About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #1816
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Good report on RDR! I find that I'm getting fonder of the game as I get farther away from having played it, and it's usually the opposite for me. For example, Mass Effect 2 was great while I was playing it, but after I finished it and time went on, I was thinking, "Wait, that bit was a bit lame. Also, that bit...and that.."

With RDR, there were definitely large parts which I didn't enjoy playing, but I actually look back fondly on it as a whole. Loved the ending
Thanks As I said, there were bits that are definitely tedious, but the things I should have hated (flower collecting (lol), hunting, basically collectable-based things), got pretty addictive. It was almost entirely optional, and I found a lot of fun was to be had searching for the different animals you could hunt for the challenges. Almost like Pokemon, except you only collect the skins.

Portal
Finally did it. Wanted a nice short game to follow up RDR with, and so I thought I'd give Portal another try, after completing almost all of it in a single playthrough a while back, and then just... giving up. Not through frustration. Certainly not boredom, as that would be too strong a word. It's certainly a solid game. Love the gimmick (on my first playthrough, when you wake up in the cell at the beginning of the game, I called my missus in from the kitchen to show her how that first portal worked. I got a "Uh. That's good".* It blew my fucking mind!!!)

I'm just completely indifferent to the game. It's not bad, but it's not that good either. Very average, in my opinion. Although I have a feeling I would have appreciated it more if everybody didn't start saying "The cake is a lie!" all the time following Portal's release. The gun turrets melted my cold, bitter heart though, which is something you can't say is expected in a game.

*This is coming from the woman who was amazed that the escalators in Dead Rising work.

Last edited by JLB1987; 05-15-2011 at 04:40 PM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 AM   #1817
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Trials HD Big Thrills
More tracks than the Big Pack expansion, good, but as i'm now sufficiently trained to finish them in a rather short time more would be better.
So the major error of the game is the editor having no community exchange features. Playing LBP style would be really awesome.
The rest is great as usual, though i would prefer it if i could straighten up my driver when i did land on my helmet (+ one wheel) without having lethally crashed. Always odd when there is no way to continue though it does not end automatically either.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #1818
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog View Post
Thank you, that's exactly what I meant. I have the tendency to expect more from video games than mere entertainment, and shoveling through the mud in search of hidden gems has been getting very disheartening lately.
I don't mean to derail my own topic too much, but I'll digress.

So how are your making your gaming purchases/decisions these days? Reviews?

I'm curious because I too would like to avoid plowing through crap to find a good game. It takes a bit of research, but I trust my instincts and favor the opinions of a few trusted resources before I make the commitment to play a game. I'm just a bit confused how one can get so angry at the games they are playing, what with the resources we have at hand to help make an informed decision prior to purchase/investment of time.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #1819
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Today I Die Again
The iOS version of Today I Die. A very short game and difficult to explain without spoiling the experience. The pc version is apparently available for free (a donation) while the ios version costs 99 cents. Take a look if you have a dollar to spare and some minutes free time.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #1820
Kin Korn Karn

Took care of the Honest Hearts DLC for Fallout NV today. Nicely done, and among the better Fallout DLC available between FO3 and NV. I like open world (Honest Hearts, Point Lookout) instead of linear (Operation Anchorage, Mothership Zeta). Some nice loot too.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #1821
Gog
New Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
I don't mean to derail my own topic too much, but I'll digress.

So how are your making your gaming purchases/decisions these days? Reviews?

I'm curious because I too would like to avoid plowing through crap to find a good game. It takes a bit of research, but I trust my instincts and favor the opinions of a few trusted resources before I make the commitment to play a game. I'm just a bit confused how one can get so angry at the games they are playing, what with the resources we have at hand to help make an informed decision prior to purchase/investment of time.

I read reviews for the sake of being informed and getting to know the opinion of others, but they do not influence my choice very much. Games with no redeemable value win countless awards, while games I love are kicked in the face and left out to die. There is no one I can trust to make an informed decision.

Thus, I tend to buy games impulsively, regardless of review scores, listening only to my gut feelings or emotional reactions toward a game's concept.

For example, Deadly Premonition; weird Japanese art-house game with a Twin Peaks-vibe = instant buy. The gameplay is crap? The graphics look dated? IGN gave it a 2? Destructoid mockingly gave it a 10, calling it a beautiful trainwreck? I don't care. I sense this game is different, I sense the developers poured their hearts into it. As a result, I bought the game the day it was released.

I am very forgiving if the game's soul is in the right place and if it does at least something right. Also, artistic merit, emotional resonance (for story-driven games) and cohesion are very important to me. I get angry when these very basic expectations of mine are not met, when I come to the realization that my gut feeling was wrong (it happens quite often). Don't you think it's perfectly normal to be angry when one's expectations are shattered by what looked like, from a personal viewpoint, a very promising title?
Gog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #1822
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
Took care of the Honest Hearts DLC for Fallout NV today. Nicely done, and among the better Fallout DLC available between FO3 and NV. I like open world (Honest Hearts, Point Lookout) instead of linear (Operation Anchorage, Mothership Zeta). Some nice loot too.
Mothership Zeta was abysmal, as was the DLC in 3 where you help the slaves (although I rate that one slightly above Zeta).

Did you ever play the first DLC for New Vegas? How did that measure up compared to the stuff in Fallout 3? As someone waiting for the inevitable (I hope) GOTY edition of New Vegas, I'm eager to know these things.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #1823
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog View Post
Don't you think it's perfectly normal to be angry when one's expectations are shattered by what looked like, from a personal viewpoint, a very promising title?
Indeed, and good point. Do you rent games or purchase? I may start renting for these very reasons, and the fact that I don't have as much time these days to do the amount of research I used to prior to purchases.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #1824
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Mothership Zeta was abysmal, as was the DLC in 3 where you help the slaves (although I rate that one slightly above Zeta).

Did you ever play the first DLC for New Vegas? How did that measure up compared to the stuff in Fallout 3? As someone waiting for the inevitable (I hope) GOTY edition of New Vegas, I'm eager to know these things.
I'm going to respond over at this Fallout thread so we don't muddy this up
Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #1825
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Kane&Lynch 2: Dog Days (PC)
I really liked the Dead Men original. Played it several times alone and also in coop. Liked the antihero bad guy main characters with their issues and also the world tour they made.
Here they seemed to have removed everything that was good in the first one.
Limiting the story to Shanghai is especially in the beginning very boring. But the airport and the shipyard later were really interesting.
They actually removed the Coop aspect of the game from single player. There are no team commands for the occasional buddys anymore. And this time playing Lynch and getting shot means you first get downed and then die or stand up again. No adrenaline shot anymore which was a far better punishment/ second chance. Kane does not do anything. Sometimes it appears as though i'm fighting alone. Sure, Kane doesn't have to run around in front of me all the time, but i barely notice his presence, while exactly those life extending measurement in the original did that. I had the feeling of a buddy that helped me out and vice versa. No need to help him.
Coop now online. Good? No, since no one's playing the game anymore and online is the only way of playing coop. So i have no chance of getting in this way a coop experience.
The actual MP is also dead. I was late to the party at Dead Men and here also the same. The mode sounds interesting but no chance to play them at least against bots. Barely months after release the game is half broken, great!
I can appreciate the vision they had in the visual style without liking it. It often looks like the original slightly improved but with weird effects. They'd better invest more time in improving it more than trying to be special.
Sound is really interesting. Monolith had often some strange compositions, but i think IO/ Mona Mur did also a good job.
Aiming worked imo much better in the original. Here i hit nothing for no visible reason while recoil seem to be gone, so the cross-hair is on the enemy and rounds go somewhere. Grenades are also gone and exchanged for pick up the extinguisher and throw it mechanics. Why? Finding and throwing an extinguisher is cool once but then you miss deciding for yourself when to use explosives since usage is limited to certain places where they placed those MacGyver bombs.
Nevertheless it's no real disaster- maybe because i just paid 3 for the Limited Edition (new! incl. shipping!)-, but improving a very decent game, which imo only needed some polish, in every aspect to the worse is a feat i don't understand. The story of Dead Men was a missed opportunity with a rather strange climax in this war scenario in the end but Dog Days' story was really ignorable from start to end.

Cogs (PC)
A slider puzzle game with three game modes.
The main goal in inventor mode is to finish the puzzles. Optionally solving it in a certain time or with a certain number of moves.
Challenge mode uses the same levels but different starting configurations, and it's the aim to either win in 30 seconds or just use 10 moves.
I've done everything except the optional objectives in inventor mode, because the latter levels are hard enough without trying to achieve that. It took about 11 hours already and that's enough for me with a puzzle mechanic that is sometimes frustrating when moving one piece to the correct place moves three others away from their correct position...
but i liked it.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:57 AM   #1826
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Kane&Lynch 2: Dog Days (PC)
I can appreciate the vision they had in the visual style without liking it. It often looks like the original slightly improved but with weird effects. They'd better invest more time in improving it more than trying to be special.
I found the visual design to be terrible. With the youtube-filter on I got motion sickness before I cleared out the first room of the demo. With the fancy youtube-gimmicks off I realized how bad the textures were and how ugly this game really looks. Didn't even finish the demo.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #1827
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I found the visual design to be terrible.
Either the effects got more subtle in the course of the game or i was able to ignore them fully. I did not like them, but they were the lesser problem.

God of War 1 (HD Collection)
Disappointing, and not even on a high level.
The way the story was told, great, also the redone CGIs, the in-game graphics looked ok, but man, Kratos is an unlikable asshole with some serious issues. He kills for glory, gets almost killed, kills some more, gets angry because he killed, decides to kill someone, kills everyone on his way of killing that particular person, becomes himself the chief of killing.
He ought to stop whining(!) and accept his defeat and not blame a God for his own actions. Really hated the role of this man which is desperate, stubborn and enjoys playing the victim, projecting the guilt of his nightmares on others.
His stupid, egoistic, whining character never connected with the brutal gameplay which Jaffe intended in those developer videos in the extras section.
The gameplay was also rather suboptimal. Manual camera work often also sucks, but then only because it gets in the way of the button mashing. But here i often don't see my enemies because i would have to move below them to be able to fight upwards. Left and right is on the border of visible.
Evading with the right stick was imho also an odd design decision. I have to move my character with both sticks, so "it does buttons" was not in effect at that day? It reacts also weird. The previous action has to be fully executed before it will work? So being hit while performing anything is quite easy, being hit multiple times also because after getting hit the got hit animation has to be finish before i would be able to evade? Performing a second evade move takes also a rather considerable amount of time. With blocking similar... The whole mechanism and timing never went into my DNA. Batman is as intuitive as a game can be and after each difficulty of Bayonetta i was ready to step one level up, but here i admitted my defeat and accepted the proposal of playing just easy. Was only at the really last boss, but at least normal should be doable for a sort of experienced player i thought i am. Hard and God Mode should be for those b'em'u frame counting people. So balancing could have been improved.
I liked the scale of some scenes, especially with the knowledge that it originally had to run on a PS2.
I understand when people can't love the strangeness of Bayonetta but putting God of War in the mediocre area was much easier for me.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #1828
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Oregon Trail (iPad):
Quick back story, I was given an iPad for the summer to find educational things to do with this fancy-shmancy device. Being a history teacher, one of my first things was to download the Oregon Trail remake. What a great purchase.

Just as fun as the original. Some things were definitely better: 1) graphics (though the original is still "charming"), 2)addition of achievements (might make me replay), and 3)tongue-in-cheek humor of meeting historical figures along the trail (George Donner giving you delicious food!). The game was also a bit longer than I remember the original, as it took me a couple sittings to complete. Resolution was a little off (app was made for the iPhone screen), but still not that bad.

Rob, if you read this, any clue if this is the same as the Oregon Trail for the DS you've mentioned?
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #1829
ubergoat
New Poster

Red Faction: Guerilla

Got it earlier last week because I was thinking I'd want to get Armageddon, that didn't happen just because the reviews are telling me it's not worth (for me) buying for $60. Anyway, found Guerilla to be good mindless fun, never played another game that lets you destroy your environment so completely. My only complaint about the destruction is I wish it was a tad more realistic. I had one big building supported completely on one tiny ass pole off to one side, I took a step back and looked at it from every angle and it was JUST the one support beam in a corner of a building holding up the entire superstructure, the story could have done with some more fleshing out but...hey, it's not like I expected an amazing story or anything of the sort. I went and watched Red Faction Origins right after for fun too :P
ubergoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #1830
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
Oregon Trail (iPad):
Quick back story, I was given an iPad for the summer to find educational things to do with this fancy-shmancy device. Being a history teacher, one of my first things was to download the Oregon Trail remake. What a great purchase.

Just as fun as the original. Some things were definitely better: 1) graphics (though the original is still "charming"), 2)addition of achievements (might make me replay), and 3)tongue-in-cheek humor of meeting historical figures along the trail (George Donner giving you delicious food!). The game was also a bit longer than I remember the original, as it took me a couple sittings to complete. Resolution was a little off (app was made for the iPhone screen), but still not that bad.

Rob, if you read this, any clue if this is the same as the Oregon Trail for the DS you've mentioned?
(looking online)

Yep, same version! Glad you liked I thought it was a lot of fun.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote