About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 12:39 AM   #1471
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

finished Lock's Quest on DS.

it's about twice as long as it should be, but the mechanics work pretty well and it still felt like a pretty high-quality experience overall. the story really wasn't that bad, either... if the developers had removed about fifty levels, it would be one tight little doozy of a game.

still, recommended.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #1472
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 14 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

The other night, I finished Lost Odyssey on the X360. Logged right about 70 hours, and enjoyed every minuted of it! Well, every minute except the ones I wasted trying to kill that stupid 'ring master' and his dog - such an infuriatingly difficult battle, and I have nothing to show for it... except for my failure and shame! Anyway, the storyline was good - albeit a little hokey at times *understatement* - but what really kept me going was how much fun it was doing all the little side stuff sprinkled throughout the game! That, and the fact that the visuals and audio were polished to a point of inspiring awe on occasion! On the whole, I'd recommend this game to anyone looking to return to their turn-based RPG roots for a well paced, true to form throwback to the JRPG's of yesteryear!

All praise aside, I absolutely despised the character they billed as the lead villian. Not because he was so evil or anything... but because he just looked so incredibly stupid! Like he belonged on Monday Night RAW or something - not in a future/fantasy roleplaying game! *sigh* And the hair that was hanging down in Kaim's face throughout the game. What is that?!

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #1473
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Juicebox View Post
The other night, I finished Lost Odyssey on the X360. Logged right about 70 hours, and enjoyed every minuted of it! Well, every minute except the ones I wasted trying to kill that stupid 'ring master' and his dog - such an infuriatingly difficult battle, and I have nothing to show for it... except for my failure and shame! Anyway, the storyline was good - albeit a little hokey at times *understatement* - but what really kept me going was how much fun it was doing all the little side stuff sprinkled throughout the game! That, and the fact that the visuals and audio were polished to a point of inspiring awe on occasion! On the whole, I'd recommend this game to anyone looking to return to their turn-based RPG roots for a well paced, true to form throwback to the JRPG's of yesteryear!
Sounds good. I know Lost Odyssey received a lot of flak from a lot of people, and our resident poster Boy disliked it as well, but I'm willing to give it a try to see if Mystwalker is better at developing RPGs for X360 than Square-Enix (The Last Remnant, anyone?). Chances are I won't finish it, but maybe it'll have enough narrative fats to keep me engrossed for a long time.

Speaking of turn-based RPG roots for a well paced, true to form throwback to the JRPG's of yesterday, try Persona 3 (if you still haven't) and the much, much improved Persona 4. I think I've only a few hours to go before I finish P4, but right now I can already say that it's the best RPG of the year, and it even belongs in my top 10 list. The story is so good too that even if the cutscenes can last for hours, you'll have a hard time prying your controller loose.

As for something on-topic, I just finished Call of Duty 4 yesterday. I liked it; I thought some of the levels have great designs. I did eventually grow tired of it, though, but the game just about ended then. The story is surprisingly poignant for this kind of game, which is why it still baffles me why there's an arcade mode that treats soldiers like cannon fodder when the game itself keeps hammering home the point that war is ugly (complete with game over screens of quotes from historical figures) and assigning points to different kinds of shots an-

... well, I won't get into that.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #1474
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Gee, how many years has it been since I last had a valid double-post on this thread?

Beat Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 on normal mode, unluckily with plenty of social links not maxed out.

Out of all the Personas I've fused, I found Shiva with Repel Physical skills the most useful, at least against the last few encounters. Another advice that I can give is to have all supporting characters learn every skills, and Chie in particular does not become very useful until you can Power Charge her and pull off God's Hand. Naoto can use the same tactics with Mind Charge and Megidolaon, but her defense is weak.

I'm going to replay this game on New Game+. Easily the best game I've played this year.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:13 AM   #1475
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

What? WHAT?!?! You finished before me?!?!?

Gaaaaaaaahhhhhh......

Damn the holidays getting in the way of my playtime!!

edit:

After posting this I went back to the game and found out i was literally only a short walk away from the last boss and polished it off. if i had known i was so close, i would have stayed up later last night and been first to post it!

This match goes to Shun.

Last edited by Brad Gallaway; 12-26-2008 at 03:36 AM.
Brad Gallaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #1476
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Finished Fallout 3 last night. Very underwhelming.

I started Fable 2 after and the game kept on locking up on me. It may need a patch or something and I can't hook my Xbox up to the internet right now.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #1477
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Yeah, Fallout 3's main questline blows. the good stuff is all in exploring the world and doing the sidequests.

BTW, i had the same problem with Fable 2. try an install to HD, that's the only way i could get it to run.

(and Fable 2 sucked, BTW.)

As for me, i finished Persona 4 a few days ago (with the True Ending this time) and that was just a fantastic game overall.

Also finished Space Invaders Get Even on WiiWare, but the "game" i DL'd was barely a 15 minute demo that cost me $5. evidently all of the real content is on separate "mission packs" for $5 each, but i'm not going to reward such an abuse of DLC and the Wii's no-demo system with any more money.

F it.

Last edited by Brad Gallaway; 12-31-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Brad Gallaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #1478
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
BTW, i had the same problem with Fable 2. try an install to HD, that's the only way i could get it to run.

(and Fable 2 sucked, BTW.)
Thanks, I'll try that.

I am not expecting a GotY out of Fable 2 (G4 did). As long as it is a fun romp, like the first one, I'll be happy.

Last edited by abfackeln; 12-31-2008 at 01:17 PM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #1479
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

My brother just beat both Gear of War 1 and 2 on Normal Mode these past two days.

Anyway, I bring that up because he keeps saying that although 2 had better monster designs and better story, the first was a better game if only because it was less linear and more challenging. The 2nd game had a lot of exciting setpieces, as he said, but they were all incredibly easy.

So, was it just him, or did GoW2's lack of difficulty weaken the game overall?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:37 AM   #1480
Hargrada
8-Bit Poster

I recently beat Fallout 3, which was loads of fun and had me addicted in the same way I was with Morrowind/Oblivion. The combat (VATS) worked great and I loved constantly finding new things to see and do in the wasteland (which felt huge).

It's a shame the storyline was only a retread of the things i've seen before in the previous Fallout games (super mutants, enclave, the brotherhood). I know Bethesda had a whole fanbase to please, but they should have at least tried to do some things a little differently. The whole thing feels like fan fiction (which it technically is) instead of a continuation of the original universe.
Hargrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:31 AM   #1481
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

So I just finished my second play through of Persona 4 today. That gives me a total of 160 hours spent for that game. This time around I managed to see the true ending, maxed out social links with all characters (which turned out harder than I expected, despite having maxed out all stats), and even defeated The Reaper once to earn the ultimate weapon of the protagonist.

Great game! I wholeheartedly recommend it even to those who have just a passing interest in JRPG.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #1482
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Beat LEGO Indiana Jones earlier tonight. Overall, good stuff. Thinking of posting a review, so that's all I'll say for now.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #1483
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

i also finished Lego Indiana Jones, playing 2P with my son. the game was meh, but we had good times.

also finished Penny Arcade episode 2 on XBLA... it was definitely a better game than Ep 1, but still not something i'd recommend to everybody.

finally got *every* achievement and finished Wik & the Fable of Souls (XBLA) 100%... that took quite a bit of time and persistence, but i'm glad i did it....

right now, i have five stars on every level except #22 for CarneyVale Showtime (360 Community games) and it's the next big hurdle to check off my list.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 AM   #1484
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Just finished Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ on DS, and also The Maw on XBLA.

Both were really good, though in different ways. BBQ was a pretty insane, quasi-hardcore shooter that actually sort of rocks the DS. it needs a little work, but it's got charm in spades. the only really stupid thing about it? it's one of those throwbacks where you get to the end of the game and it says 'try again on HARD for the real ending!"

honestly, it was hard enough the first time (the bosses, anyway) and if i had known that was going to happen, i would have started on hard in the first place. don't have the time or desire to play it again, but it's still recommended.

The Maw was a great little game and a lot of fun.. great production, great art, and totally playable. it's pretty short (3-4 hrs) but it's solid all the way through.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #1485
Vince

Send a message via MSN to Vince Send a message via Yahoo to Vince

I have finished Gears of War 2, now working through the game on Insane. What's frustrating is that its a hard mode that is made harder thanks to some buggy controls and cheap shots from the game (tickers spawning in the middle of the road, usually right under your feet). Overall I'm getting my $70 out of it. 6550 towards the achivement of 100,000 kills.