About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Movies & Television

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #31
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Re: Last movie impressions

Opération lune (Kubrick, Nixon and the Man on the Moon)
An OK attempt to show manipulation in media.
Can we really trust documentaries and or the news media? Especially those which clearly have an opinion?

Wall Street
As it wanted to be a thriller it had to show illegal acts in the financial market, but reality showed that this is hardly the biggest threat.
The naiveté of Charlie Sheen's role was a little too stupid, Douglas was great but for me it all was too much simplified.

What Happens in Vegas
It missed some opportunities for some extra fun, especially in the counselor scenes, but overall the characters had more depth than usual for the type of comedy it was.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #32
farfus
pretty cool dude

Red gets two thumbs, fun romp!
farfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #33
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I agree on Red, fun actionmovie with awesome cast, two thumbs up.

Wall Street -Money Never Sleeps: rather disappointing. The ending is especially stupid. Can't tell anything without spoiling, but I was getting out of the cinema and the only thing I thought was: "what the f...?"
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #34
JLB1987
Sex machine

Saw Terminator: Salvation or whatever the last one was called. What a pile of shit. Never been a huge Terminator fan anyway, but the first two had it where it counts, the storyline, and the third one was fun. This one, however, is just predictable nonsense. It made me cringe in places, it was so bad. And all the twists? I was saying to the missus "this is going to happen in a minute...", and every time, without fail, I was correct.

On the plus side, we also watched "Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance", this was my second time seeing it but it had been too long since I'd seen it the first time to remember anything anyway. I still thought it was pretty awesome, love the visual style, but it's no where near as good as Oldboy, which is one of my all time favourites.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #35
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Stardust
I always like Claire Danes, de Niro was once again fabulous in a comedy role but the movie was only fine. Although i have to say beside LotR i don't like zero to none fantasy movies, so fine could be great in normal terms.

Sau Nummer Vier (Pig number 4)
Awesome comedy/crime movie which might only be understood in Bavaria and parts of Austria. The fun works best or only if you know the characteristics of people and the way they talk that live in that area.

Red Heat
Hardly much action and not really many good jokes. Fall of the iron fence diminished the right to rerun almost.

Sister Act
Whoopi seems to have played only weird roles since her best performance in The Color Purple? At least i can't like this female Eddie Murphy much.
The film itself is ok but there are certainly better comedies with similar stories.

Indy 4
As said above, i don't know why it got criticized so much. It's just another adventure movie like all three before!

Marathonman
The beginning is boring, too stretched and when all loose ends come together it doesn't really justify the slow opening.
The torture scene is frightening though. Doesn't show much, but the sound... never had so much pain without being hurt at all.

Lost Highway
Great movie, sound effects and music. Pure delight to watch it and being challenged by the meaning.

Kirikou et la sorcière
Cute animation movie for children about an African baby that rescues his village from a witch just after being born.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #36
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Stardust
I always like Claire Danes, de Niro was once again fabulous in a comedy role but the movie was only fine. Although i have to say beside LotR i don't like zero to none fantasy movies, so fine could be great in normal terms.
I also found this movie entertaining. For a romantic, light hearted fairy tale romp- it hit all the right notes.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #37
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Mozart and the Whale
I don't know how accurate it is in showing Asperger and i think it doesn't matter that much because it works well as a romance with people who have some issues getting together, like all "normal" people have too.

In 3 Tagen bist du tot 2 (3 days till you're dead)
The final twist was good and the Austrian alps hut scenery and language worked fine but that the woman gets caught not only once and still just goes "apathetic" into danger was almost funny.

It sometimes wants to be like Hollywood garbage, also looking at the title and the first one was a clear ripoff, but it has some own identity the genre could need more often.

30 Days of Night
The vampires behaved sometimes laughable and the whole victim introduction beginning and afterwards the genre usual 1 by 1 decimation process was lame as always, the sheriff's actions were quite plausible though (except the sacrificial end fight nonsense at the end) and the always night setting was interesting too.

Iron Man
Fine popcorn movie. Much better than the Hulk reboot crap but it lacked any real depth. Could be much better.

I Know Who Killed Me
It could have been an actually good movie if a better crew would have done it. Maybe Lynch style... But i don't think it's as bad as imdb score suggests.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #38
JLB1987
Sex machine

Despicable Me 3D

My first 3D film, saw it at the cinema last night, and it was much better than I thought it wouldn be. Minimal toilet humour, and it had some genuinely funny moments. Can't say there was a single thing I didn't enjoy about it, despite it all being slightly predictable. Gets a bit sickly towards the end, but even the three little girls who are the focus of the film along with super-villain Gru arn't entirely unlikeable. Don't really see the fuss over 3D, but it was a nice addition. I'm just glad they didn't rely on the 3D aspect and made a genuinely enjoyable film. I'd give it an 8/10.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #39
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I got A Clockwork Orange on bluray the other night. Alot of soft focus was used, so it doesn't get a big jump in clarity, but the contrasts and colors get a nice boost, as does the soundtrack. I'd recommend.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #40
crackajack
32-bit Poster

La Haine (The Hate)
Based on real events in the 90s this was repeated on the same place some years after. A never ending story as long integration on both sides is refused.

Bucket List
I didn't like the "action" parts, they didn't really correspond to at least Freeman's character, but the rest was very fine. Took death serious while keeping a humorous tone.

Le scaphandre et le papillon (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly)
Incredible movie based on a real life story of a man "locked" in his body after a stroke, only able to blink with his left eye, and dictating a book in this way.
About family, friendship, fantasy, memory, gallows humor... depressing and at the same time saying yes to life in (almost) every second.

Takva (A Man's Fear of God)
A simple, believing man employed by a religious group. His thinking of how their belief should be executed and the guidance of his sheik how the group and his job works, has to work, are very different and so he feels lost increasingly.
After seeing it i was rather disappointed, but the more i think of it it was done very well. I am not really very religious so my problem was acknowledging the problems of the main character, only in retrospect i got it. Imo the movie forgot at the beginning to tell how strong the belief of the man actually is.

Next
Some dialogs are so bad it's really funny. The actual idea was interesting, but the execution pretty terrible.

Carrie
Cinematography was good, but characters and some scenes so ridiculous overdone that the suspense thing transformed to a joke. A cartoon version of a drama/thriller?

Ocean's 13
I don't like the first two ones but this was nice.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #41
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Constantine
I liked the style of the movie and generally like religious themes.
Instant win. Didn't love it though.

Mogari no mori
death, letting go, feeling alive, grief
Very boring. No real story?

RKO 281
A biopic about the Citizen Kane movie. I found the actual Citizen Kane, the best American movie of all time, overrated, but this was interesting.

Great Balls of Fire
Reminded me somehow of Amadeus, which is a good thing.

Felon
The basic idea promised much, but it didn't work for me. Falling Down was good, Death Sentence had a main character which was implausible self destructive, and this one was overacted with stereotypes all over.
"World falls apart"-movies seems to be hard.
Kilmer as the sort of friendly psychopath was fascinating nevertheless.

The sum of all fears
Together with Red October the most thrilling Clancy movie. The hooray patriotism is as always in Clancys works disturbing propaganda but ignoring that it's very entertaining.

Get Smart
Maybe too long, but it had some good jokes.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #42
RandomRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
RKO 281
A biopic about the Citizen Kane movie. I found the actual Citizen Kane, the best American movie of all time, overrated, but this was interesting.
I agree CK is kindof a bloated mess. Focuses too narrowly on the bad relationship with the drunk mistress- and in doing so, amounts to a really cheap shot at Hearst, instead of being thoughtful, it just seems like arty bile.

But it still seamlessly utilized more technique than anyone had ever done, so it's a watermark for style, if not storytelling.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #43
farfus
pretty cool dude

Cant recommend Unstoppable enough, a true "edge of your seater" that you wont even slightly stray from being enthralled!

Last edited by farfus; 11-17-2010 at 05:41 PM.
farfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #44
JLB1987
Sex machine

Jackass 3D

Peer-pressured into seeing it, I actually rather enjoyed this film despite not being a fan of the TV series. Although that could have been down to the 250ml of Jagermeister I snuck into the cinema to mix into my coke. D'oh!
Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #45
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Watched "The Other Guys" the other night. Pretty much meh... Jokes are dragged out to the point everything becomes a chore. This is a movie that gets better the moment the Rock is on the screen, something you can't say that often...

It simply feels like someone had an idea that sounded funny on paper, but when it came to shooting the movie they found out they missed half the script and improvised rather ham-handed.