About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
Kin Korn Karn

Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Red Faction is being played abround half an hour every time I get a session on the 360, because I'm on the last mission and can't do it (I'm playing on hard mode). Hoping that I'll get through it soon, as I really want to get back onto the side missions that I've missed. Awesome game, but the last mission is way too difficult.
I agree 100%. I loved this game and had so much fun playing it. Then the final mission is handed to you. Nothing that you do in the game leading up to this task prepares you for what you are asked to do. The game will remain unfinished on my shelf. I tried to beat it for a week before I gave up.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #17
JLB1987
Sex machine

I'm going to be perservering at it. It's such a great game, it seems almost a shame that I can't go back to most of the side missions until I do that final mission.

You're right, you're not prepared for it- up until that point, the most difficult aspect of the game is getting the "pro" times in the side missions. The main missions are almost all pretty easy until the (what I hope is) the last mission. Did you play through it on hard mode as well, or is it equally as ridiculous on normal/ easy mode?
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Yesterday I got my Big League callup from the White Sox in MLB09; after two years in the minors and fighting off stiff competition in Spring Training, I made the #4 starting pitcher's spot.

First game of the season and my big league debut was in New York against the Yankees, where I was booed to the mound by the home fans.

Pitched seven innings, allowing one run, and getting the Win. It was tough at times, and the game really managed to create an atmosphere which made you really feel you were pitching at Yankee Stadium. I am absurdly happy, for some reason.

It's all downhill from here. I'm afraid to pitch my second game.

Must go and give LA Noire a blast for a couple of hours.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #19
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
I'm going to be perservering at it. It's such a great game, it seems almost a shame that I can't go back to most of the side missions until I do that final mission.

You're right, you're not prepared for it- up until that point, the most difficult aspect of the game is getting the "pro" times in the side missions. The main missions are almost all pretty easy until the (what I hope is) the last mission. Did you play through it on hard mode as well, or is it equally as ridiculous on normal/ easy mode?
I'm pretty sure I was playing normal mode. I enjoyed the challenges and pretty much completed most all objectives and missions prior to the end-game mission.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Giving Dark Star One (PC) a go. Kinda like it. Space combat/trading game. Visuals and game feel reminds me of Bang!Gunship Elite and a bit of Colony Wars.

available for 9.99$ on Steam right now, bundled with Patrican III and the Great Art Race
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #21
JLB1987
Sex machine

Back on Fallout 3 now, after an erratic few sessions of not really being able to decide what to play on the Xbox. Consdering it's a fairly big world, it didn't take me long to get settled back into things (no thanks to the lack of a journal-type screen- knew what missions I had to do, where to go, but no idea what had happened beforehand). Luckily it's mostly come back to me now.

Currently on the Operaion: Anchorage DLC, and I'm hating it almost as much as Mothership Zeta. Possbly more. I'll have to see when I finish it, but I hope it doesn't go on for too much longer. The DLC I've played so far (this, Zeta, and The Pitt) have all been awful, each in their own special way.

Really looking forward to Point Lookout, though.

Just restarted Arkham Asylum on hard mode, but I don't know how far I'll get as my Xbox 360 time is pretty limited. Expected the fighting to be way too difficult without the indicator that tells you when to counter, but so far it's actually ok. Wish I did hard mode on my first playthrough now.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #22
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

'Splosion Man - my current choice to play during late night baby duty. Quite an enjoyable platformer.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Japanese import) - probably not one of the best games to play with no knowledge of the Japanese language, but am currently on the lookout for a player's guide.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #23
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Sunday night again, goddammit! Hope everybody had a good gaming weekend.

Witcher 2: Finished Chapter 1. It has been very good and very frustrating at the same time. Most of the frustration stems from lag, which is the fault of my PC, but there is also the storyline. At the beginning I gave it the benefit of the doubt - it was like the Malazan Books of the Fallen, where you're dropped into the middle of the story and have to work out what's going on. You have to work a little harder, and never have the full story. That can be rewarding, and I was all for it. However at the start of Chapter 2 I am making decisions for characters I have never met or heard of to that point (King Henselt), so that's a little weird. How am I supposed to know what that character would do? And if those decisions are essentially meaningless, and it doesn't matter what I choose, then why have me make them? Strange.

Demon's Souls NG+: Ha ha, I have half a mind to go for 100% on this game, and spent a fair bit of time working out what that would entail. Basically I'd have to finish the NG+ playthrough, and then do it all two and a half more times after that. Got the 'Learned all Miracles' achievement this weekend, and am at 56% completion.

LA Noire: It finally clicked with me and I finished off the Traffic Cases. Pros: Beautiful gameworld, great acting, interesting game mechanic. Cons: they'll never live up to the movies and fiction about this period, some of the cases seem a little half-baked, clunky cover system.

Last edited by Pedro; 05-29-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #24
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Demon's Souls NG+: Ha ha, I have half a mind to go for 100% on this game, and spent a fair bit of time working out what that would entail. Basically I'd have to finish the NG+ playthrough, and then do it all two and a half more times after that. Got the 'Learned all Miracles' achievement this weekend, and am at 56% completion.
Why would you need to complete the game two and a half more times???

Never played Demon's Souls unfortunately. I think in an age where achievments are at stake and people are going to be more likely to try and finish a game 100%, a game should be 100% completable on the first play through. Anything more than twice just annoys me.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #25
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Why would you need to complete the game two and a half more times???
[...]
I think in an age where achievments are at stake and people are going to be more likely to try and finish a game 100%, a game should be 100% completable on the first play through

That's nothing unusual for RPG. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Demon's Souls etc. have in common that it's impossible to get 100% achievements in one playthrough. If you want to ban this you're making a case for less freedom of choice in RPG, where I have to yell objection!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #26
JLB1987
Sex machine

I see your point. But an RPG is the *last* game I would wanna run through four times. Especially if it was just for achievements.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #27
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Nobody forces you to. For most of the games I played I have about 30% of achievements. Some games less than 10%. So what? I don't let some arbitrary number govern the way I play a game.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #28
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Nobody forces you to. For most of the games I played I have about 30% of achievements. Some games less than 10%. So what? I don't let some arbitrary number govern the way I play a game.
I know, I generally have around 30% for games I have finished, and have never had any interest in getting any more - in fact it annoys me when those trophies pop up on screen.

Until Demon's Souls. For some reason this game has turned me into a grind-happy trophy whore. I'm even looking back at other games thinking, I need to get some more trophies. I fired up Flower again so that I could get the 'Contemplate the scenery for three minutes after completing a level' trophy. What have I become?

JLB, the Demon's Souls trophies are things like, collect all unique weapons, collect all the Rings, learn all the Miracles and Magic Spells. For each of these you have to spend boss souls, ie you need the Dragon God's soul for the blacksmith to upgrade some weapons, and to learn two different spells. So that is 3 playthroughs right there. More if you accidentally kill the blacksmith on one of your playthroughs
Old 05-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #29
JLB1987
Sex machine

I guess it's not so bad with Demon's Souls. It's with games like Fallout 3 it bothers me. There are different achievements for getting to level 30, for whether you are good, bad or neutral. It's fairly easy to cheat your way around getting these, I'd imagine (just load up old saves, kill a bunch of civilians...), but it just seems cheap.

I'm not overly bothered with achievements, make no mistake. But I do seem to have a very mild OCD, and so there is always this underlying bother in the back of my mind when I finish a game, but have only earned a few of the achievements! I just like to use the achievements as a guideline as to how much I've got out of a game, rather than a pretty pointless number on your profile.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #30
JLB1987
Sex machine

Mentioned already on the MK thread, but playing Mortal Kombat. To summarise, fucking brilliant. Love it so far.

Also playing Terraria, an indie game on Steam. One of the best games I've played in a while. It's been described as a 2D Minecraft, and although I've never played Minecraft, I can see why. Played it a lot more since first mentioning it on another thread, and it's a lot of fun, and completely satisfying. No real goals other than to explore and create. I'd really like to try out the multi-player side of Terraria, so if anyone decides to try it (only 5.99!), let me know