About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 02-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #16
jdingo
32-bit Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to jdingo
Re: Red Ring of Death hits me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
I'd guess that means you didn't get a board with the Falcon chipset.

I'd keep your hard drive, sell the console, and go get an arcade unit. You'll at least have a more reliable 360.
I'm waiting for the "Jasper" chipset, due later this year: the 65nm GPU will generate less heat and will consume less power, which is a factor for those of us who have to pay our own electricity bills.

Running cooler, it will require a smaller fan and that, in turn, will make the unit quieter.

I am hoping the new chipset is accompanied by a quieter DVD ROM drive.

If I bought a machine with the Falcon chipset today, I'd regret it as soon as the Jasper machines hit store shelves.

I can wait.

- jdingo
Old 05-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #17
jdingo
32-bit Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to jdingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdingo View Post
By the way, my 360 RRODed weeks ago. I called XBox support on January 26. The coffin arrived on February 5. I packed my 360 and sent it to Microsoft the following day: February 6. It arrived in Texas on February 14. It's now February 24 and there is no sign of a repair or replacement.

So it's basically been a month since the call to Microsoft. And I'm still waiting.

It's a good thing I have a second 360.

- jdingo

So I got my replacement on February 26, so I once again had two working 360s: my "second" 360, and this new "replacement" 360.

My "second" 360 RRODed last week. Coffin arrived two days ago and I shipped it to Microsoft yesterday: May 15.

Today it's May 16 and the "replacement" 360 died. It is displaying "System Error: Contact XBox Customer Support. E74". I have removed the hard drive, changed the AV cables, cycled the power, everything. I still get the same E74 message.

So now my two store-bought 360s have RRODed, and the refurbished, "replacement" 360 has died within a week of use.

Despite owning two 360s at any one time, they are all now dead.

Jasper can't come soon enough.

And - Microsoft - you owe me an apology.

My PS3 has never failed.

EDIT: Called XBox Customer Support and got a reference number for my E74 repair job. And of course I was given a reference number when I called early last week to report my RRODed 360.

The difference between last week's reference number and this week's reference number is 733,673.

Is it possible that XBox Customer Support has had to issue that many reference numbers to customers in that amount of time? That would seem to speak to the extent of their problems.

- jdingo

Last edited by jdingo; 05-16-2008 at 09:48 AM.
jdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #18
Dale Weir
Site God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdingo View Post
So now my two store-bought 360s have RRODed, and the refurbished, "replacement" 360 has died within a week of use.

Despite owning two 360s at any one time, they are all now dead.
Damn dude. That's the sole reason why I haven't purchased an Xbox 360. The fact that I know of many people with 360 problems and can read so many horror stories from 360 owners, makes me want to put off a purchase until the holiday season rolls around or delay it until next year.

dale
Dale Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:55 PM   #19
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 18 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

The saddest thing is that, if it weren't for the hardware reliability issues, the 360 would be one of the finest consoles ever made. I'm curious how the Xbox 720 (or whatever they'll call it) will be marketed. One thing's for sure: they'd better make DAMN sure that it works 100% out of the gate.

Say what you will about the first year, my 60 gig PS3 still purrs.
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #20
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PS3 a lot quieter than the 360 too?

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:11 AM   #21
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Yeah, the PS3 is a ton quieter when running, and even quieter than that when it's off. which is most of the time. ; )

seriously though, this RROD crap really reminds me of the woes the original PS had with the laser spring thing overheating and pulling the lens out of focus, or whatever it was. i think i bought three PS units total to keep the game going at my house, and the first one i owned was constantly turned upside-down while running to get more life out of it.

funny thing is, despite the mechanical failures of both the 360 and original PS, they are each (IMO, anyway) the best consoles of their respective generations. odd that they'd both be so plagued with difficulties.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #22
idiotic
128-bit Poster

I wonder why some people are more lucky than others with their 360's.

Famous last words: so far, I've been one of the lucky ones and am not sure why.

Anyone know what kind of correlation there is between 360 units and red rings of death?
idiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:52 AM   #23
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotic View Post

Anyone know what kind of correlation there is between 360 units and red rings of death?
The RROD is caused by the board warping underneath the video processor, and the solder joints breaking loose. Microsoft's remedy for this, was adding a heat-sink above the VPU, to alleviate the heat, and having the fan turn on as soon as you powered up the 360.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:16 AM   #24
idiotic
128-bit Poster

Thanks gamevet - is there some reason why some units are more susceptible than others? I mean , what (fails to) cause the board to warp underneath - despite the epidemic, the breakdowns just seem so arbitrary and random.

If an internal problem is so endemic, why have many people managed to emerge unscathed whilst others (like poor dingohasgotmybaby) have experienced two breakdowns simultaneously?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:30 AM   #25
LordFarid
Lord of the Videogames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post

seriously though, this RROD crap really reminds me of the woes the original PS had with the laser spring thing overheating and pulling the lens out of focus, or whatever it was. i think i bought three PS units total to keep the game going at my house, and the first one i owned was constantly turned upside-down while running to get more life out of it.
I can remember this (never head it myself though) but as far as I remember this only occured (or mostly occured) with Playstation that where chipped to play bootleg games/imports.

Anyhow, the PS problems dont come near the Xbox360 problems because almost no one talked about it while everyone talks about the three rings of death and I even had a friend who had it occured to.

At least my PC is still working perfectly. Now there is a gamesystem you can trust.
LordFarid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #26
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotic View Post

If an internal problem is so endemic, why have many people managed to emerge unscathed whilst others (like poor dingohasgotmybaby) have experienced two breakdowns simultaneously?
The problem with those repaired 360s, is that you're not getting back the same console you'd sent in. You pretty much get the next available 360 they had off of the repair line.

MS' method of repair is basically resolding the VPU back onto the warped board, adding washers to the X-Clamp below it and boxing it back up.

I have the 360 Elite, that includes the raised heat-sink, and the fan turns on as soon as you power it up. It appears to be running cooler than my PS3, so hopefully I'll never encounter the RROD.

I highly recommend you leave at least a foot of air-space above your 360 and 4 inches of space on the sides. I've heard that the power supply shouldn't be allowed to lay on carpet either.

Last edited by gamevet; 05-17-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #27
YouDigress
16-bit Poster

The only gripe I have with my 360 is that it runs loud as hell. I have to turn up the volume on my TV just to hear what characters are saying and I even went so far as to put subtitles on GTA IV when I was playing it because the CD drive ran so loud.

The scariest thing is when you start it up, get a red ring, and freak out only to realize that you hadn't plugged in one of the wires correctly.
YouDigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #28
idiotic
128-bit Poster

Quote:
The problem with those repaired 360s, is that you're not getting back the same console you'd sent in. You pretty much get the next available 360 they had off of the repair line.

MS' method of repair is basically resolding the VPU back onto the warped board, adding washers to the X-Clamp below it and boxing it back up.

I have the 360 Elite, that includes the raised heat-sink, and the fan turns on as soon as you power it up. It appears to be running cooler than my PS3, so hopefully I'll never encounter the RROD.

I highly recommend you leave at least a foot of air-space above your 360 and 4 inches of space on the sides. I've heard that the power supply shouldn't be allowed to lay on carpet either.
Thanks for taking the time clarify things gamevet - much appreciated.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #29
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouDigress View Post
The only gripe I have with my 360 is that it runs loud as hell. I have to turn up the volume on my TV just to hear what characters are saying and I even went so far as to put subtitles on GTA IV when I was playing it because the CD drive ran so loud.
I turned on the subtitles, because I can't understand one word of what Jacob is saying.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #30
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
I turned on the subtitles, because I can't understand one word of what Jacob is saying.
That's funny. Being "of the islands," I grew up around rastas, so Jacob is talking perfect English to me. ^_^ And it sounds awesome si?

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote