About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #1756
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Well this happened a few days ago, but just now getting around to posting: Red Dead Redemption. Wandered around a little bit afterwards, thinking there may be more to accomplish, but just the side missions are left. Really enjoyed the game, though I may be in the minority when I say it should have ended after an earlier event.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #1757
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Flower

And I thought it was brilliant, loved it. I never really got to grips with the control system, which I thought was frustrating. It meant I was creeping from flower to flower, rather as I would imagine it was meant to be, swooping over and back and activating the sound effects like running your hands up a piano scale. I don't think they meant me to creep.

But great game. Thoughtful, good looking and powerful.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #1758
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Limbo
The first half was ingenious. The hostile world killing me on every possible occasion although after the fantastic spider scene i was so fearful and slowly advancing- which killed me of course too- it was like the game was sadistically forcing me to act wrong.
Then it got more gamey, one puzzle after the other in this mechanic industrial world, and i started to look up solutions of the last parts as soon i was first stuck with a gravity puzzle because i hate puzzles in games where puzzling is not the core of the game for me. I like puzzle games (see above) but as with adventure games i hate it when puzzles stop me from advancing in games were the story or in this case the non-story is the core for me.
Visual presentation was awesome. While the game peaked very early with the spider the style was great until the end. Loved especially the moment when almost the entire screen was dark and the feeling of really walking in a dark area arised, though everything necessary to see was visible (Doom3 did that terribly wrong). And also the final move, how it was directed... the minimalistic sound, touched me emotionally somehow. Fantastic!
This game had the most creepy atmosphere since Psychonauts' room with the burning kindergarten and thus definitely more horror than RE4 or Dead Space for me. While DS at least had brilliant sound, other games tend to think horror is gore and zombies. Gore and zombies are most of the times either disgusting or stupid comedy for me, that's the opposite of horrifying.

Listened to the Limbo podcast and wonder what this shit about the sister i also did not get should add to the game?
The meaning of the title alone, Limbo (obviously i don't mean the dance), together with the feeling within the game of experiencing a nightmare or hell was a perfectly working story which can be filled with the players imagination.

Sure, i can make up a story that i was playing the afterlife of a man (actually no boy at all anymore) who has lost his girlfriend (or sister, or his child) in the jungle in africa 1900 and after that has engaged himself in work in the city as an caretaker of a hotel (Lady in the Water...), but his mind always coming back to this woman. Which makes sense, i guess, but the final part in the end feels nevertheless tacked on, because it was too much game, changing the color of the start yarn.

It could have been one of my favorite games ever, if there would not have been the latter puzzle segments.
Nevertheless recommend it to everyone.

Last edited by crackajack; 01-31-2011 at 07:21 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #1759
Librarian
New Poster

I beat Deadly Premonition last friday and it made me glad I bought an Xbox 360.
That game is still haunting me, I put Dead Space 2 into the box right after finishing DP and played through Dead Space 2 till sunday, but I still kept thinking about Deadly Premonition.
The accoustic guitar track with the guy kinda humming along is stuck in my head since friday, I would love to buy the OST because there were some really good songs in the game, unfortunately they are not selling a soundtrack.

I love how a game with PS2 graphics and a less than ideal combat system managed to make a more lasting impression on me than the first big hit megaseller of the year.
Deadly Premonition is just that good, I have never enjoyed a character in a videogame as much as Francis York Morgan.
Also DP is what made me discover this site and forum, I think the review by Daniel Weissenberger is spot on, I just wish more people would buy this game.
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #1760
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Mass Effect 2 (PS3)-

enjoyed this quite a bit, though the story seemed to abruptly run out of steam about 3/4 of the way in, leaving me with nothing to do but scrounge those last few missions before taking on the predictable action packed climax. Kinda dull, that. What's the point of scanning planets when you have over 80,000 of everything? Also I thought the hammerhead missions were really derivative.
A minigame or two, some randomized missions and a few different items to collect wouldve made this game perfect, imo.

Nier -

pretty much same comment for this game as well. Liked it, story goes tepid leaving you with pointless fetch quests at the end. Storywise, the climax seemed a big omelet of WTF, too. Was expecting a little more reveal on the Black Scrawl, the past, alot of things.
May play through again to get the Kaine story.

Then again, may not!
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #1761
Pedro
64-bit Poster

@crackajack: nice summary, makes me want to get the game even though I hate platformers and can't get on with them.

@Librarian: thought pretty much the same. At times I thought the game went too far - fishing for files? - but loved most of it.

@RandomRob *MILD SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT 2 BELOW*
Felt much the same - I though the whole Illusive Man thing was just terrible and cliched; seriously, why are they even hiring these famous actors to deliver nonsense like this?
And that final boss was just laughable. I think the game was pretty much undermined by those two things, but I haven't seen them talked about much.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #1762
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Killzone 2 - it already inspired me to start another thread about the premise of invading a planet with lack of justification other than "they look like Nazis". I am still undecided about the controls. On one hand I found them too unresponsive at times and was sometimes accidentally knocking out people in melee instead of aiming at them. On the other hand I really like the feel for the momentum of the the character I controlled. It felt like controlling a human, while in most shooters I feel like controlling a floating camera with a gun attached to it.

In terms of graphics and sound it's the most beautiful ugly game I ever played. Yeah I get it, it's Helghast an industrial hellhole, but they could put a nice park there or maybe a shopping mall with architecture more complex than bland concrete blocks with connecting steel bars. Talking about Helghast: I thought the atmosphere is so brutal that the Helghan ended up wearing gas masks. However, the ISA soldiers seem to have no problem breathing normally, while the Helghan still carry their gas masks. Hmmm...

The gas-mask-fetishists are pretty tough enemies in any case (apart from being easy to snipe thanks to the glowing red eyes). Even the standard Helghan are remarkably clever for FPS cannon fodder.

Overall a solid FPS that I enjoyed playing, even though I still think the invasion was a mistake and most of my squadmates were idiots.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #1763
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

100 Rogues a small iOS roguelike with a simple goal: destroy Satan. You have 2 character classes available, there would be a third but you're asked to pay for that one extra (lol?) which I refused to do. Everything is pretty basic and shallow, nothing that would keep me coming back from more now that Satan is dead.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #1764
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Demon's Souls - after just under 50 hours played I finally beat all the demons and got all their souls. It feels like I spent 40 of those hours dying at Manhunter and Flamelurker alone
It's in my opinion the best game of this console generation and I'm tempted to play NG+ instead of just moving on to the next game. The combat is intense and satisfying and exploring the hostile worlds was more fun than in any other game.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #1765
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Alpha Protocol - finished it last night despite all the bugs and glitches because I wanted to know how it ends. It's a shame what happened to this game, since it had quite some potential. Obsidian has this tendency to throw out games that could be great if only they would spend some of their budget on QA. I like how AP allows quite some freedom in terms of who to ally with and who to execute. On the other hand it's pretty restrictive in its level design, forcing you down a corridor most of the time. This game would be awesome if it would have levels that allow multiple approaches like in Hitman. And if the combat system would make any sense. And if the AI wouldn't get mental every 5 minutes, either spotting you with x-ray-vision through walls or not noticing you at all despite you literally bumping into the guards. Was way more fun than Black Ops, even with all the bugs.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #1766
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Dragon Age: Origins finally done. Started it waaaay back when it came out and now I finally found the time (and motivation ) do deal with the archdemon. Played an elven mage that I skilled indecisive. I could do a little bit of everything. Most of the later fights involve me running in circles to prevent being beaten senseless, while my party is doing the damage. What a hero.

Demon dead, Alistair king (made him marry his half-brothers widow just for giggles), Leliana romanced, elves liberated, dwarves reformed, mages independent, Morrigan pregnant, world saved... did I forget anything?

Since I have the ultimate edition I can now start with Awakenings. I'm not sure if I should import my character or better start a new one... is there a lot 'lost' when starting a new character?

p.s.: looking at this thread I have the feeling I'm the only one playing games right now
Old 03-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #1767
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

nah. Just FINISHING them.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:03 AM   #1768
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
p.s.: looking at this thread I have the feeling I'm the only one playing games right now
I have wanted to comment, but I'm travelling with work so I have no access to games for 6 weeks or so. Anyway, no one has responded to my comments here before, so....

Were you playing DA on console or PC?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #1769
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I'm playing Dragon Age on PC, since the PC version is much better than the console port.

My finishing lots of games won't last forever, since the (minor) injury that kept me at home quite a lot is almost gone. Then I will spend more time again outside my flat
Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #1770
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Oops, I did it again...
Finished Dragon Age: Awakening and the add-on Witch Hunt. Together with Lelianas Song that is pretty much everything I wanted to do with Dragon Age before the second one comes out (just in time one might argue). I like about Dragon Age (overall, not only awakening) how my actions and decisions have impact on the game world. However, the transition from Origins to Awakening is a bit sloppy. I did end up importing my useless mage after all and found some spell combinations I didn't think of before. As usual with my Dragon Age mage by accident and with the worst possible timing. I'm getting sidetracked here.

Ok, transition: I played the beginning of Awakening also with a new char, an Orlesian warden and pretty much the only difference I noticed was NPC saying "Oh, you're the new guy", instead of "Oh, you're the hero". For example I found it pretty weak that my approval with Oghren didn't carry over. At the end of Origins we were on really good terms and suddenly we're back at 0? He was the only party member from Origins to show up in Awakening, thus I don't think it would have made a huge difference to just let me still be friends with him? The new party members are not much better or worse than the old ones I suppose. Apart from Alistair and Leliana I didn't like the people from the first game that much. Oghren was just too stereotypical, Wynne likes to hear herself talk and Morrigan? Come on... someone who lives in the woods all that time and still uses more make-up than Dir En Grey?

Awakening and the whole DLC-package has the same problems Origins had in terms of pacing and scripting. Dungeons are quite predictable after a while. The worst being all those little 'ambushes' along the way. I specifically remember one section in Awakening in that Dwarven Ruins where there are no less than 5 'suprise attacks' in a row. They might catch you off guard the first time (not so much if your game goes into pause automatically when a fight starts ). But after the fifth ambush in a row by exactly the same composition of units (just 2 or three more for good measure), I started wondering if they might have run out of ideas half an hour ago.