About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Community User Submissions

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy
Please rate this review: Shatter

A summer blockbuster in more ways than one

High It was a feast for the eyes and ears all the way to the end.

Low When it's over, it's really over.

WTF The "storyline" piqued my curiosity more than it probably should have.

I'm feeling a little deja vu here. Like in my second opinion for Bionic Commando, I'm finding myself once again in general agreement with Brad in his evaluations. Shatter really is an inspired resurrection of Breakout's oft-defiled and regularly beaten corpse. Also like in my second opinion for Bionic Commando, I'm going to part ways with Brad over my impression that the developer--in this case, Sidhe Interactive--just didn't do enough.

Don't get me wrong, Shatter is a fun game. I sat down and completed the game from start to finish and at no point did I feel like I was struggling against boredom. On the contrary, as I blew through it's final sequences I found myself wondering what else the game had in store for me. Therein lies the rub. Upon being dumped back to the title screen I was dismayed to see that the only noteworthy addition to the game was a boss rush, which hardly had me chomping at the bit.

Perhaps it's my fault for bringing my preconceived notions to the table when playing Shatter, but I always expect these types of arcade games to have some kind of endless or challenge mode to give the player some added value beyond the main game. I was shocked to find that Shatter had neither of these. The game's mechanics, with its weighted, magnetic, vaccuming and multiplying blocks, practically beg for some kind of insidiously designed extra levels.

I'm not saying that just because any game has potential for a robust challenge mode that developer's are required to include one, but Shatter in particular underutilizes these mechanics so much that it feels like a necessity. Despite the unique characteristics of the various block types, it was very easy to just smash my way to success with little consideration for their properties. Shatter is very player-friendly, and the result is that once it was over I felt like I had just finished an extended tutorial for a game that hasn't even been made.

I don't regret the time I spent with the game and Sidhe has definitely demonstrated some serious chops here, but that doesn't stop Shatter from being a Michael Bay movie in game form. Flashy, fun, forgettable, and over in a couple of hours. 6.5 out of 10

Disclosures: This game was obtained via paid download and reviewed on the PS3. Approximately two hours of play were devoted to the single player mode, and the game was completed one time.

Parents: There's nothing to worry about here. The mild fantasy violence attributed to the game by the ESRB is largely the product of someone's very over-active imagination.

Deaf & Hard of Hearing: Totally accessible. There are no necessary auditory cues or un-subtitled cutscenes to be found here.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Re: Please rate this review: Shatter

Works for me. Green light.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Richard Naik
Lt. Cmdr. PopAndFresh

Green from me as well. Boy, how many submissions have you had greenlit? I imagine you're getting close to 5.
Richard Naik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Valkyria Chronicles, Drakengard 2, and Bionic Commando have all went to the front page, and I guess Fat Princess and Shatter are on their way, so that makes five.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:45 AM   #5
Jason Karney
Pixel King

Keeping count, eh?
Jason Karney is offline   Reply With Quote