About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #1771
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (played on PC with XBox Pad)
The black and white silent movie style and the music were well done, the story was amusing nonsense (about cakes and little hungry Percy and a fire and blabla) but the core were the diverse puzzles.
Every variant of the clone gameplay was introduced in easy start levels in each chapter and then got harder to the end. Especially liked the "evil" clones when i was forced to plan my routes to not touch with myself. Tough when 5 of my clones are already endlessly repeating their routes and finding a way through. AI movement is bad in some games but playing kind of against yourself is great.
I had to look up the solution on one quite early level ... i doubt i would have done it myself in the correct way ever. But overall it's not that hard. At least i found everything else doable.
The extra levels were also fun. It got more intuitive after the first hours spent in story mode. Repeating and of course altering my approach brought me continually to better solutions. Though not even close to the best when i look at the leaderboards. It got more active less static than at the beginning when i wasn't used to the controls and the mechanics and often just examined it until i knew how to do it.

Steam sale price was a steal, regular price of 3.99€ is very ok for the quality, but 800 MSP feels slightly too high for the play time of in my case 10 hours (incl. all bonus levels). I guess -5 if you are a puzzle expert, +5 if you're into climbing leaderboards.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #1772
Gog
New Poster

Vanquish

It was a very good experience for me. I was feeling up to the challenge, so I tried Hard mode right away, and found a game that's deep, exciting and tough-as-nails (124 total deaths in a 6 hour campaign). Still, when I died, it did not feel cheap; I knew exactly when I screwed up, and how to get the better of my enemies in subsequent battles.

Also, interestingly, the suit worn by the main character often seems like it is an enemy in itself; it needs to be dominated and kept under tight control, because pushing it too far will result in yet another death. En résumé, the gameplay is rich, complex, rewarding, and fun to master.

I was a bit skeptical of the game's aesthetics at first (I found it a bit washed-out and shallow), but it grew on me after a while; the game's locations, as well as the design of the enemies and the main character, are rife with vivid details and colors (can't say the same about the generic space marines that accompany you, though).

Unfortunately, it is lacking in variety and length, and the whole story/characters/voice acting aspect is putrid, to say the least. Even so, the rest has been done masterfully.

Highly recommended.

Last edited by Gog; 03-12-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Gog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #1773
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Happened about a week ago, but completed the main mode of Mario vs. Donkey Kong: March of the Minis. Currently playing some of the extra levels, but the "plus" levels are kind of lame.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #1774
crackajack
32-bit Poster

I beat Zicos time trial trophy challenge in Wipeout HD.
A single track, half of the logged thousand rounds spent trying this, about 5 hours!- so it deserves an own reply- and finally 0,01 faster. Thanks to my arcade stick which made it possible/ slightly easier. The original pad is just meh for those rolls. Torturing a stick is easier, although harder to steer in between. The triggers of the pad suck btw.

Last edited by crackajack; 03-24-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #1775
gotthammer
New Poster

I finished Dragon Age 2 a few days ago.
It took me between 60 - 70 hours.
I enjoyed it, but was quite disappointed.
I also agree w/ most of points raised by the Brad person in his, IMHO, rather harsh review (I personally give it no more than a 7/10, but not lower than a 6/10).
gotthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #1776
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Killzone 3
It is in every respect better than Killzone 2. Controls feel more responsive, without loosing the 'weighty' feel of Killzone. The graphics are also better. Not just from a technical standpoint, but also in terms of variety and: colors! The color palette is not limited to grey, brown and greyish-brown anymore, which really helps in making a game not look boring. My favourite level is the stealth-section in the helghan jungle of death. Apart from stealthy sneaking action, some vehicle and turrent sections are also making a comeback to break up the action. Unlike in Killzone 2 everything stays 1st person, no 3rd person vehicle sections anymore.

The on-rails shooting galleries are my only complaint in terms of levels. Especially the last ones are a tad frustrating. Story is half decent. I can relate much more than I could in the predecessor. Partly because the characters manage to talk in a normal fashion and without excessive swearing. In the Killzone 2 there were some weird sections where a tank would wait for you single soldier to clear the bridge. That doesn't happen anymore. I had the feeling I'm part of an ongoing war, not the lone focal point.

I haven't played multiplayer yet, but I will surely try my luck. Overall I like it more than Killzone 2, Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops or any Halo I played (1 and 2 ), which makes it my favourite FPS since CoD 4. Also by virtue of not being a semi-realistic present-day military shooter Favourite FPS that is, not my favourite shooter, since that crown belongs to Vanquish.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 03-25-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #1777
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Wipeout HD Fury

Fury expansion improved the already good Wipeout HD a lot. The new modes are great fun with their variety i hardly would have expected in any racing game.
I liked Zone-mode best in the original game, which was basically time trial challenges with intense colors. Here Zone Battle was added. Similar, but with opponents also want to reach the speed goal.
Eliminator, ~deathmatch, was a bit too much luck by getting random items since the quake wave is the most powerful one and getting it at least once makes winning much easier than with all other items.
Detonator was the most surprise for me because it turned the game into a shoot em up. While racing you had to shoot mines and try to survive the increasing speed.
Generally unfunny is imho the last speed class; Phantom. I already hated it in the original but although Fury was easier Phantom class was imo again almost impossible to play. Reacting to any curve correctly demands super reflexes i apparently don't have so it was a flipper experience where i totter from one wall to the other... crap. While hard was ok most of the time, with Phantom i had to switch to easy mode and still had problems. The track design has to be much more like in F-Zero GX to allow such speeds.

Overall it's a must-have for any PS3 owner who likes all sorts of racing games or specifically Extreme-G, F-Zero or the previous Wipeouts.
Definitely worth the price.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #1778
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Mass Effect 2 -

finished the Arrival DLC and then realized I'd never activated the recovered Geth, Legion. D'oh. SO, yes, now I'm done. Quick thoughts: as an episodic tv show feeling sci-fi adventure game, I enjoyed it alot. As an RPG, I felt the final reveal of the enemy doesn't match the buildup the game gives it. As long as you feel the story is going somewhere, the collection of allies is quite bracing. But the fight against the Collectors is just - meh.

Batman: Arkham Asylum -

Loved it. All the gameplay I liked about the old Metal Gear games without the ridiculous story. There seemed to be a unity of purpose among the studio who made it to make a game that was enjoyable to play. Wish more would think that way.

Make the kindof game that you would like to play. Revolutionary.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 AM   #1779
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Braid
Story was about window shopping in (game-)hero mall? A comment on gaming itself? Day dreaming? Don't know if it was told in the best possible way. Felt too much of gibberish before the final chapter with no real now-i-got-it twist or a constant Lynch-movie-abstruseness.
Puzzles were kind of cleverly designed but it often felt like i just happen to solve something without knowing how the puzzle actually works. Not even intuitively, but by accident.
Music was fine but was sort of destroyed by the rewind game mechanism.
Graphics in water color painting style did not match imho to story, gameplay or music.
Perfect disharmony? Intended? I'm confused!
It tried to be something special but i don't enjoyed it as much as the story focused Limbo or the puzzle focused PB Winterbottom.

Last edited by crackajack; 04-04-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #1780
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Medal of Honor
Took me about 5 hours, even though I played on the highest difficulty and had to replay the last mission. Was very easy. AI is non-existent and even on the highest difficulty you're able to soak up quite some damage. There were some weird scripting errors that left me stuck at a couple of invisible walls. My rage-level shot to 11 because of the checkpoint system that saved my progress at the last checkpoint of the last mission just when I died. Thus I had to replay the entire mission

I give it a 4/10
(for comparison: I consider Black Ops a 6/10 and Killzone 3 a 8/10)
Old 04-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #1781
c4nc3rc0wb0y
New Poster

Crysis 2

Beat it a few days before I actually found this site, so I thought I'd leave this here. It was alright when all was said and done, but it did feel like it was trying really hard *not* to be Call of Duty. Unfortunately a lot of the game doesn't do the job well enough, and playing through it I felt like I was in a trance, marching from one set-piece to the next. The ending left a lot to be desired, and for someone who didn't actually play the original Crysis it won't even mean anything as the story could have been totally removed and I probably wouldn't have noticed.
c4nc3rc0wb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #1782
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Anno 1404 -

Im not sure I can say I "beat" or finished this game. Its one of these world strategy games, that go on forever. But I did end up controlling everything. So, im going to call that a win

I liked it. Its a bit odd. Its not really "like" anything else. Its not really a simcity game. Its not really an RTS, nor a Turn based strategy game. Its more of a Railroad Tycoon game, only with no rail roads. Its about creating goods, and shipping them around your empire (by boat).

I love how laid back and easy going the game can be. It is definitely not Starcraft.
joetbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #1783
Kin Korn Karn

Been a while since I have been able to post in my own thread

Completed Fallout: New Vegas. All faction endings, achievements and the sole DLC. Swell game, not as awesome as FO3, but worthy.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #1784
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
Been a while since I have been able to post in my own thread

Completed Fallout: New Vegas. All faction endings, achievements and the sole DLC. Swell game, not as awesome as FO3, but worthy.
I'm assuming at this date the game has probably been extensively patched, was thinking about picking it up!
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #1785
Kin Korn Karn

I don't recall many, if any, patches forced upon me when loading the game. Maybe when I downloaded the DLC. There were some times when I would get a freeze, so it was more annoying to have to load a previous save than anything. Nothing happened to me that broke the game, or made me want to give it up, but I'm sympathetic towards these types of games
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote