About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 AM   #1876
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Seems to me that this is a consistent feature of all games 'cry'. I stopped playing Crysis 2 after enemies were repeatedly seeing and shooting me through concrete walls.
Precisely at you or just randomly inside the tent respectively at the wall because the dude disappeared somewhere there. Shoot the fucking thing!
I am just speculating but maybe it's not a bug but a feature that actually makes sense? At least in CoD it's common to shoot walls since they often are no real cover.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 AM   #1877
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Precisely at you or just randomly inside the tent respectively at the wall because the dude disappeared somewhere there. Shoot the fucking thing!
I was not in a tent, I was behind a concrete wall of roughly 1m thickness. That is quite opaque I'd argue. As soon as the guard went up the staircase he got x-ray eyes and started to shoot at me through the concrete. It didn't do damage but of course alerted all the other guards around. I would call that a bug, not a feature. A couple of other weird things happened involving stairs or staircases. For example guards completely ignoring a grenade I threw right up their feet. One guy on the ground was blown to bits but the two guys on the staircase didn't even notice I threw a grenade and kept searching for me. Well...
Old 10-04-2011, 05:05 AM   #1878
JLB1987
Sex machine

I'm sure they were shooting at me, rather than just generally at the tent. There were only two guys left, and was getting hit wherever I went to in the tent. Although what you say did cross my mind, Rob.

Still, love the game.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #1879
crackajack
32-bit Poster

They then must have some satellite surveillance assistance or are locating your GPS signal. Drop the gadgets you are wearing!

Would have liked it if it was a feature but AI behavior and path finding are under continuous construction and it seems not to progress in the speed of the level design getting more complex.

Since the achievement suggested it, i have to brag about being a Golden God in Super Meat Boy now. Got the 100% finished achievement when the stats said i had 102%.
I don't know if i could really make it to the ultimate end, the 106%, but it's enough now since other games are waiting.

Loved those Dark World levels and the ever increasing difficulty of the game. Always satisfactory after dying a ton of times to move finally inside the tiny safe zones the environments offer and get accustomed to all the bonus characters and their deviating movement styles where some are essential for success.
Still hate the actually short loading times on every chapter select, warp zone entry, glitch level start though.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #1880
JLB1987
Sex machine

I just think the AI is actually so stupid, they needed to programme this x-ray ability in just so they had a chance

Congrats on Super Meat Boy! A game I'm interested in playing myself (loved Meat Boy, the flash game, on newgrounds.com).
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #1881
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

LEGO: Pirates of the Caribbean (360)
Your standard LEGO: Insert-Franchise-Here fare. I still enjoy the gameplay, just not as into going back and replaying the levels as I was with the Star Wars Original Trilogy game a few years back. Nothing you probably haven't played before, minus the Pirates of the Caribbean license. If you haven't enjoyed a LEGO: Franchise game before, this one won't change your mind, unless you really, really like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #1882
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (360)
I "beat" this game about a week ago, but just shipped the disc back today. Was originally going to mail it out last Sunday, but was enjoying the game enough to hold on to it for a few extra days. Decent kart game that has its own unique features and some very solid tracks to race on. Single player has enough replay value and there is still a small handful of people playing on Live.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #1883
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars for the 3DS.

It was a fun game, and a decent supplemental launch title, but definitely no system seller. The 3D effect is nice. Nothing too amazing, but it isn't really distracting either. The game has a surprising amount of content, so if you are itching for a turn based strategy/RPG, I'd suggest it.

Review posted in community submissions, for those interested.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:42 AM   #1884
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
This game feels like Deus Ex. In my opinion, that's some of the highest praise that can be applied to a game. It is probably my favorite type of game: a first person adventure game with an emphasis on atmosphere, stealth, and emergent gameplay.

I don't think it's anywhere near as good a game as the original, but its heart is in the right place.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 10-25-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #1885
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Riven
I decided to revisit an old favorite of mine. I haven't played this since it was new, but I think of it pretty often. I thought I'd be able to sail through this in a night, no problem, but my memories weren't quite as good as I thought they were. It wasn't as painless as I thought it would be, but I eventually got through it.

My very initial impression was "wow, this has not aged well", but within five minutes I was happily immersed in the world yet again. And by the end I had experienced one new moment of awe, which was enough to make the whole trip worthwhile.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:48 AM   #1886
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Finished Quantum of Solace directly followed by Blood Stone.
Nice locations, terrible stories, ok gameplay with emphasis on occasional stealth, shallow villains. I did never really like the comic villains of pre Brosnan era, but at least those were striking.
QoS had controls reminding me of Kane&Lynch 2. It never felt intuitive to use cover. The story of both movies that was covered is confusing bollocks so far so the game can't be better. Mission design lacked the openness Goldeneye 64 allowed in its actually quite narrow levels. Good thing for the engine was that despite CoD has this triggered enemy spawn endings here there were a fix number of enemies.
BS had racing elements and this was the major flaw for me. Way too much passenger feeling with little influence on the action. Here and there explodes something and the initial boat race was fun but then every new race appeared like too much on rails. Instead of letting me have a chase in a city with traffic i drove almost undisturbed and so it did not match the interactivity of the shooting.
That part was sort of similar to Uncharted and worked actually quite smooth. The villains were introduced almost moments before Craig kills them to get a name. (is Bond now a sociopath hitman? WTF!)
I think BS is the better bond experience, especially the Bond song plus great intro, but overall i'd say QoS was the better game with less weird edges for me.
Nevertheless both are nothing someone has to have played, so it does not matter much.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #1887
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Aliens: Infestation-

I didn't beat it, but I think I'm done.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #1888
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
Riven
I decided to revisit an old favorite of mine. I haven't played this since it was new, but I think of it pretty often. I thought I'd be able to sail through this in a night, no problem, but my memories weren't quite as good as I thought they were. It wasn't as painless as I thought it would be, but I eventually got through it.

My very initial impression was "wow, this has not aged well", but within five minutes I was happily immersed in the world yet again. And by the end I had experienced one new moment of awe, which was enough to make the whole trip worthwhile.
I reply this game every few years. I still think it's a wonderful multimedia experience.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #1889
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Aliens: Infestation-

I didn't beat it, but I think I'm done.
That bad? I had been reading good things and thought about giving it a go. Would like to hear more of your thoughts.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #1890
RandomRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
That bad? I had been reading good things and thought about giving it a go. Would like to hear more of your thoughts.
I got to the boss of stage 4 and simply hadnt stocked up on enough marines, just couldnt beat him.. didnt feel like restarting the game and putting another 5-6 hours in to get back where I was. There's only one save file, so if you're low on marines, don't save on level 4! (only 1 collectible marine I could find on that level!)

good points: art and sound design are well implemented.

problems with the game, imo:

1) the size of the DS control pad doesnt lend itself to arcade fight grinding (at least not with big hands like mine ) and you need to do endless dodgeroll/turn/fire moves in this game to avoid being hit.

2) searching air ducts is a nuisance, but its the only way to find extra marines, and marines = lives. Tip: use flares to mark places youve been, otherwise it gets tedious. About 1/4 of the air ducts you have to search have nothing in them.

3) The boss fights are not really fun. Most of the bosses outrun your character, and then jump up and down on your head- so again you have to dodgeroll/turn/grenade, and dont miss with the grenade because you need every one to count, and you're probably going to go through at least 2 marines on each boss battle, if you're good.

4) you can only hold one weapon at a time, and can only swap them in a save room... so if you find a weapon powerup and dont want to apply it to your current selected weapon, youre going to have to go back to a save room and then come back for it. And leveling up each weapon once or twice isnt going to help you win, you'll want one weapon to be +3, +4, etc to take down the bigger bosses.

5) all the grinding wouldnt bother me so much but theres really not much in the way of overarching mission narrative to take your mind off of it. So, not having much fun at the 6 hour mark, I had no desire to invest any more time in it.

***biggest waste of potential***

not having local wireless multiplayer, ala Xenophobe. THAT would've been terrific.

all in all, its well done for what it is, but I wouldnt recommend paying more than 12-15 bucks for it. I think it wouldve been a much better downloadable game.

Last edited by RandomRob; 11-03-2011 at 10:19 AM.