About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Movies & Television

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #226
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Re: Last movie impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
the film was primarily a social media reaction to THIS
The similarities seem not to exist so i guess taking it just as a more general movie about riots might be ok.

Quote:
It could have easily been a disaster.
At least the ending was imo a disaster. Throughout the movie i thought it really wants to explain rioting, get me in touch with a background needed for that, and i guess the sort of "hysteric realism" worked sufficient for me, at least better than the story of Hooligans, until the pivotal point scene where the aggressive music should be turned off....
All events afterwards appeared just stupid, removing any sense that the preceding hour might have made.
I don't know what the message in the end was.
Black people are lazy goof-offs complaining about their situation and actually everything, hating the White, hating the Asian, hating the successful, always act up, instead of really doing something for their situation? Fighting for something not against something?
I was really confused how this work could have been done by a black man and how i was supposed to interpret the racism in it.
The final cite of King is good, i also can agree on the second one of Malcolm X, but were was that in the movie?

Föhnlage - Ein Alpenkrimi
I love those Bavarian movies with their super thick slang, very quirky figures, making it possible to be funny, while being suspenseful.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Qudditch, once again. Oh my. Can't they do some cricket, baseball, golf or any other sport i actually find boring but would much rather see than this "sport" with ludicrous rules.
And also some other scenes could have easily followed the Tom Bombadil example since they seem totally unimportant. e.g. The whole story how they get in could easily have been done without the apple, without the bird, without showing twice (or thrice?) how the cover is removed. What was the magical sand glass for? Was there any reason to mention it?
I can't comment on the books but either they are overhyped or the directors of the movies can't transfer its greatness. But since the imdb-rating is actually quite good i guess the books are also similarly bad.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #227
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Senna
Documentary about the life and death of Ayrton Senna. If you have any interest in motorsports it's a must-watch anyway. If you don't care about cars going in circles it's still worth to have a look I think. It's not as much about the cars as about the passion he felt towards racing and how his longing for being the best race driver consumed him.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #228
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Beowolf
Was this movie supposed to be funny or were they trying to be like 300 and failing?
Especially the CG art and some of the brutalities, hilariously combined when he fought naked and they had not the balls to show his balls and penis, were funny to me. It worked in Polar Express since it was a kids movie but in a adult movie? Reducing sharp reality for an artificial look?
And the story appeared trivial and nevertheless acted like it was epic?
Jolie looked nice but the rest bored me.

John Rabe
Impressive movie about a part of history that is actually often used in movies, the Nazi era, but this time about a region that never was mentioned. At least i had never heard of it before. To be exact, it was before WW2 started. It is about a Nazi sympathizer that rescued some hundred thousand Chinese people when Japan invaded China and attacked the province of Nanking. He is portrayed in the movie as a sort of racist when he complains about the stupid Chinese never learning manners and he was in fact party member. But in the moment were humanity is needed, he drops his always properly stiff exact Arian attitude and protects thousands of people in a safe zone.
It was not that (depressingly) brilliant as the original actually later Schindler but it is definitely as important.

Hard Candy
I like (brutal) revenge movies but then they have to have style, eg Shurayukihime (Lady Snowblood), Kill Bill or Oldboy, but it really felt like they did not know were they wanted to go.
For a drama it lacked a proper message or question.
For a thriller it was too obscure in the usage of the topic.
Pretty pointless non entertaining self justice movie were actually hardly anything happens?

Bedtime Stories
The idea had potential... but Sandler was in much better movies before.

Katastrofin aineksia (Recipes for Disaster)
A father kind of forcing his family to take part in an interesting experiment: Going on an (crude) oil diet to reduce the tons of CO2 everyone consumes every year.
The original formula made sense. They, or he, decided not to buy anything new that needed oil, eg. transportation, or was made out of or wrapped in plastic.
In the end he came to the point that some things were less good, like throwing away plastic tools that they "don't really need" (thus throwing away already consumed CO2 and adding CO2 for metal or wooden tools), but some things were good. Especially since they practically decelerated their lifes, they had more time for important things. Like talking with their kids.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #229
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Bedtime Stories
The idea had potential... but Sandler was in much better movies before.
You know, for an Adam Sandler vehicle Bedtime Stories -- it's probably one of a very select few films of his I wouldn't mind watching again. However, as good as it is based on Sandler's other films, it's still a middle-of-the-road film in general.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #230
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Nothing Personal
Liked it, although it not tell much of a story, it did not explain much details of the main characters, only some very basic informations, and so sometimes it felt like getting the full meaning of the sparse dialogs was impossible, as if they were making insider jokes.
There might have happened something to her before she left her home or she might have been just fed up with society without a single reason. Whatever. In the end i guess it was about silence and chosen loneliness, about an inside happiness.

Auf der anderen Seite (The Edge of Heaven/ On the Other Side)
Fatih Akin once again crafted a powerful, deeply emotional movie about Turks in Germany and Germans in Turkey. It had a more calm tone than the rollercoaster ride Gegen die Wand (Head-On), but ends also as irritating, open, hopeful while sort of depressing but overall informative on the cultures and on interesting individuals.

Adam's Rib
The relationship scenes were enjoyable but the idiotic court happenings ruined the movie for me.
We would let a man shoot his wife so a wife should also be allowed to was the defense lawyers argument. The most stupid thing for equality rights i've ever heard. And i have doubts it was less idiotic at the time the movie was made.

Marley & Me
It was kitschy and was not afraid of being. Good.
Liked the movie although i don't like dogs much.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #231
JLB1987
Sex machine

The Three Musketeers

I was thinking throughout that, whilst the humour was pretty lame (and was almost entirely reliant on having the fat one from that awful sitcom, Gavin & Stacey or something, being cast as the eponymous heroes' manservant; a poor man's Baldric, in this case), the acting wasn't bad, and the "feel" of the film (the action sequences, the way the characters all dressed) was fun. And yet, I didn't really enjoy it. Somehow the script was both overly simple and convoluted at the same time, and I wondered how this could be. When the end credits rolled, I realised; It was directed by the guy who did the Resident Evil films, Paul W. S. Anderson (should have guessed when I first saw Millla Jovovich was in this film, really).

I can't even begin to go into the story of the film; it's simple enough, but so stupid I don't want to have to waste my time doing so. Really wanted to like this, but overall pretty terrible. A few laughs were to be had from the arrogant and naive young King Louis XIII, and Jovovich is fucking hot.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #232
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Babí léto (Autumn Spring)
Didn't like it at all.
An old asshole, although actually a nice guy, but ignorant to the feelings of his wife living every day without care for money and always acting goofy. While she prepares already both their funerals and the time when one of them will be alone he wastes their money. When getting criticized for his overall behavior he is even upset and lets his best friend pretend that he died at his place. Which gives his wife a shock. When she comes with an undertaker she learns the truth: It was done to give her a lesson to make her think of what she would loose! oh my...
Then at their divorce hearing he promises to behave differently in the future. Instead of behaving "normal" he then acts like he is already dead whatever. So his wife is again the one who is really suffering.
The stupid end is that he is allowed to live again in his way and she starts to also enjoy his silly behavior by herself. So he was right all the time....

Of course money isn't everything but carelessly treating others' money is since three years a problem for world economy. And then such movies proclaim that you either live your life to the max without caring for others, not for your wife, not for your children, or you are not living the right way.

Black Sunday
The explosions were terribly faked but it was no Emmerich blockbuster movie so it doesn't matter much.
The rest was suspenseful and it even tried to explain the hard-line terrorists reasoning in a side note while also the Israeli questions his murderous actions. If they lead to something one day. It ends still with good vs. evil but at least it did not overly simplify it.

Gone Baby Gone
It was clever, while it sometimes appeared as it wanted to drag the story for no reason the different chapters formed a reasonable ending.
But it lacked something, the final bit of greatness that was imho possible with its story. I don't know, maybe it felt surreal and aloof with all this i know either gangstas or cops behavior.
And it always appears funny to me when unimpressive guys like Cassey Affleck here (or Spike Lee in Do the right thing) have to act like the masters or experts or whatever of their street/their neighborhood.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #233
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

The Soloist

If I never have to watch another movie about a gifted schizophrenic homeless person it'll be too soon.

Ok, harsh, I know It's just I feel like these films actually manage to trivialize/dehumanize the victims by making them fetish objects of hope(ala Jesus/E.T./Wall-E), deliver an entertainment-like experience that fails socially because they examine nothing of the issues involved and perhaps worst- deliver pat messages of hope and despair that cancel one another out and so the whole message is one of mindless filler, and therefore forgettable- which I'd think would NOT be what the producers were aiming for.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:49 AM   #234
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Limbo
Needed way too much time to get ready for the Crusoe adventure. So at the point where it got interesting more than half of the runtime already was wasted for the slightly pointless character introduction.

A League of Their Own
i like Hanks role and the kitsch, i doubt it's what feminists would appreciate but it was enjoyable
Old 10-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #235
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Johnny English Reborn. I had to google to remember the title. That should tell you what you need to now about the movie. It's fairly funny, nothing wrong there, but I saw it on Friday and today can hardly remember more than a handful of jokes.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #236
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

sure looks like the ice cave from the beginning of the X-Files movie, doesn't it..?

The Thing (2011)

if you know me, you know I love the 1982 John Carpenter film. I'll try to put this as plainly as I can: 3rd act: complete disaster/total loss. Climax mistake: Trying to go in the footsteps of the X-Files movie (remember the spaceship under the ice? which in itself was referencing the Thing?), and by showing one CGI composite monster effect that looked atrociously bad. To quote MovieBob: 'Lost in Space Dr Smith Monster-Bad'

He's right.

Also, the film really could've used about 5 minutes of character development early on.
It costs next to nothing and is really important when you're building slow scares.

And it all really SUCKS because 2nd act: flawless victory!
- after the wobbly introduction of the principles, there's some good scares and surprisingly, some good tension in this film. For the record, after the monster breaks free and starts copying people, there were 3 really good creepy scenes. The third, in fact, held it's own against the original for horrific and disturbing imagery.

There was also some cool bits w/regard to the spaceship.
though how they ignored one really obvious plot detail from the 1982 film really puzzled me...

Look, no glacier! C'monnn... You can't do an homage and omit something that big. :lame:

There were also the usual endcredits footage meaning to dovetail into the 1982 film that just felt tacked on after such a muddled finish. Sigh. Oh well.

Nerd bite: I recognized the 'sound' playing in the alien spaceship (distress signal), as the beacon from the Icarus 1 in 'Sunshine'.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #237
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Io sono l'amore (I am love)
did not like it
first hour was good but it lacked at least one hour runtime for being the epic it maybe wanted to be?
And in this compressed form it made no sense to me.
She is from russia, her husband was a nice guy when they met, she never returned, she misses her country and being called by her former non italian name.
Why did she never return?
Did her husband treat her in any second of the movie in any way bad? Just got ignorant of her? I have no idea, nothing was shown.
The story around the leadership of the company going from the founder, the after the initial scene dead grandfather, to his son + his grandson almost was completely pointless in regard to the rest.
Also the outing of her daughter. She accepts it almost immediately, not even a need for talking about it although she looks shocked or aroused by finding it out before the official confession. Totally irrelevant?
The reason for adultery, the friend of her son, the cook and his passion for nature and cooking is more justifiable than adultery of men hunting for some panties because it was directed in a so sensual way?
What happened to good old till death do us part or at least get divorced when you feel trapped inside a golden cage and an actually working marriage before adultery?
Man, i hate such morally weird movies were i should feel sym- or empathy with persons who actually hurt the non main characters of the movie and there is no explanation given why they act not differently.

I really would have enjoyed if those adultery scenes were just daydreams of her. The display of her imagination experimenting with a possible future because of certain events initiating some thoughts. Explain sufficiently why she wants to leave her family and then do it and afterwards go the cook or whomever.

Angels & Demons (Illuminati)
The point were it killed itself was when Langdon says he is no believer, after he met in the first movie Jesus' grandgrandgrandgrandchild. OK, knowing is something different than believing, but seriously?
The end was quite shitty with this "with mercy"-hunt. Granted that the catholic church is a little more evolved than Islam in the regard of being pissed of after some stupid affronts and even though i'm not that much of a believer, it's lame to add such silly scenes. "With mercy" includes "kill him", and i doubt someone of the bishops would allow to murder someone inside the Vatican.
Also the hero for pope election was ridiculous. Even Tom Clancys Jack Ryan for president makes much more sense than this.
Oh my... such a wasted movie.
Even the National Treasure series seems better even though i actually like this religious stuff more.

Last edited by crackajack; 11-10-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #238
crackajack
64-bit Poster

27 Dresses
Surprisingly good. Only bit bad was when the movie first showed how much of an ignorant asshole Tess is and then afterwards tries to make her also likable. They went beyond the point of no return, so trying had to end in failure.

Dr. Strangelove
I usually don't like satire movies and although i think this one would have been even better with more anarchic humor, like in the scene where the cowboy rides the bomb, it's definitely a classic.

Die Hebamme - Auf Leben und Tod (The midwife - a matter of life and death) (or something like that)
Interesting movie about a time were catholic church and men thought of women as second class humans.
Woman like the portrayed history inspired Rosa Koelbl are the reason why women are at least on paper equally treated nowadays. It will take some time to further adjust reality but applause to her and progressive people like her.

Le temps du loup (Time of the Wolf)
Seems like i don't like Haneke movies as soon as Isabelle Hubert appears in them.
It felt underwhelming throughout. Like it did not dare to show rather probable inhumanity to full extents in apocalyptic times.
Blindness was no perfect movie imo, but its cruelty felt realistic.

Knowing
I think the master of disaster, Emmerich, would have made a better movie of it.
Nevertheless i enjoyed it since the question of determinism and free will is very interesting.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #239
RandomRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Knowing
I think the master of disaster, Emmerich, would have made a better movie of it.
Emmerich has no skill with subtlety. He would've made yet another noisy, dull experience out of the material.
I think Proyas is a great director.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:42 AM   #240
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Emmerich has no skill with subtlety.
True
His movies always scream with proud "i am a B-movie and i don't care" but beside his noise making he never made characters so awkward, as they were sometimes in this movie.
Certainly there are even better choices but he is the expert on Final Destination on the world scale.
I loved The Crow and Dark City, but I think starting with I Robot Proyas lost a bit of his skill level.