About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > PC Games & Hardware Help

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
LordFarid
Lord of the Videogames

Skyrim

Anyone playing this? I am, i needed a nice full snack in between being totally bored with WoW and Rift and the launch of SWTOR on december 20th.

I'm liking it a lot. It's a long time i have found a single player game this entertaining.

In my opinion it's oblivion but with the frustrating parts cut out. With frustrating I mean;

No crashes and bugs.

I don't know about you guys but I had Oblivion crash so many times on me. And I mean major serious crashes that meant i had to restart the computer. Crashes that happened so often i had to save a game every 10 steps because i hated to replay parts. And at the time of Oblivions launch I had a sparkly new computer, so it wasn't that I didn't have the tech.

Well I also have a sparkly new computer now but so far Skyrim works like a dream. Not a single crash, not a single bug. Maybe i've been lucky so far but where oblivion was a bugfest and crashfest Skyrim is flawless in this department.

No Boring NPC's

One of the most annoying things of Oblivion was that the NPC's all had the same voices and texts. This problem is solved in Skyrim. There probably are many NPC's that use the same voice actor, but there are so many different scripts that you hardly notice it at all. As a result, Skyrim feels so much more realistic.

Amazing Graphics

Of course Oblivion and before it Morrowind had amazing graphics so theres nothing new. Skyrim once again marvels and amazes with it's awesome graphics. There are so many moments where you just stop at a creek or a waterfall to just enjoy the sights and beauty of the surroundings.

Better dungeons

Compared to Oblivion I'm already liking the dungeons a lot better, they feel much less like copies of each other.

Third person works!
Don't ask me why but I prefer third person over first person, especially as a warrior. For the first time in the elder scrolls series third person gameplay completely works and feels as solid as any other third person adventure. To me this makes the gameplay, immersion and combat a lot more entertaining!

Aside from that it is like we are used from the elder scrolls series, amazing stories, sandbox gameplay, thousands of quests, miniquests, subplots, etc. I'm having a lot of fun but the hard part of this game for me still is choosing which quests/career to pursue.
LordFarid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: Skyrim

I bought it earlier today, but haven't actually started playing it yet. I think it'll be the first open world game I've ever played. Hopefully I'll enjoy it. I know that type of game isn't for everyone.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

My personal odyssey with Oblivion is well documented in these forums. The levelling system made me go mad 16 hours in and completely destroyed any desire to play further. I also found Fallout 3 a lifeless and soulless chore, which I stopped playing directly after Megaton.

Now I hear the same praise I heard about Fallout 3 and Oblivion about Skyrim. It being the best thing since sliced bread. I see all those features, forum threads and videos on YT where people go nuts for it. But I don't want to spend another 40 to 50 just to get another disappointing WRPG.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Kin Korn Karn

Playing it. Loving it. I want to marry it.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Sir Rusty
New Poster

Sets a new standard for the console RPG. Immersive, stunning, glitch-free and brilliant. GOTY without a doubt.
Sir Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
LordFarid
Lord of the Videogames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
My personal odyssey with Oblivion is well documented in these forums. The levelling system made me go mad 16 hours in and completely destroyed any desire to play further. I also found Fallout 3 a lifeless and soulless chore, which I stopped playing directly after Megaton.

Now I hear the same praise I heard about Fallout 3 and Oblivion about Skyrim. It being the best thing since sliced bread. I see all those features, forum threads and videos on YT where people go nuts for it. But I don't want to spend another 40 to 50€ just to get another disappointing WRPG.
If you hated oblivion you probably won't like this. I found Oblivion a very imperfect game, but Skyrim does fix 4 major problems I had with it (buggy and constantly crashing, boring npc's that ruined my immersion, boring dungeons and the fact that the 3rd person perspective didnt work at all and i personally dont like first person for rpg's). Thanks to those fixes the game is a lot more enjoyable and immersive to me then it ever was. It is by far the best game Bethesta has released.

Another huge problem however with the game is the fact that its a sandbox. That's right, the games biggest advantage is also the game biggest weakness in my opinion. There are so many major questlines to follow that you don't know where to begin, at every streetcorner and with every npc there is a setpiece waiting that starts yet another questline, and if you dont watch it your questlog literally becomes a massive list. You have to force yourself to ignore the npc's and walk past them if you dont want to constantly hop from quest to quest without direction. This is the other side of the coin of the freedom. It is especially frustrating if your a control freak, it's especially frustrating if you are the structured type that likes to clear an entire level before heading to the next.

To that extent I think personally I personally would enjoy the game more if it had more direction and was just a bit less sandboxy. For example the GTA games have it better organised in that respect, you have the epic tale, and sandbox gameplay is offered more as a way to fool around when your bored with the main plot instead of the questgasm that oblivion/skyrim offer.

It is a beautiful game however, this is really one of its strongest points. It's so damn pretty. I do have to be honest though, I seriously can't wait till SWTOR is released, and once its out i'll drop this game right away and won't look back.

Last edited by LordFarid; 11-17-2011 at 01:13 PM.
LordFarid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Kin Korn Karn

All the Elder Scrolls games and Fallout series... has anybody liked only SOME of them? I can see not liking Fallout 3 as it is a large departure from the first two being all first-persony, but if you like one, don't you like them all? And if you hate one, isn't it pretty much decided that you will never like any of them?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFarid View Post
If you hated oblivion you probably won't like this.
I don't hate Oblivion, I just won't ever play it again, that's a difference

I have a general problem with sandbox games. I usually find the border of my sandbox pretty quickly and then end up being disappointed by my limitations, rather than to enjoy the little freedom I have. With linear shooters I know what to expect, thus I'm not disappointed, if that makes any sense?

However, in case of Oblivion that wasn't even my main problem. My main problem was that I believed the premise of being able to do 'what I want' literally. So I levelled quite a bit just by making potions, crafting and trading. Due to the stoopid auto-level system for NPC in Oblivion that resulted in me being MUCH less powerful in combat than the group of bandits in front of the city walls. Somehow I managed to kill the first group after all (mainly due to the AI bugging out ). When I looted their bodies I didn't get why they would try to rob me. Each single piece of equipment they had was worth more than all my possessions put together. That completely broke my immersion since it made no sense to me that stinking rich bandits would try to rob a poor little bard.

But the damage was already done, since my stats were so miserable that I had no chance ever catching up with the random encounters. In one dungeon I finally ran into some wisp-thing that I couldn't even do damage to, except with a handful of arrows that I took from some stinking rich robin hood some minutes earlier. But all those arrows combined didn't take even 30% of it's life off. After dying a couple of times to the wisp I tried to run the other way, just to be devoured by a pack of wolves. Each of the wolves could killed me with one bite. Not fun. So I quit.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Well if you spend all your time on alchemy, of course you're going to be the weak kid in class, you bloody fool!

I know, levelling was broken/badly implemented in Oblivion, but I think that the system is a proper RPG system - it gives you the tools to be what you want to be. You could have become the best Alchemist in Cyrodill. Ok, you wouldn't really be able to do anything else, but that's your fault for not striking the right work/life balance. In theory you should be able to keep quaffing the magnificent health potions you've created while dealing 2dmg with each strike.

Ha ha.

I'm liking Skyrim a lot. I was fully prepared to dislike it, and it really is 'just' Oblivion again, but nonetheless I'm completely charmed by it. It's the world building and the incidental details and quests that do it for me.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
Havblue
Hat Town Resident

Just wanted to get .02 in on Skyrim...

I also didn't care for the level scaling in Oblivion. Also, the dungeons and environments were repetitive. Don't even get me started on those Oblivion Gates, ugh.

They've fixed most of the biggest Oblivion problems though. The scaling problem is more or less fixed, the quests have more variety and the environments are more interesting. The character build system is probably one of the most fun parts: no major and minor skills. Just level whatever skills you want to. Bethesda set out to make the introduction part of Oblivion seem like the entire game and it worked.

As far as weaknesses go, there are a lot of bugs. Just look at the wiki of everything they've caught and are trying to fix so far. It's staggering. And, well, the combat is more or less as awkward as earlier games (but the critical hits do make things more fun). That being said the game has personality and you can tell they add little touches to the dialogue to so the npc's and enemies seem like real people. The next patch is coming out after Thanksgiving, it's apparently being tested now, so at least they'll be taking care of the worst things first. I'm going to say it's more or less a must-buy.
Havblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #11
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Stumbled over this (hilarious) episode of the life and death of Lydia, which again stirred my desire to give this game a shot after all. Then I read about the AI hickups and rather terrible UI and think maybe better to wait for the inevitable swell of patches and mods to come along first...
Old 12-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Looks like patch 1.2 introduces new features, like dragons flying backwards. Apart from other features like corrupted savegames that have been reported for both the PC and PS3 version. I think it's a good idea to not patch to 1.2 until there is a patch for the patch.

The most hilarious glitch I've seen so far is this one:
Old 12-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
Kin Korn Karn

If it weren't for the Youtube videos would you have seen these?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #14
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Obviously not, since I don't own Skyrim. Without YT I woudn't have seen anything except screenshots.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
gamevet

I downloaded the patch last night (PS3) and played for about 2 hours; I even fought a Dragon. I didn't notice any funky glitches, but the game seemed to run smoother since the patch. I noticed my save file also decreased in size.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote