About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Community User Submissions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy
Please rate this review: Bionic Commando

This review was hard as balls to write.

Just sayin'.

He's not angry, just misunderstood.

High Hanging motionless for a split second a hundred feet in the air above a boss before crashing down on it bionic fist first.

Low Fumbling ineptly with certain biomech enemies for a large amount of time before discovering their weakness.

WTF When replaying certain sections, the in-game chatter is sometimes replaced with more profane versions of the same sentence.

Bionic Commando is a name that carries a lot of weight in gaming culture. Asking about the NES game among a group of gamers is effectively equal to asking them to present their hardcore gaming IDs. Nearly all reviews for the current-gen sequel to the game pay lip service to the legacy of the original, and Brad's is no exception. This left me feeling like the one person in all of gamedom who actively hates that accursed game. Unburdened by the shackles of nostalgia, I purchased the PS3 version of Bionic Commando, knowing that it was my duty to deliver untinted clarity to a mixed critical climate. Ironically, after reaching the end of the game I struggled for a week trying to think of something to say about it that Brad hadn't already said, and better.

Brad's review of Bionic Commando is definitely in line with my own experience. More than once while playing, the idea of late 80's game designers being teleported to the present day and then introduced to modern gaming tech almost felt like a plausible explanation for how this game came into being. The game frequently feels more true to those roots than any number of current-gen reboots of old franchises, which seem content merely capitalize on nostalgia, while using the term "old-school" as an excuse for uninspired cut-and-pasted game design. BC actively interprets old-school design philosophies and presents it in a way that feels modern. Rather than using nostalgia as a crutch, it attempts to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the rest of the high-def crowd, and largely succeeds.

Engaging in acrobatic antics throughout the beautifully rendered locales of Ascension City is just as enjoyable on a third playthrough as it was on the first, if not moreso. I found my approach to the same situations would evolve over the course of my time with the game, as I became increasingly comfortable with BC's central mechanic, the bionic arm.

Grappling hooks have been featured in games time and time again, and it's a testament to GRIN's development chops that they didn't allow the arm--fundamentally a grappling hook by another name--to be a throwaway gimmick. There aren't a ton of techniques available through the arm, but each one has its own practical applications, whether zip kicking from target to target or therapeutically flinging soldiers over the horizon. The fact that it is an arm, and NOT just a tool of some kind is actually a great unintentional metaphor for just how organic of an experience BC is.

This organic feel extends beyond just the basic mechanics of the game. Nathan Spencer himself is one of the most alive characters I've seen in some time. Despite being presented as your typical apocalyptic third-person actioner, Bionic Commando has a surprising spirit of playfulness. If Sonic the Hedgehog were transformed into a soldier/convict with dreadlocks and a bionic left arm, I imagine he'd act almost exactly like Nathan. The protagonist howls with excitement when plunging through the air and tosses jibes and insults at enemy soldiers as if he were Miss Local Municipality in a street parade throwing candy to children. Nathan Spencer has as much fun being in Bionic Commando as I do playing it.

With so much going for it, the critical and consumer reception of the game has been a real shame. As Brad has touched on, there was a disconnect between what gamers were expecting, and what BC had on offer. But, I'm not content dismissing this phenomenon as gamers being collectively unable to "get" the game. On the contrary, it seems that at least some of the blame for this situation lies at the feet of the developers.

The one weak point of BC is the gunplay. These guns feel like little more than distractions. They aren't particularly useful or fun to mess around with (with the notable exception of a heat seeking rocket launcher that you receive two or three times during the entire game) and all of them come with very little ammo that isn't easy to replenish. Given how robust of a mechanic the bionic arm is, it feels suspiciously like GRIN included a gunplay element because all of the other third-person kids were doing it.

If gunplay was presented less frequently it would be easy to ignore these shortcomings, but Bionic Commando has tons of guns in it. Guns literally rain down from the sky every few minutes. It seems like anytime the higher ups notice Nathan is about to take on a threat more dangerous than a blind, one-legged dog, they're immediately dropping guns all over the place. With a seemingly endless hailstorm of guns, it's easy to imagine why a lot of gamers came to the conclusion that the game is about shooting people. Unfortunately, anyone who tries to play it in that mindset will almost assuredly have a mediocre experience.

Aside from potentially giving the wrong impression, the guns are also a symptom of a wider issue with BC. It seems like the developers lacked confidence in their own design. The game is short, roughly six hours if you play straight through. The three boss battles, while fun, were also fairly easy and felt like the developers were testing the waters but were afraid to actually go for any real depth. Between this and the unnecessary emphasis on guns, Nathan Spencer starts to seem less like the second coming of Sonic, and more like a nervous wallflower at the prom: dressed like the cool kids while clearly not part of their clique, and slinking to the door at the first opportunity to minimize his embarrassment.

It's probably a good sign that my biggest complaint about Bionic Commando is that I didn't get enough of it's central mechanic. I guess that's why I'm still playing it. Whether or not GRIN recognized the quality of what they've created, I certainly have. I can only hope that when and if Nathan swings back on to the scene, he can do it with a bit more swagger. 8.5

Parents should keep the kids away from this one. The game is rated Mature for Blood and Gore, Strong Language, and Violence. The blood isn't really all that bad, but the violence and the language are here in spades.

Deaf and Hard of Hearing gamers shouldn't have many issues with this one at all. Nearly all conversations are subtitled, the exceptions being idle chatter between enemy units. Also there are no significant auditory cues.

Disclosures Bionic Commando was obtained via retail purchase and played on the PS3. It was completed twice, with approximately 20 hours devoted to the single player game. No time was spent on the multiplayer.

Last edited by Boy; 08-23-2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Touchin' up! EDIT 2: New opening paragraph
Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Re: Please rate this review: Bionic Commando

Nice work, that review kicked ass. direct, personal, and far from the typical laundry list... loved it.

Only feedback: the paragraphs about the guns near the end lose their flow.. feels a mite choppy. tighten those up and it's green light from me.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
Jason Karney
Pixel King

Looking good! I would cut the first paragraph into a sentence, it's a little too cute for its own good.

You got the site format down, nice job. I like the fact that you specifically mention no auditory cues, our D&HoH games will appreciate that.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 18 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

Boy, you've been a great voice on the boards for a long time. This review is a great example why. I'm just adding a "me too!" to the chorus of tightening up a bit as it wraps at the end. Otherwise, it's a great Second Op.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
coyls3
32-bit Poster

the only thing that I didn't like about the review is in paragraphs 1 and 6 you reference the opinions of other people. in paragraph 1 you mention brads review and in paragraph 6 you mention other consumers. even though the way you did it was elegant, every time I read a review where the writer references the opinion of others, I can't help but wonder how much influence those opinions had on the review. Even if they had no effect on your opinion what so ever, the reference to them still plants that seed of doubt in my mind.

The first half of paragraph 10 kinda stuck out like a sore thumb. It read like something that belongs in a laundry list style review and didn't mesh well with the rest of the review, which was beautifully written.

other than that the review is really good, but i'm not the one you have to impress.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyls3 View Post
the only thing that I didn't like about the review is in paragraphs 1 and 6 you reference the opinions of other people. in paragraph 1 you mention brads review and in paragraph 6 you mention other consumers. even though the way you did it was elegant, every time I read a review where the writer references the opinion of others, I can't help but wonder how much influence those opinions had on the review. Even if they had no effect on your opinion what so ever, the reference to them still plants that seed of doubt in my mind.

The first half of paragraph 10 kinda stuck out like a sore thumb. It read like something that belongs in a laundry list style review and didn't mesh well with the rest of the review, which was beautifully written.

other than that the review is really good, but i'm not the one you have to impress.
Hey Coyls,

What Boy wrote is called a Second Opinion review. It's something that reflects on the initial review and either disagrees with or expands on the initial review. That's why he makes references to Brad's review.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Boy

Alright, I've rearranged and (hopefully) tightened up all the gun jabberin'.

Jason, if you have any suggestions on how to shrink down the first paragraph while maintaining the general message, I'd be happy to hear them. I'd agree that it's a bit cute, but whenever I tried to reword it the result were varying levels of cardboard dry.

Coyls, I appreciate the feedback, but like David said, the critical and consumer reception was a significant part of Brad's review, and his review was an important part of mine, so I included both.

Had I written my review as though Brad's never existed, it probably would have came off as redundant, given that I like it about as much as he did, and for basically the same reasons.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

I'm down. green light from me. You've really got the hang of this, man. nice!

Now do another.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Jason Karney
Pixel King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy View Post
Jason, if you have any suggestions on how to shrink down the first paragraph while maintaining the general message, I'd be happy to hear them. I'd agree that it's a bit cute, but whenever I tried to reword it the result were varying levels of cardboard dry.
You could entirely cut the first paragraph; or save one sentence from it to start the next paragraph which becomes the first:

I found Bionic Commando to be a highly enjoyable play, and Brad's review of Bionic Commando is definitely in line with my own experience. ...
Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
Boy

Ok, I think I finally have something.

I initially went with your suggestion Jason, but upon re-reading the review it felt very bizarre to me that my own feelings on the original game never came up, especially since I feel so strongly about it. I think this opening is much better than the original.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #11
coyls3
32-bit Poster

I would remove the "All kidding aside" from the beginning of the second paragraph since you don't seem to be kidding anymore.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Jason Karney
Pixel King

Boy -- I agree, that is a super intro, much better. And I agree with coyls3 that you don't need the "All kidding aside".

This review is otherwise good to go.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
Boy

Done and done.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....