About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Movies & Television

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #76
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: Last movie impressions

The Fountain (2006)

Absolutely perfect film.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #77
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
(I'm being extra careful with my language because of this "moderating every post" thing...)
Hey, we're not the thought police
And at least for me: if I know the username I approve without reading the text. I'm only here to filter out the spambots after all...
Quote:
Anyway, I rather enjoyed the musical aspect of Repo, even if most of the songs weren't very good. It was quirky. I just didn't like the characters, especially that whino teenage girl in the lead role.
The songs did have some sort of quality that made me actually rewatch some of the songs...

...even though they're pretty bad

However: Repo Men is still a better movie overall.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #78
JLB1987
Sex machine

I shall seek it out then

Re-watched "Freddy Got Fingered" the other day. It truly is a "timeless classic".

3/10
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:44 AM   #79
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
The Fountain
Absolutely perfect film.
Yeah, i liked that a lot, and Pi also.

Arthur et les Minimoys
Luc Besson had hits some years ago, but since Fifth Element he seems to produce and direct only mediocre films.
The visuals of this European Pixar/Dreamworks competitor were fine, but investing 70mio € in this story is ridiculous.

The Rules of Attraction
The film adaption of American Psycho lost much of the impact the book had, haven't read the book of RoA but the movie seem to deliver its point perfectly.
The beginning was incredibly good done. Don't know why this movie is not more known. Might just lack the obvious brutality and gore of American Psycho, so is really just for those who get the story.

Hard Times
Much too slow pacing and implausible character actions. Hardly Bronsons worst movie but dissociate from the girl he loves (?) without a second thought and helping the promoter that wanted to sell him is weird. And the end hurt. Disney style love, peace and harmony...?

Sorstalanság (Fateless)
Expect the end it was a bit pointless.
It shows the story of a 14year old Jew from Budapest in WW2. Fist "only" wearing the yellow star, then having to work instead of going to school and finally his Odyssey through various concentration camps.
The horror of boundless inhumanity was frightening as always, but i could not follow his feelings especially with the end. There should have been more monologues.

Kick it like Sara
Very average teen movie.

Tropic Thunder
Tom Cruise and the disrespectful take on Hollywood and their inhabitants was awesome.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #80
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Luc Besson had hits some years ago, but since Fifth Element he seems to produce and direct only mediocre films.
I nearly choked on my own toungue when I found out Transporter 3 is one of his. And presumably the other two. but 3 is the only one I've seen.

It's hilariously bad. I wouldn't have believed it was from the same guy who did Leon, if it didn't say so on wkipedia.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #81
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Just finished watching The American. Ending was amazing and I'm glad I watched it all the way through. However, the rest of the movie was a little too drab, mostly mundane. Even with the ending, not sure I could recommend it, unless you're a big George Clooney fan. He's so dreamy

Quote:
I wouldn't have believed it was from the same guy who did Leon, if it didn't say so on wkipedia.
This is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. Not sure if it was meant to be. Kudos!
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #82
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I nearly choked on my own toungue when I found out Transporter 3 is one of his. And presumably the other two. but 3 is the only one I've seen.

It's hilariously bad. I wouldn't have believed it was from the same guy who did Leon, if it didn't say so on wkipedia.

Luc Besson's Angel-A was a good film, imo. An experimental low budget drama about redemption. Probably not for everyone- it's a little sentimental... but it definitely recaptured the tone of some of his earlier work (ie- likeable, morally conflicted characters navigating urban & metaphoric trouble).

Last edited by RandomRob; 01-26-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:06 AM   #83
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

The Way Back
A movie based on a book by a Polish sergeant in WW2. He claimed to have broken out from a gulag in Siberia and with some other prisoners walked all the way to India. However, the book was debunked in 2006, which makes this move a purely fictional story, despite the opening suggesting those people actually walked all the way down there.

The movie itself was good, with some (involuntarily?) funny moments but not much of action going on apart from walking, starving and looking for water. I liked it but it's surely no movie for everyone, a couple of people left the cinema early because they probably expected a bit more than just walking.

Quote:
Why does everyone forget the excellent Taken with Liam Neeson playing the most angry man in 2008? The angryness could only be topped by Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #84
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Why does everyone forget the excellent Taken
I haven't seen that, or Angel-A, but his recent average work i have seen was average. Although often only the script, but Taxi Taxi, Transporter, Wasabi, Bandidas, Unleashed are all on a much lower level than Léon or Le Grand Bleu for me.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #85
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
I haven't seen that, or Angel-A, but his recent average work i have seen was average. Although often only the script, but Taxi Taxi, Transporter, Wasabi, Bandidas, Unleashed are all on a much lower level than Léon or Le Grand Bleu for me.
I haven't seen Le Grand Bleu, but - warning, now comes blasphemy - I don't get why Léon is in such high regard with everyone. Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie, but I don't think it deserves the acclaim. In my book Luc Besson always made slick action thrillers or action comedies with lots of style but little substance. Léon doesn't stand out by far there.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #86
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
blasphemy
That's literally the only word I can focus on in that entire paragraph. My brain is literally blocking out all the other words

Last edited by JLB1987; 01-28-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #87
RandomRob

I agree with Li-Ion.

I thought the Fifth Element was a wonderful sendup of Heavy Metal magazine with a really lame last act, and Leon? Great movie ten years ago, but I watched it recently and didn't think it held up, really, at all.

Eh.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #88
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
This is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. Not sure if it was meant to be. Kudos!
It was, indeed, intended to be humerous

That said, I've come to rely on wikipedia a little *too* much for "facts", and I don't think it's let me down yet. Goes to show anarchy can work, if you make it complex enough that lazy people can't be bothered to contribute, ha.

Rob, I've intended on re-watching Leon again anyway, haven't seen it for at least four years. I just hope it doesn't tarnish my memory of the film when I do. I remember the only bit I didn't like in the entire film was when the main bad guy listened to classical music and went all weird, I thought that was unnecessarily silly.

Agree entirely with what you said about The Fifth Element, though.

Last edited by JLB1987; 01-28-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #89
RandomRob

it always bugged me that they foreshadow Darkness standing in the light at the end, you think Zorg is going to make it to the temple for some kindof showdown and he just lamely gets killed by a bomb? Downhill from there.

I dont think Leon is awful, but as I get older the awkwardness of it's themes bugs me more.

Last edited by RandomRob; 01-28-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:20 AM   #90
RandomRob

Just catching up on the Aeon Flux box set.

Such a crucial animated series. They really wrote their own book.