About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #1891
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I played through Amnesia: The Dark Descent for Halloween. Unfortunately its brand of horror didn't work on me very well, and there is almost nothing else there for players who aren't scared.

I'm pretty disappointed. I thought I loved slower, atmospheric horror games like this, but this one just seemed so toothless. Being helpless (in a game) is not scary. It just means you have no stake at all in how the story unfolds. Walking down any random corridor in Thief feels a lot creepier to me, and I think its because there's plenty of stuff you can do to stay safe in that game. When things go wrong in Thief, its because you're not being careful enough (or clever enough), so you better stay alert. When things go wrong in Amnesia, it just feels like the game is being unfair. I don't think there's much you can do to improve your odds of survival, so why even worry about any of these monsters?
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #1892
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Earlier this week I beat Thor: God of Thunder for the Nintendo DS. Wonderful side-scroller, beat-em-up good for small gaming bursts. Each level only took about 10-15 minutes to clear.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #1893
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I finished Bioshock a few months ago, and even though it is clearly a good game that does a lot of interesting things, I felt a vague sense of disappointment throughout. It seemed like it had all the ingredients of a great game, yet I wasn't enjoying it at great game levels. Something felt off, but I wasn't able to figure out exactly what that was.

Now that I've played through Bioshock 2 I know exactly what I found lacking about the original. Even though Bioshock 2 barely adds anything new to the series, it does improve upon almost everything that was there. And even though these improvements are often incredibly slight, when added together they end up making the difference between a good game and a great one.

The most significant improvement, perhaps, is that the game is a lot more balanced now. The original Bioshock was incredibly easy, even with the difficulty cranked up and those stupid Vita Chambers turned off. The game gave you an incredibly complex arsenal to deal with your foes, but it also gave you so much health that I'm pretty sure you could brute force your way through the game using nothing but the lightning power and the wrench. There was little reason to explore the true potential of the tools you'd been given.

Bioshock 2 is a much more difficult game. Experimenting with your weapons and plasmids is no longer just a fun diversion, it's necessary for survival. As a result, I found dozens of neat little tricks that I would have overlooked in an easier game. And those tricks saved my life time and time again. For me, the game hit that sweet spot balance-wise where I felt vulnerable most of the time, yet I was almost always able to think my way out of a situation before dying.

This improved difficulty is largely due to one tiny change. In Bioshock, you could hold 9 health packs. In Bioshock 2, you max out at 5 (or 6 with the right plasmid upgrade). It's such a simple fix, yet its effects cascade throughout the rest of the game making everything more enjoyable. And Bioshock 2 is full of these tiny improvements. Almost nothing has been left untouched from the original.

The new hacking minigame (in addition to being more fun) no longer pulls you out of the world by pausing the game, meaning hacking is now a much more exciting mechanic, especially if you try doing it in the midst of combat. The brief underwater segments are simple (you don't do anything there except walk around) but they have a significant effect on the game's pacing. The new enemies aren't incredibly special, but just having them for variety does a lot for the game's pacing as well. The drill is a more interesting melee weapon than the wrench. All plasmids have been given charge attacks. The list goes on.

Also, while the story might not actually be better than Bioshock's, I found it a lot easier to get into. In Bioshock, I didn't feel like my character had any motivation to do the things he was being told to. The story eventually makes up for this in some really clever ways, but I was still left dragging my feet throughout the majority of the game. I could get behind Bioshock 2's rescue your little sister goal immediately, and I think the game is better for it.

I'm sorry for going on like this. It's just that I probably would have overlooked Bioshock 2 had a friend not insisted it was a better game than the original, and I'd like to extend that favor to others. If you didn't love Bioshock, but thought it had a lot of potential, Bioshock 2 might be the game for you.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #1894
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: the Game - good fun, and once you're leveled up maybe a touch too easy. Any fan of River City Ransom would probably at least mildly enjoy this game. In fact, I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim so much I have a hankering to go give River City Ransom another try.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #1895
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
If you didn't love Bioshock, but thought it had a lot of potential, Bioshock 2 might be the game for you.
good breakdown, Zan - I will check it out!
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #1896
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
Bioshock 2 is a much more difficult game.
Does it get harder in the course of the game?
The lack of challenge was disappointing to me and part of the reason why i have started it some months ago and still not finished it.
Bioshock got easy too, but was imo at least at the beginning challenging.

Beat Hazard Ultra
An extended version of Beat Hazard, with some special abilities added: super beam, shield and mini missiles and more enemy types.
But imo more important is the addition of the ability to play internet radio streams. Nice is also the lastfm support. Not yet tried: the also new MP.
Playing a '50s radio station is different to a dub step station which is different to HipHop or classical or ... the rhythm, speed and intensity is continuously affecting the gameplay. Endless fun added to the already immense playtime one can have when experiencing his own mp3 library.

God of War 2
High
Zeus kills Kratos
Low
Realizing that ordering GoW 3 after the high moment was no particularly excellent idea
WTF
Kratos gets the ability to turn back time. Instead of correcting the "lapse" of his past he whined about the entire first game he just does what he is best at; kill more people, anyone who crosses his path of revenge.
Clever, lovable fellow.
Gameplay is ok, although a little clumsy with the slow responsiveness and the weird button layout. Evading with the right stick is imo just a terrible idea.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #1897
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Super Paper Mario
Put 18 hours into this game, so definitely a positive experience. Starts strong, ends strong, though some of the later levels were a little weak and also annoying.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #1898
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Dark Souls
After just under 77 hours of total playtime on my character (including fooling around and getting invaded for what felt hours in Anor Londo and the Darkroot Gardens) Gwyn, Lord of Cinder, is defeated. I had a blast and it is hands down my game of the year 2011. And that in a year that saw games like Deus Ex Human Revolution or Portal 2. I doubt anything can come up for the rest of this month that can kick it from my throne.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:55 AM   #1899
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I also finished Dark Souls last night, after - wait for it - 108 hours! I was level 71 I think.

Fantastic game. I got frustrated in Anor Londo halfway through, and it took me a long time to get some bosses due to a reluctance to team up with other players. That would be my main complaint - for those who enjoy playing alone, or don't have online, it could be very frustrating.

I pretty much changed from a light armoured character to a tank in the later stages when I got strong enough (Havel's armour, Gravelord Sword) and that was a lot of fun as it's very different to my usual playstyle.

People complain about the 'later' levels - Lost Izalith, Tomb of the Giants ect - but I found them all a real pleasure after being stuck in Anor Londo for so long. I also liked that the bosses got easier after my O&S nightmare.

Accidentally picked the 'bad' ending. There were a couple of places that I decided to do a bit of exploring and was kicked out of with a 'decision' made for me which was a bit annoying. The other was the Painted World, where I was made walk the plank before I could decide whether to kill the boss.

I played through to Andre the Blacksmith in NG+ but that's me done with it, I think. I don't think I'll be trying for the 'good' ending.

My GOTY for sure.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:50 AM   #1900
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
That would be my main complaint - for those who enjoy playing alone, or don't have online, it could be very frustrating.
That is true. Some of the orange markings from other players helped me out a lot in some areas like the crystal cave. I'm sure I'd have spent at least 10 hours more finding my way if it wouldn't have been for that orange message that made me realize how the way goes. Summoning help was also very handy, especially when being invaded. Even though some of the phantoms I summoned were acting like total morons, the majority was very helpful.
Quote:
I pretty much changed from a light armoured character to a tank in the later stages when I got strong enough (Havel's armour, Gravelord Sword) and that was a lot of fun as it's very different to my usual playstyle.
Interesting. I changed my weapon and armors quite a lot in the course of the game. Initially playing a warrior I was getting heavier until and including the black iron armor as soon as I found it. Then I started mixing in lighter armor again and now I'm running around with the Dingy set (the one that can be found after the firekeeper dies) with the mask of the child from the pinwheel, wielding a Claymore. For the few bosses that need heavier armor I have Ornsteins stuff with me and there are always Black Iron and Havels in the bottomless box.

Regarding bosses: Ornstein & Smough were pretty tough, but the boss I had most trouble with were the Four Kings. Unlike other bosses where I at least got close to beating them after a couple of tries, Four Kings were simply demolishing me after a dozen tries. Most other bosses I managed at first or second attempt. Only a few required me going there more than 3 times.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #1901
Pedro
128-bit Poster

True, I would never have found that final path in the Crystal Cave without the messages!

It's funny, I got the Four Kings on my first go - however I didn't even realise that there were four of them as I just got in their grilles and started flailing away - I more or less thought it was the same guy and was looking around for the other three. That's where being a tank was handy I thought, and also the very last boss whom I tried many times both as light-and heavy-armoured.

Spoilers for last boss fight

I eventually got Gywn by suiting up in Havel's armour, dispensing with my shield totally (it was ineffective and draining my stamina), equipping Iron Flesh and using Gravelord Sword+4 as a two hander and just hammering him while quaffing flasks. It wasn't very subtle, but effective. It was also the only time I used magic in the game.

End Spoilers

I realise now that I should have been using varied tactics throughout the game, as and when required. But I really didn't get strong enough to use decent armour (and I hadn't killed Havel or the Firekeeper killer so I didn't have their rings) till late in the game.

I have to say again that I really loved all the levels except Anor Londo.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #1902
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Spoileriffic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I eventually got Gywn by suiting up in Havel's armour, dispensing with my shield totally (it was ineffective and draining my stamina), equipping Iron Flesh and using Gravelord Sword+4 as a two hander and just hammering him while quaffing flasks. It wasn't very subtle, but effective. It was also the only time I used magic in the game.
Interesting. I put on the lightest armor with decend fire-resistance I had, put on the fire resistance ring, the dragon crest shield and my trusty claymore and was mainly evading his attacks. Then two-handing and smashing at him until stamina is low. He was stunned quite easy as I found out. I even managed to parry two of his attacks with a nice riposte following up. Afterwards I thought maybe I could have beaten him like Garl Vinland in Demon's Souls, who was super-easy once I nailed the parrying-timing.

End Spoilers
Quote:
I have to say again that I really loved all the levels except Anor Londo.
I found Anor Londo gorgeous! The level that annoyed me the most was New Londo with the stupid ghosts and even stupider Four Kings. I think I died there more often than in the entire rest of the game.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #1903
TemplarGR
New Poster

I just finished Inazuma Eleven on DS. This game is really good and underrated in my opinion. It is a nice combination of JRPG and Football(or soccer if you are American), and the football part is controlled using the stylus. I seriously enjoyed it far more than FIFA 12 or Pro Evolution 2012, and that says something. The idea is very fun, and though it has its flaws, it is a refreshing concept. I found even the story hillarious, making me smile very often. I am a 28 year old guy and i wasn't immersed in it, you cannot possible take it seriously. I just laughed about it and became reminded of my school years. Really nice game and a recommendetion for anyone with a DS and a love for football.
TemplarGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #1904
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Portal 2
It eventually got better, when the good test chambers start near the end of the game, but that part is too short and over too quickly. Until that there were too many tutorial stages and too much padding in between the puzzles. Endless seeming running from A to B and then look for the 2 square inch of portal-able surface to get further.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #1905
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Everyday Genius SquareLogic
[...]
Took me over 10 hours to master all challenge puzzles, the campaign of the game. Over 19000 puzzles remaining just for fun. i.e. 98% undone.
[...]
50 hours later i have plowed my way through entire world one, of 6. 5000puzzles. the majority of the certainly more time consuming, harder puzzles still waiting to be played. About 15000.

play stats:
90000 left clicks
10000 right clicks

interesting to see what a mouse has to suffer while in employment

I'd guess it would take about 2mio.+-500k clicks to really finish everything. probably 1000+ hours.
Next big milestone to be posted in some years...
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote