would I do for a faith build - Cleric + Astora's Sword I believe? Not having used miracles in the game are they actually any use? What do I need to consider for this plan?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #117
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Forget Astora's Sword. That's just a divine longsword with crappy scaling. The maxed out divine or occult longsword is better than that. You can take pretty much every weapon with a good faith scaling when divine/occult. Longsword is pretty decent, Iaito, Zweihänder, Claymore all work as well, as do various maces. My faith-char is currently using a Lucerne (which I call Lucy). Took me a bit to get used to her reach, but now Lucy absolutely rocks.

Some fun/useful miracles are heal (obviously), force, with which you can send regular sized enemies flying off narrow bridges or break guard, the sunlight spear plus variant and wrath of god for pure damage. Darkmoon blade or Sunlight blade don't work with divine weapons, so don't bother with them in a pure faith build.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #118
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Thanks Li-Ion.

I'm just thinking Astora's Sword as a starter weapon, as I won't be able to ascend anything till I get to the Divine Ember.

Cleric -> Master Key -> Astora's Sword -> Burnt to a Crisp -> Boom! -> Undead Burg

The Lucerne - can you use a shield with that?

I am looking forward to renewing hostilities with Ornstein & Smough.

Also, have had this rolling around in my head for the past couple of months(NSFW - language):

Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #119
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Sure you can use a shield with Lucy. Why not?

Also, I started a new playthrough. To make things interesting: no levelling up, started as pyromancer with SL1 and I plan on finishing the game on SL1.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #120
Pedro
64-bit Poster

It's a large polearm with a little hammer on top, right? Just thought it was a little unwieldy to be waving around one-handed.

Ha ha, good luck with that playthrough.