About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #76
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
I hope it's worth it.
Sadly, no.

I enjoyed Lair of the Shadow Broker quite a lot. Katsumis' and Overlord are also quite ok, the rest is somewhere between forgettable and rubbish. I haven't played Arrival yet, but I read it's pretty much terrible.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:52 AM   #77
crackajack
32-bit Poster

I resumed my pretty old savegame of Stalker.
Actually very enjoyable game but it's one of those games i seem to loose interest in a short time for no reason.
But i think this time i'm going to finish it since its also hard difficulty is a breath of fresh air in comparison to Demons Souls. God bless F6/F7-gaming.

Although i don't like it much i most probably will finish Demons Souls. Done approx. half of the big demons so far. I have some problems as described above and some others, but basically its main error is its unnecessarily frustrating rigid game design/difficulty. The fans might say it's ideal and part of the game and what makes it different from other games, and i acknowledge that it might be perfectly well to many gamers but it's the worst case of elitist gaming i ever experienced.
This level of difficulty is nothing particularly genuine, it's not even the hardest game i played but all other games that offer that hardness either make it an optional task or build slowly up to that level.
I think Super Meat Boy is considered a hard game, but its first levels are easy so before getting confronted with hard stuff it gives opportunities for success. Challenge and reward is building steadily up. Perfect. Or games offer also easy difficulties. Let the player choose the difficulty he feels challenged enough. DS just offers hard (and later, in NG+, i guess even harder). You are either elite or you are simply not invited. That's a relapse into the 80s/ early 90s. Hardwired difficulty.
Even driving simulations on PC offer various difficulty levels and driving assistance levels because they know not everyone is ultra hardcore and wants to have a realistic drive for a race that goes for 30 minutes or more.
DS is as bad as PoP. There it was one too low difficulty that bored many gamers and i guess many critics that correctly stated that now worship DS and give it a 10 compared to a meh-7 of PoP?
The praise for DS also shows how undisciplined gamers are. No one's forcing you to quicksave gaming as i tend to do. If you want a game that's as hard as DS just restart the level as soon as you die, don't use quicksave and/or ignore the autosave function. Let's see if you can finish Far Cry or Men of Valor when trying to not die ever. The sense of accomplishment will be the same.

The big difference of the games compared to other forms of entertainment is that it can offer tailormade fun at least in that regard. If it wants to for hardcore, mainstream and casual at the same time. Making it easy or hard is easy. DS and PoP ignored that. Imo not even a step but a leap backward in game design.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #78
JLB1987
Sex machine

Bought the "Humble Bundle 3" selection of indie games the other night. It was a pay-what-you-want deal consisting of five games (Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, VVVVVV, Hammerfight, and And Yet It Moves), two bonus games (Steel Storm and Atom Zombie Smasher), and since I paid more than the average donation (which was around $6; I paid $10), got the Humble Bundle 2 as well (Braid, Cortex Command, Machinarium, Osmos and Revenge Of The Titans). Phew.

Atom Zombie Smasher
I've tested all the games out, if only for a few minutes, to make sure they work and see if any catch my attention. This certainly did; almost a sort of tower defence game, if the "towers" were terrified humans/ yellow dots, running away from flesh-eating zombies/ purple dots. An hour or so into the main campaign, and it's a lot of fun. The aim on each level is to evacuate a set amount of citizens from each city. Any extra people you save give bonus points, and if you manage to eradicate all the zombies, it's an automatic victory and you are awarded yet more bonus points. Only annoyance is not being able to choose what you get to help you each level, and early on in the game, a lot of the stuff you do get is too basic to give you a fair chance of total victory, but I guess it's all part of the challenge.

Braid
An interesting one. A puzzler first and foremost, with platforming elements, using time-manipulation to help you overcome obstacles to collect puzzle pieces. Played for about an hour so far, and I haven't formed a solid opinion yet. Love the art style, don't like the story-telling between worlds. Love some of the puzzles, and how it's not immediately obvious what you have to do, hate the uneven difficulty and lack of explaining anything. Overall, though, definitely worth a try.

Cogs
Another puzzle game, albeit more traditional; a more complex version of those "slide the tile" games you probably played with when you were little. Enjoying it immensely, to my surprise. There are different medals for each level, tied to how quickly/ how many moves you solve each puzzle in. Basic, but attractive graphics. Just a lovely game. About half an hour in, and is certainly one I could (and will) go back to every once in a while.

Yet to play any of the other games in-depth, although what I've seen of Machinarium is very promising.

Unfortunately, the bundle is no longer on sale, as it was a limited-time offer only. But I'm glad I've bought it; you could decide how to split the money you donate amongst a couple of different charities, cost of maintaining the site selling the pack, etc. I put the slider up on a children's charity as much as I could without nullifying any of the other options, and so not only do I have some great indie games, but am very happy that I will have contributed (if only a small amount) to put a smile on a child's face, somewhere. In conclusion, best $10 I've spent in a while.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #79
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Been playing through Fallout New Vegas, kinda slowly. I like it, it's MUCH more in the spirit of the original game than 3 was.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #80
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Trying to trudge through Red Faction: Guerrilla (360). It is progressing very, very, very slowly. Not sure I'll ever beat this game.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #81
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
Trying to trudge through Red Faction: Guerrilla (360). It is progressing very, very, very slowly. Not sure I'll ever beat this game.
What are your thoughts on it so far? I've mentioned it elsewhere on this forum many times, but RF:G is one of my games of the generation. It would be in my top three.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #82
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
What are your thoughts on it so far? I've mentioned it elsewhere on this forum many times, but RF:G is one of my games of the generation. It would be in my top three.
Well, to start, it's taken me about a year just to liberate Oasis (which I just completed tonight). Not that I have been playing the game that long, I just have picked it up, then put it down numerous, numerous times. I was really digging it last summer, but found the difficulty ramped up from 0 to 11 for pretty much no reason in the Badlands. After that I found it hard to pick up and keeping going back to finish.

As for the topic of the thread, I am also currently playing Kyotokei (Wii). Decent shooter that borrows heavily from Ikaruga. Only $5, not too bad for the price.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #83
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I pre-loaded Deus Ex Human Revolution and check every half hour if the button finally turns into "play", does that count as playing already?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #84
CaesariaJuno
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 CaesariaJuno is an unknown quantity at this point

Picked up Deus Ex on Tuesday night. I gave it a spin for a couple hours, but I don't have much free time during the week so I haven't really had a chance to really get into the thick of it yet. But this weekend, I'll be knee-deep in the golden glow-y goodness of future Detroit and Shanghai
CaesariaJuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #85
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaesariaJuno View Post
Picked up Deus Ex on Tuesday night. I gave it a spin for a couple hours, but I don't have much free time during the week so I haven't really had a chance to really get into the thick of it yet. But this weekend, I'll be knee-deep in the golden glow-y goodness of future Detroit and Shanghai
The new one, right? If we didn't live in an age of possible DLC and GOTY editions, I'd buy the game in an instant. As it is, gonna wait a year or two. Shame.

Welcome to the forum, by the way, haven't seen you on here before
Old 08-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #86
CaesariaJuno
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 CaesariaJuno is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
The new one, right? If we didn't live in an age of possible DLC and GOTY editions, I'd buy the game in an instant. As it is, gonna wait a year or two. Shame.

Welcome to the forum, by the way, haven't seen you on here before
Yes, the new one. That's a good point about DLC and new game editions...I fell prey to that very thing with Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and the 3DS, which isn't getting a new edition to my knowledge, but did get that major price drop...grrr. But I'm kind of a sucker for having the newest coolest thing. You'd think I would eventually learn my lesson, but nope, not yet

Thanks for the welcome!
CaesariaJuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #87
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I'm also heading into the cyberpunk-dystopia of Deus Ex Human Revolution now. I'm now past tutorial and the very first mission and so far I really like it. The last doubt if there could ever be a good Deus Ex game again has vanished. The stealth mechanics work wonderful, without light-meter and other nonsense. Successfully Sneaking past a room full of heavily armed guards is quite satisfying. But now excuse me, 2027 is waiting for me...
Old 08-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #88
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Playing Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii - or would that be obvious?). Completed the first world, Jungle, and enjoy the levels I've played so far. The end boss is a little uninteresting, but not without a minor challenge. So far, a solid platformer.

Also playing Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions (360). This game is a tossup. Some parts are really enjoyable, while others are frustrating, and I'm only through the first level. Really want to enjoy this game, but not finding the strategy behind playing. Seems more like a beat-em-up, though I don't think it is supposed to be designed that way. Also, the camera needs a little tweaking. For now, I'll stick with it through for at least a couple more levels.

Also, this means that I have put Red Faction: Guerrilla (360) on the shelf for the time being. However, my impressions of the game have changed for the better. The final third of the game reminds me of why I enjoyed the game in the first place. The middle third just needs to brought up to the quality of the beginning and the end of the game. However, I will be eventually completing the game, which was not looking possible just a couple weeks ago.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #89
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Playing a fair bit of Madden 10 still; the online franchise is on a knife edge, with every game seeming critical.

I bought a pair of P11 headphones on Friday and as they were my first proper set for gaming I thought I'd buy Dead Space 2 as a suitable atmospheric game with which to try them out.

However, I also picked up Far Cry 2 for cheap, and haven't been able to tear myself away from it. What a world! It's fantastic, and the scene is beautifully set by the opening cab ride. The missions are ok, but livened up by the appearance of buddies. One of these, a Charlie Sheen-type character, has just gone and died on me, god dammit. I miss his madcap plans already. The enemy AI is excellent most of the time, with soldiers flanking you from both sides. There are some terrible design decisions also - not being able to drive around the world without bumping into enemy checkpoints being the main one.

But a wonderful game. If the developers can put in the same strong performance for the next one and iron out some of the small flaws, then I am sold already.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #90
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

yeah I love Far Cry 2, warts and all.

Ive been downloading old N64 and SNES ROMs today. Playing alot of Road Rash 64
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote