About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Movies & Television

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #106
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Last movie impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
It got a fan following because no one had ever seen fully rendered animated CGI on a big screen before, and the story had a naive charm.
Naive yes, but charm? Are you a fan of the first Tron perhaps?

Quote:
That being said, I disagree with you that Tron:Legacy catered to anyone who was a fan of the original film.
I didn't see the appeal of Tron back then and I still don't see it now. However, I was in the cinema with a fan of the old film and he liked Legacy and was happy about it. So I figured he and people like him were the target audience. He would be no part of a teenage focus group by any stretch of imagination

For a pile of shit the soundtrack was really nice. And I like the overall style more than in the cheesy predecessor. But as I said I didn't like the original Tron to begin with, thus I'm not the target audience here...
Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #107
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

eh, I just thought it was really cold and pointless. I'm also not much of a fan of techno groups doing movie soundtracks. A 4 chord lilt is not a theme, no matter how many loops you lay over it. Same thing with Underworld's 'Sunshine' soundtrack... some nice moments, but not one coherent theme you could single out and whistle an hour later. Just masses of bass and chords. Meh.

Have I mentioned I really didnt like this movie in any way shape or form?
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #108
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Inception (Blu ray)

imo - a little too long to be a fun thriller, and a little too heavy on gunplay to be cerebral. Beautiful, yet overwrought.

The whole ending buildup? Time being stretched while it's running out..? Cool idea, but in execution felt like tension suspended till numbness set in. As the last act dragged on and the music kept repeating these staccato bass heavy riffs while Tom Hardy was doing Ice Station Zebra gymnastics I began to not care what was happening.

I think Chris Nolan could've cut about 15 minutes of bullets and running around and had a better film.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #109
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

True Grit, the Coen brothers take on western. It's not on the same level as genre highlights like Unforgiven (which is still my favorite western of all time), but pretty solid. As usual with their movies a lot of things happen that are unusual. The performances are all good and everything looks nice. However, True Grit is missing something that would make it stand out or otherwise special. As it is it's a good western about a grumpy old man and a teenage brat. No more, no less.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #110
RandomRob

Interesting, I think Hollywood is trying to cash in on movies for fathers and sons to watch together. Not a bad idea.

I love Unforgiven.. have you seen it on bluray? The photography is stunning in high def.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #111
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Jurassic Park 3
It's a movie about dinosaurs, damned it, and all they can do is repeating some people running around an island again, make some stupid jokes and at first construct an unbelievable cheap excuse for going on the island at all?

Demolition Man
Gets better every time.

Speed Racer
Not bad at all for what it wants to be, but i don't think anyone above a certain very low age level can be entertained much by this candy colored racing movie. Great film if you like a Wipeout+Trackmania+Ridge Racer effect thunderstorm with comic-like characters.

You Don't Mess with the Zohan
I like Sandlers naive approach to everything. It's satire that doesn't need to offend anyone seriously (only those who are uptight on sexual jokes or fanatics in hate politics) and that's great because you either like it or you simply ignore the silliness.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #112
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
I love Unforgiven.. have you seen it on bluray? The photography is stunning in high def.
Only on DVD so far, but I'm tempted to get the blu ray...

Was watching the big Oscar-winner King's Speech last weekend. It's a good movie.

What? Expected more? Me too, actually. It's a competent movie with acting between solid and terrific (Colin Firth deserved his Oscar for sure) but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It's the good old story about the upper class and the lower class working together despite their differences and to realize they're not that different after all. What a surprise

I would have given the Oscar to Black Swan.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #113
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Der Täter (~The delinquent)
An art burglar getting a heart attack while doing his job ... afterwards, incognito in the hospital, it happens that he hears a telephone conversation of the chief of police.
The burglar seems to have to settle old scores and because the conversation was about his, the chiefs, illegal activities, good and bad switch sides.
Great comedy.

Broken Flowers
Quirky non climax movie. Sometimes slow almost as it wanted to extend runtime for no reason but an interesting piece of pondering about past life and what might change the view to the present.

The Devil Wears Prada
It manages to present the Prada devil as a hard working human with a heart and that's fair when the movie makes a joke on a sort of pointless industry.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
It's no Forrest Gump with plenty of laughs but a similar perfect movie nevertheless.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #114
RandomRob

picked up Crimson Tide on Bluray

Fine looking transfer, great color and deep blacks, even though much of the film sports a very narrow field of focus due to the cramped conditions.

This is a decent film. It suffers from some patriotic, action oriented sentiments, but at it's heart the conflict between the Captain and the XO is fairly believable, and good dramatic fodder. I love the dinner scene-

Last edited by RandomRob; 03-04-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #115
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Yes Man
Better than i expected. A fine Liar Liar "sequel" and a bit more serious.

Berlin 1885, la ruée sur l'Afrique
Africa is divided by western countrys, the map is drawn almost randomly and not a single African is present.
The documentary comments were interesting the play scenes rather odd and telling not much details which could not have been said by much less lines by a narrator.

Shooter
Reminded me often of Jason Bourne, just sniping instead of close combat. But the evil was a little too much on the Bond side, just too much "wanna rule the world", "don't care for anything" super villain.

Rear Window
My mom "warned" me before: no bad movie but also boring/ too long.
I agree with her.
Her opinion was based on having seen it some decades ago and i don't think she has seen any of the many modern faster paced ripoffs.

Thank You for Smoking
Excellent satire.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #116
RandomRob

Thumbs down Re: Last movie impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Rear Window
My mom "warned" me before: no bad movie but also boring/ too long.
I agree with her.
Her opinion was based on having seen it some decades ago and i don't think she has seen any of the many modern faster paced ripoffs.

Last edited by RandomRob; 03-07-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #117
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Drive Angry 3D
Not exactly Shakespeare. The Plot is nonsensical and just an excuse for gunbattles, carnage, titts and explosions. If you look for a grindhouse-style B-movie don't look any further. The 3D doesn't enhance the movie on any level and some of the 3D scenes look outright weird.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #118
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
oh no
oh yes.
I think Hitchcock did a phenomenal job in filming some interesting scripts but the way he did it is not very entertaining for todays standards.
e.g. Disturbia is much better than Rear Window. Real laughs instead of slight giggles and no wondering why telling a murder mystery so slow with useless shots of watching some totally unimportant neighbors (just for a happy end scene...).
And i don't like it how the relationship between Grace and James works. She loves him, has to change, while he actually stays all the same while insisting no one can ever change in the beginning. He is sort of dumb and still get's a great girl and i have no idea why a great girl should be happy with such an ignorant selfish man. Actually totally unimportant to the main story but because the movie focused often long on subplots it's getting worse the longer i think about it.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #119
RandomRob

since when are you supposed to LIKE characters in a Hitchcock movie? They're all self-obsessed and vapid. That's the point.

aw, hell.

It is a favorite old movie of mine. It recalls elements of a New York that had disappeared by the time I was born, yet my mother can still tell me about. People sleeping out on their fire escapes? They really did that in the 50s.. there was NO air conditioning!

I love the sense of life and continuity between all the neighbors in that film.

Its an art movie- its not supposed to be about speed and interesting stuff going on to grab your attention. Its quiet, slow and subtle. Its why I love it.

Last edited by RandomRob; 03-10-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #120
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
since when are you supposed to LIKE characters in a Hitchcock movie
i don't have to like them, but they should be interesting, make some sense or whatever if the story itself is hardly as good as an average Monk or Columbo episode.

Quote:
Its quiet, slow and subtle. Its why I love it.
Broken Flower is also quiet, slow and subtle, and i enjoyed it, there i saw the point of why it was told that way.