About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Movies & Television

Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #196
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Re: Last movie impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Toy Story 3
About the end of childhood and letting go. I really like that movie. After the second part which I found ok but forgettable number 3 brings it back and onto a new level.
I can't believe you thought part 2 was forgettable. The scene where the girl takes Jesse to the donation drop and leaves her there was brutal.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #197
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Troy View Post
Captain America: This one basically washes the horrid taste of Green Lantern away, which is a feat in and of itself. Really, the most concise way for me to describe why I liked Captain America is this: "The Rocketeer meets Indiana Jones". For me, that properly sums up how the movie kept the big grin on my face all the way through.
I mentioned Indiana Jones on the podcast segment where we discuss summer movies as well. I thought the way they handled the reference to the Golden Age comics was brilliant. So many layers for depth there.

What's great about what Marvel Studios is doing is that not only are they incredibly faithful to the comics, but they also address what's weak and/or missing from the comics to really give the characters more dimension. The end result to something that's greater than the parts from which it's derived.

Recently saw...

Unknown
Jason Bourne meets Regarding Henry. Not bad.

Kung Fu Slam Dunk
This one is currently on Netflix instant watch. Only watched a third so far and my impressions are it isn't as funny and quirky as it thinks it is and there's a little too much pandering to the teen boop crowd (young boys with long hair). Jay Chou seems largely disinterested.

Green Hornet
This was a lot better than I thought it was and I'm surprised anyone thinks this movie is more standard superhero stuff. Feels nothing like a super hero movie and uses the source material quite cleverly. The movie perhaps would have had a better payoff if the bromance, which started off great, but ended kind of weird.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #198
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Recently watched:

Cedar Rapids:
Found this movie to be a very well done comedy. Kind of surprised it didn't see a larger release.

Robocop:
This movie is hilarious, but maybe for all the wrong reasons. Surprised they haven't rebooted this movie. If they ever do, I hope they make it campy in tribute to the original source.

Because the Bible Tells Me So:
A documentary about how Americans misuse/misquote the Bible to speak out against homosexuality. Thought it would be a better, but it was actually quite slow so I didn't finish.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #199
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Hall Pass:
Real slow start with not too many early laughs. Quality ending, but maybe too little, too late. The Farrelly brothers are the kings of mediocre movies. Only exception being Dumb and Dumber.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #200
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Requiem for a Dream
I like the artsy movies Pi & The Fountain and the more grounded The Wrestler. Here i started to laugh at the final scenes which were supposed to be shocking.
The final fail was when a doctor sends the addict with an awfully bad arm into jail (for what reason actually? being addicted is a crime in the States?) from where he is sent back to a hospital to get his arm amputated. Seriously?

Total Recall
Still good although some of the future elements were overtaken by reality.

9 rota
Interesting to see the enemies of Rambo 3 from a Russian view. It had actually no political comment like the TV-guide criticized. It just showed the usual drill that we are the good guys and they are evil- like in almost every war movie ever made. At least it did show the individuals of the company also having edges in private at their recruitment and throughout the story. No clear black white like eg Platoon.
The characters could have been developed with more depth, some scenes were way way way too pathetic and some too schematic, but overall good movie.

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
I liked the beginning, but the actual house building/buying process was too short, the problems too little, many details missing.
Appeared to me like the author wrote a script about something he had only vaguely heard about.
Compared to Hinterholz 8 this movie is utterly boring. In both comedy and drama.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #201
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, next Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince followed by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, which all in all got compressed into one week which makes it fairly difficult for me to distinguish any of the movies. The story progressed fairly predictable. At least I didn't feel wow-ed by any of the twists and turns along the way. By the end I felt like I can see the future, since I had a strong sense of what's coming next and was right most of the time. The movies (and the books I assume) went from childrens tales to action flicks for young adults. I can see where the mass appeal comes from (plus Emma Watson is hot). But I can safely say that HP didn't change my life.

The Last Airbender
WTF? WTF WTF WTF?
DO NOT WATCH!
That was the worst movie I saw since Alone in the Dark, which I consider the worst movie I ever watched. Even Uwe Bolls Dungeon Siege movie has more artistic merit than this piece of rubbish. The Last Airbender fails at almost every level. The story feels disjointed and until the end I wasn't sure what was the point of all the bending. It felt like they took parts of a long-running B-level tv series and glued them together without trying to make the movie a coherent whole. The acting was horrible with some really odd casting choices and career-worst performances. Some of the effects were nice, but if that's the best thing to say about a movie that cost 280 million dollar (according to wikipedia) then something went wrong. M. Night Shyamalan managed to make a movie that's worse than the Village and even the Sign on every conceivable level. I'm now convinced that Sixth Sense was a good movie despite M. Night Shyamalan and not because of him. I want this 1 hour 40 minutes of my life back. I can't understand how nobody working on the movie would step up at some point of the whole production process and say: wait a minute, that's all rubbish!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #202
Doug Troy
Surly McDouchebag

Quote:
The Last Airbender
WTF? WTF WTF WTF?
DO NOT WATCH!
That was the worst movie I saw since Alone in the Dark, which I consider the worst movie I ever watched. Even Uwe Bolls Dungeon Siege movie has more artistic merit than this piece of rubbish. The Last Airbender fails at almost every level. The story feels disjointed and until the end I wasn't sure what was the point of all the bending. It felt like they took parts of a long-running B-level tv series and glued them together without trying to make the movie a coherent whole. The acting was horrible with some really odd casting choices and career-worst performances. Some of the effects were nice, but if that's the best thing to say about a movie that cost 280 million dollar (according to wikipedia) then something went wrong. M. Night Shyamalan managed to make a movie that's worse than the Village and even the Sign on every conceivable level. I'm now convinced that Sixth Sense was a good movie despite M. Night Shyamalan and not because of him. I want this 1 hour 40 minutes of my life back. I can't understand how nobody working on the movie would step up at some point of the whole production process and say: wait a minute, that's all rubbish!
Have you seen the cartoon it's based on? Because if you REALLY want that movie to sting, watch the cartoon all the way through and then compare all the things the show did absolutely right that the movie did absolutely horribly completely balls-to-the-wall wrong. Think about all the thought and blood and sweat that went into the source material and then watch M Night piss all over it with a smile on his face.
"I actually talked to an Iraqi cabdriver last year in Salt Lake City about the war. He said it was like the US came and weeded his garden, but pulled out most of the vegetables in the process. Needless to say, he had mixed feelings. So I stiffed him on the tip. USA! USA! USA!"
Doug Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #203
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
(plus Emma Watson is hot).
I'm more inclined to say that Emma Watson is actually more of a natural beauty, which I personally think is slightly different than hot. But overall, I concur with your statement.

Back to the main thread topic:
Just Go With It
A movie based on a screenplay, based on a short story, based on a play, which was based on a French play. Or something like that. I kid you not, the credits had a succession of three (maybe four?) "based on" credits.

As for the movie, there were some good laughs. Adam Sandler was nothing special, but Nick Swardson delivers a good comedic role (though not as hilarious as his Terry character from Reno 911). Another plus was seeing Jennifer Aniston in a bikini, which I found even nicer than seeing Brooklyn Decker in her bikini.

However, the entire movie was beyond logical, even for a Happy Madison production. The whole premise of pretending to be married is one thing, but when the ruse goes south and the girl you are trying attract finds out you have (fake) kids, how do you solve this problem? Oh yes, you take everyone to Hawaii. Then plan an elaborate story with the kids "dying" by sailing of a cliff in a car on the way to boarding school.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #204
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Sunshine
Got a bit bored by it. Event Horizon was better.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #205
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sunshine
Got a bit bored by it. Event Horizon was better.
Better in what way?

Event Horizon was a campy horror movie.
Sunshine was a pretentious arty thriller.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #206
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Better in terms of keeping me entertained. Event Horizon was campy but at least I wasn't bored. Sunshine is just... Freddy Krueger in space, I guess. It features the usual quite incompetent crewmen that do the wrong thing at the wrong time and everyone's a drama queen. I wouldn't send those guys out with the (second) last hope for earth.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:22 AM   #207
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Frost/Nixon
It did not sufficiently deliver to me the era, what Nixons presidency meant to the people. Instead of showing his years in more detail it focused too much on the work of Frost or more the work of his team and explained the errors in some short lines.
Why did Nixon finally confess errors? Because he thought he told Frost something essential on the phone which he had no recollection of his own at the beginning of the last interview day? Or was he just tired of acting like he has done everything correctly?
What did Frost actually do other than organize this interview? 11:0 was the score? Tricky Dick Nixon vs normal citizen Nixon?!? Frost appeared more like a financially involved but always smiling unimportant side figure.

Leroy
Nice tolerance comedy about an afro-german teenager who falls in love with a girl whose brothers are sort of neonazis.

Unter dem Eis (under the ice)
A mother trying to protect her sons unconcerned childhood, her mans career, in the end their family life by hiding the truth: that her underaged son has accidentally killed his playmate.
Good what-if movie.

Lions for Lambs
Press came not good away, but imo it failed completely in the last years so imo not unfair.
The now we are in so we can't step away reason for continuing war seemed also to be fairly carried over.
Questions about the time before and after the predicted win sort of unanswered/ unimportant. Felt fairly realistic.
Commitment of people to usually fully egoistic lifes. Also realistic.
Loved it.

Flying Scotchman
It was ambitious but not really able to portray his depression. As a child he gets bullied, than he appears lone wolf style, but at the first scene were he sits ruminative and explains that he was thinking about a design problem he gets asked if he is depressed. What? Only later on he often appears like he can't enjoy even the brightest moments of his success.

The Pink Panther 2
Loved the political incorrectness stuff, the rest was ok.

In Bruges
I''m not sure what to make of the violence loving Chloe role but everything else was brilliant.

Blindness
Could have been better but interesting idea in the line of Children of Men, Das Experiment, 28 days later, I am Legend stuff. Love dystopias and or comments on society and humanity.

Hairspray
Enjoyable light hearted music movie.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #208
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
In Bruges
I''m not sure what to make of the violence loving Chloe role but everything else was brilliant.
Stop the presses! There is something we agree on!
Old 08-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #209
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Planet of the Apes
Great movie. A bit slow beginning by todays standards. I'm of course talking about the 1968 movie, of which the dvd cover already reveals the big plot-twist. Made me wish for the return of thoughtful sci-fi movies that have something to say or talk about.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Entirely forgettable action-flick. Very predictable. If you saw the trailer you can pretty much tell the whole movie. Kept checking my watch pretty much every 10 minutes.

The Hurt Locker
Good movie about a bomb-squad in Iraq. Since it got an oscar the price for the blu-ray jumped up considerably and only came down recently, finally allowing me to buy it. I'm just not sure if it's a movie about war or against war? Well worth watching.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #210
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Predators (2010)

Completely rehashes the first films general plot points and mood and yet manages to be very entertaining. Pleasantly surprised.

RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote