About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Movies & Television

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #166
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Re: Last movie impressions

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
I liked the calm style of the movie, with some occasional bursts of pitiless violence, but the story had the same boredom level as There will be blood.
Actually i think the cutter could have removed more than half of the movie without touching anything. Also it was missing a proper intro. It assumes the viewer knows Jesse James' biography by heart? The last few minutes gives some ideas of his position within the society, which seemed to love him despite him being a murdering sociopath...? Instead of focusing so much on a more or less uninteresting assassination it should have told more about Jesses past and also explained the motivations of Robert Ford much better. I mean before the big kill he shoots one of his "roommates" while that man had a reason to be shooting around, and he had not? He suddenly goes to the police after being accused of reminding Jesse of someone else. Ok, in a weird way very plausible, but why did no authority just arrest him? He has been a cruel enemy before i assume, and some people liked him, so he had some backup in the people, ok, but living with him for some time, doing the job alone while appearing as totally afraid of the man ... shooting him in the back takes two guys some weeks(?) ... wtf? Are we in a Lucky Luke western reality were you have to wait for the perfect moment?

Death at a Funeral
Brilliant turbulent black comedy which ignores the usual respect on funerals while being able to keep the respect for the man in the coffin.

Village Without Women
About three brothers, farmers, living outside of a really small village without women in Serbia. They hear that in Albania villages exist were the situation is exactly otherwise. So one brother eagerly gets a passport...
Rural depopulation is a problem in many regions, but here the movie not only shows men searching for partners but also searching in a country were they fought in war some years earlier. So it's not only a documentary about some "lowered expectations" figures but also about countries trying to find a way back to normality, to peace. Awkwardly funny, when "e-mail" is a totally alien word, but never laughing at those characters which appear like they have been left behind in previous sometimes even in 19th century. Appearing like hard working, sort of nice guys, presumable not well educated, definitely poor considering the ruinous house, without a bathroom!, so they, even if this movie gave them some fame, will have a hard time to find their princesses their Playboy magazines make them dream of.

@frogofdeath
yeah, the CGI version. I haven't seen the original and Dr. Seuss was actually a new name for me.

Last edited by crackajack; 06-06-2011 at 05:14 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #167
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Source Code
Writers, if you have some deus ex machina plot device, please don't try to "explain" it with what you think is "science". The ending killed it for me. Do not recommend.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #168
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

X-Men: First Class
The X here stands for excellent. After two quite underwelming movies (with the last stand being downright terrible) I'm surprised how well this one turned out. It's not just good compared to the previous X-Men, it's good compared to the best comic book movies out there and can easily stand next to (or even atop) Batman Begins. Still not as good as the Dark Knight, but First Class immediately became number 2 in my list of favourite comic book movies. The leads are well worth watching, especially Fassbender has an enormous presence, McAvoy makes a more interesting Dr. X than Captain Picard before him and Kevin Bacon seems to genuinely enjoy himself. Go, watch!

Thor
After watching First Class it's pretty obvious how 'average' Thor is. It's not a bad movie by any stretch, but it just misses a spark. It looks rather dumb next to First Class. Natalie Portman is still cute though.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 AM   #169
JLB1987
Sex machine

Watchmen
I should start off by saying that I didn't really enjoy the book of Watchmen on first reading; however, that was several years ago, and I'm now tempted to re-read it after seeing the film last night. I thought it was very good, perhaps just short of excellent.

I went in expecting a lot of the characterisation to be lost; I'm pretty sure I was right from what I can remember. But to be honest, this doesn't harm the film as much as I might have thought. All the main characters are fairly well fleshed out, it's just that a lot of the history made up for the comic book isn't included here (for example, you only see Hooded Justice, the original masked crime-fighter in the comic book, very briefly, and nothing is actually mentioned about him). However, the film is long enough as it is, so overall I think this was for the best.

The acting is universally excellent; special mentions have to go to Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan as The Comedian. Both portrayed their characters flawlessly, in my opinion, just how I imagined they should be.

I also like what they did with the ending; I actually preferred the ending to the film to the comic book. I assume the changes were made because of technical reasons (what happens in the comic book would have been very difficult to do on screen), but it's definitely more satisfying. The ending of the comic book is what I hated the most about it.

Overall, I loved it. I'd give it an 8/10.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #170
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Operation Kingdom
Had some good ideas but it never felt like the drama it wanted to be.

The Wrestler
I did not like the bloody version of wrestling, and the show elements were ridiculously acted but beside that great movie about those two aging characters.

The Illusionist
Actually well done but i thought at the twist ending moment that it could have done it in a different way. Less Hollywood happily ever after. The mirror scene offered that.

Into the Blue
Alba looked awesome.
The rest was boring.

Rocky Balboa
Similar to The Wrestler and it was quite good until the moment the boxing began. The choreography was done in a way that Jackie Chan would have been proud of it. Ridiculous.

The Incredibles
Kind of a simple Watchmen for kids. Good. CGI is great.

Corrina, Corrina
Ok, but a little too lighthearted to support its story.

Bride Wars
Absurd story but to some degree enjoyable.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #171
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Mimic (1997)

Decent! A better horror film than I would've expected, anyway. Thin on likable characters*, but some good establishing environmental tableau for the monsters. The early shots where you see the creatures just here and there for a second are excellent.

THEM! (1954)

Still the best giant bug movie ever made. Why? Because they built giant ant puppets that move in a believable fashion and they dont dick around with character development at the expense of slowing the momentum. Every monster movie ever made owes it's life to this great little film.

Metropia (2009)

thrown together Philip K Dick- wannabe paranoia sci-fi (boring nebbish hears voices in his head but only on the subway, suspects conspiracy, discovers conspiracy, meets smart girl, becomes terrorist, bombs evil corporation zzzz) with strange looking CGI puppet people who only move right or left or in or out of frame. No lateral movements in the whole film. Didn't like this movie strongly, seriously.

*MIMIC Pet peeve- dont sell me a female character as a ethically challenged career geneticist who dooms a whole species, and then expect me to care that her home pregnancy test came out negative. And anyway, pregnancy test bathroom scenes dont belong in giant bug movies. Ever, Ever, EVER. For any reason.

Last edited by RandomRob; 06-15-2011 at 04:30 PM.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:13 AM   #172
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Vicky Cristina Barcelona
A blabla-movie about people being unhappy about anything that's not the ultimate fulfillment of their (current) wishes and searching/waiting for the perfect thing (that never comes).
Yet another Allen movie i don't necessarily dislike but not like either, it felt too often too artificial.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #173
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Delirious
With some more polish it could have been a wonderful movie about fame, friendship, loneliness & appreciation.

Body of Lies
Even when American movies try to be insightfully, the Wild West mentality and misunderstanding of other cultures seems to shine through. Also i did not get what the movie was actually about. Maybe it just wanted to have the message of Americas world police duties failing all the time?

He's Just Not That Into You
Fine little romantic comedy with an partly happy, partly unhappy, and so realistic, ending.

Role Models
Simple childish comedy, but i liked it.

Banlieue 13
Anyone liked Sime Sez? I did. I like action movies that are so terrible bad that it is funny. This here is better but still has a vast amount of bad lines in between those great parkour action scenes so it was very enjoyable.
Escape from New York, in Paris, could have been a great movie if the setup would have been more cleverly done and the political component not so naive, without the James Bond villain bullshit.

L'empire des loups
The first hour was brilliant, but the second not. It would have been a much better movie if it would have had some paranormal Fox Mulder stuff in it, because the scientifical explanations and the end made the characters and some horror scenes at the beginning totally nonsensical.

The Commitments
The singing was ok, but the rest most of the time boring with nonsensical quarrelings. A movie about an Irish soul band, great idea. But then show a little more of Dublin and there problems.

The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers
Most disturbing message was that he, Ellsberg, was disappointed by the American people who know after his leak more about the lies but still went on to ignore them.
Bush got also elected twice, so it seems that nothing has changed.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #174
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides
Another movie I had to endure in 3D since the cinema in my town doesn't to 2D versions anymore it seems. Before I start ranting about sitting in a cinema with glorified sunglasses on:
The movie was actually enjoyable. Not as good as the first one, but at least a step in the right direction after the terrible third movie. I don't mind Legolas and Keira Toothpick missing in action but it does feel like the movie is missing something, or better someone. Someone sane among all that chaos. The missionary just wasn't a good substitute for the blacksmiths apprentice. We're obviously setting sail for PotC 5, since the pirates are not done with raiding our wallets yet.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #175
gamevet

I just recently watched the remake of the John Wayne classic, True Grit. Jeff Bridges did an outstanding job portraying the role of Rooster Cogburn, but the real star of the movie was Hailee Steinfeld in her role as Mattie Ross; Her portrayal of the character was simply amazing.

The movie was pretty much a line for line duplicate of the original, and my view was further cemented when I happened to catch the last hour of the original airing on Universal HD. There were a few darker moments in the remake though, like how the scene with Little Blacky went down and the ending scene where we see a much older Mattie attempting to visit Rooster. Remake or not, this movie is worth the view.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #176
shortstory
New Poster

I just watched Limitless I wasnt expecting I liked the movie so much as I liked it now. I thought it was a boring film about crime. But it was perfect movie, I like the story and actos. sound track was great too.
shortstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #177
crackajack
32-bit Poster

LOL (Laughing out loud)
Sort of La Boum 3. Especially since Sophie Marceau is now the mom.
Nice, but like Eragon it's not really the Lord of the Rings of love movies.

The China Syndrome
30 years old. Still frighteningly up to date.

Wild About Harry (2000)
Good idea, rather boring execution.

Kinamand
A true gem.
Reminded me of American Splendor. If you liked that or In the Mood for Love i guess you should watch this.

Gran Torino
Much better than Million Dollar Baby.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #178
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Haven't checked this thread in some time, but here are some of my recent views:

Predators
A really enjoyable movie, especially with how bad it potentially could have been. A few things were a little lame, but overall, I wouldn't mind seeing a direct sequel.

Terminator Salvation
Wasn't expecting much and thus was pleasantly surprised. Definitely better than the third installment, but still not close to the first two. Something seemed missing, but not sure exactly what it was (more Terminators maybe?).

The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Another movie based on a classic children's book that left me feeling eh (the first being Where the Wild Things Are). The movie was okay, with bonus points given for the style, but completely missed the point of the source material. Children's books should only be made into movies if they stay original to the source.

The King's Speech
Not really on my list of "must-see", but turned out to be a lot better than I had anticipated. Not sure it was the best film of 2010, but definitely a good view.

True Grit (2010)
Never saw the original, but this movie was splendid. Love the Coen brothers, Bridges, and westerns - this included all three. Couldn't help but laugh at a few times when the Dude showed up, but still a great movie. Really wish more westerns were made in Hollywood today, even if they are remakes.

Tron
Actually the first time I have seen this movie. Fun from a videogame nerd point-of-view, but really, the movie wasn't very good. Not bad, but not good.

Blue Valentine
Not sure with this movie. Felt like I was watching a camera crew follow a troubled couple around and that the problem never was resolved, one way or the other. In fact, it almost seemed like this was not actually a story, but just an observation. Guess I just don't get it. Another movie that I didn't feel was bad, but not like I'll be re-watching it

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
The Incredibles
Kind of a simple Watchmen for kids. Good. CGI is great.
Wow, "simple" is such an understatement! A)Better than Watchmen (which I found to be a solid movie). B)Until Up, possibly the best movie put out by Pixar. Though I'm slightly partial to Brad Bird animated movies. If you haven't yet, and enjoy animation, check out The Iron Giant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Gran Torino
Much better than Million Dollar Baby.
Never saw Million Dollar Baby myself, but for me Gran Turino is one of the best movies I've seen this past decade. Not sure if it was one thing, but the story was superb, the acting excellent, and the ending was phenomenal.

Last edited by frogofdeath; 07-04-2011 at 12:52 PM.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #179
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Mao's Last Dancer
Discovered the DVD case at Target and was intrigued by the true story of a Chinese ballet dancer who defects to the US. I rented it on Netflix and was really was really moved by the story. The cast of actual ballet dancers is amazing and makes me embarrassed for anyone who thought Natalie Portman--flapping her arms around--did all her own dancing in The Black Swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post

Predators
A really enjoyable movie, especially with how bad it potentially could have been. A few things were a little lame, but overall, I wouldn't mind seeing a direct sequel.

Terminator Salvation
Wasn't expecting much and thus was pleasantly surprised. Definitely better than the third installment, but still not close to the first two. Something seemed missing, but not sure exactly what it was (more Terminators maybe?).
Your impression of both films pretty much match mine in that I was surprised at how good both were.

The problem with both film franchises is that neither have a rich enough science-fiction to sustain any sort of believable mythology (Terminator in particular), but yet both movies do a convincing job and while they don't surpass the original films, they both had some smart writing and elevate the source material in a way that few of the other sequels did.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #180
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I think Bale's performance and the writing of John Conner made him a angry martyrish non character in Salvation, and since he's kindof the center of the whole thing, I thought it gave the film an odd tone. We're supposed to follow the mysterious stranger and that's all well and good, but you know right off he can't replace Conner as the center of the story, so you keep waiting for the shoe to drop and Bale to come out and make the audience cheer and he, well....

eh.

My favorite thing in Salvation were the mechanical noises the Terminator's made. It gave them a threatening sonic weight they hadnt had in any earlier film. (Even in T2, for all their clanking, they still seemed lightweight and flimsy)

And I liked T3- It had a surprise down-ending and the best truck chase/property damage scene EVER.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote