About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 03-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #1171
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Jack> DS or Wii? Either way, my hat's off to you... seeing the DS version still bugs me as "one that got away". = /

to continue the thread...

finished Trapt on PS2 a few days ago and loved it.... good times, good times.

finished MGS: Portable Ops before that and working on the review now... sorta cool, sorta meh.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #1172
JackSlack
Proud Supporter of Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
Jack> DS or Wii? Either way, my hat's off to you... seeing the DS version still bugs me as "one that got away". = /
DS version. I really know what you mean about that last operation -- The spider thing can really kill your patient at will, more or less. There's a lot of luck involved. The only other thing I can suggest is to ignore the little spider things while the web is active, but once it's down, laser those bastards with extreme prejudice as swiftly as possible.

I'm trying to do the X missions now... holy crap. I mean, these things make the last mission in the story mode look like a walk in the park. No joke. I'm generally tanking about 1min, 8 seconds into the first level.
JackSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #1173
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

I beat Gears of War on Insane mode last night. It really wasn't that much harder. The most difficult areas for sure were when you were in enclosed spaces with those glowing wretches. They explode when they die, and the explosion always kills you instantly in Insane mode.

Oh yeah, and General RAAM. He was pretty easy in the first two difficulty levels. But then I didn't realize how fucking cheap it is for him to command screaming bats that can tear you apart whenever you're not in a light source. It took me a few tries. It takes a lot of careful aiming with the torque bow and magnum pistol. You gotta land every shot otherwise he always ends up on your side, and there's not much you can do at that point (running to the other side won't help since practically a single bullet from his troika gun will tear you apart).

I also beat NSMB, one of the most unfulfilling videogame experiences I've had in recent memory.

And yes folks, I finally pretty much beat all of Oblivion. I'm guildmaster of everything, practically all the random quests are done (except for stuff like the nirnroot collection), I have all the headquarters (including the downloads) and I'm also the divine crusader. All at level 22 too (I had maxed out my blade, blunt, armorer, heavy armor, light armor and speed).

I guess now I can replay the game? As a vampire? Plus a lot of the achivements I earned for the game was with another profile.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #1174
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Quote:
I guess now I can replay the game? As a vampire?
Being a Vampire sucks ass, I played most of my current game as one (did the dark brotherhood quests first). But being a vampire is a right hassle once you get down to just exploring, you want to explore, but you have to go get food at least once every three nights if you want people to talk to you, or every night if you want to be able to move in the daytime, but as you can only catch people sleeping at night, and by the time you've traveled somewhere that you can find food...its day again. Like a catch 22, its only good if you're doing the theives guild and DB missions.

Yes there is a point to this post, I just beat the main quest of oblivion. And honestly

*Spoiler*
Going to every city to ask for help only to have to go close an Oblivion gate(barring Kvatch obviously) was the most tedious think i have ever done. Fair each gate is different, but I started it when i was level 20, so everything I fought on the way up was either a Storm atronach, a Spider Daedra, Or a high level Dremora with a Claymore, not particularly fun. In the end I wound up just constantly casting Invisibility and legging it up the towers.

*end spoilers/Rant*
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #1175
Mike Bracken
Next-Gen Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Park View Post
Oh yeah, and General RAAM. He was pretty easy in the first two difficulty levels.
Yeah, I was sort of dreading having to fight him on Hardcore, but then I walked in and pretty much owned him (it did take a few tries).

I'm done with Gears offline though--I don't have the patience for Insane.

Mike B.

My game collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/sadeian
Mike Bracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #1176
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelleda View Post
Being a Vampire sucks ass, I played most of my current game as one (did the dark brotherhood quests first). But being a vampire is a right hassle once you get down to just exploring, you want to explore, but you have to go get food at least once every three nights if you want people to talk to you, or every night if you want to be able to move in the daytime, but as you can only catch people sleeping at night, and by the time you've traveled somewhere that you can find food...its day again. Like a catch 22, its only good if you're doing the theives guild and DB missions.

Yes there is a point to this post, I just beat the main quest of oblivion. And honestly

*Spoiler*
Going to every city to ask for help only to have to go close an Oblivion gate(barring Kvatch obviously) was the most tedious think i have ever done. Fair each gate is different, but I started it when i was level 20, so everything I fought on the way up was either a Storm atronach, a Spider Daedra, Or a high level Dremora with a Claymore, not particularly fun. In the end I wound up just constantly casting Invisibility and legging it up the towers.

*end spoilers/Rant*
Yeah it doesn't sound very fun but I guess it's a challenge. Plus the Vile Lair download has a guy you can feed on at any and all times.

However because of teh patch, I don't have the gold cheat to be a rich mofo at the beginning of the game. I'd have to delete the patches, which I don't feel like doing right now.

Those gates were really annoying. Oblivion works best when you're interacting and role playing, not dungeon crawling. That's why the Dark Brotherhood quests were the best: Because it was about manipulation and deceit, not just straight up head bashing.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #1177
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelleda View Post
I actually really dig being a vampire. It's easy enough to manage as long as you fast travel instead of waiting, which I think helps me get more done anyway.

Quote:
The Oblivion gates can be tedious, but I enjoy the combat. Are you playing PC or XBox? Because on the PC, you can get Fransesco's mod, which adds a bunch of new creatures and changes the distribution and leveling of the creatures as well as adding a bunch of new weapons. So you never really know just what you'll encounter, and the fights get really hard even at high levels because you can encounter six or eight enemies at once. I suppose if I weren't using that mod, the dungeon crawling wouldn't be as fun.

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 AM   #1178
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Quote:
you can get Fransesco's mod
Aye i have it, but i don't have it on for this game, I downloaded it but then decided to finish my current game first.

Quote:
That's why the Dark Brotherhood quests were the best: Because it was about manipulation and deceit, not just straight up head bashing.
I actually think that my favourite quest of the entire game was the DB mission with the five people in the house, there were so many different ways to go about it.
Quote:
Plus the Vile Lair download has a guy you can feed on at any and all times.
I knew there was something else on that damned disk I hadnt done (Barring the knights of the nine missions)
Done the Wizards Tower, DoneThe theives Den, Done the orrery, done Mehrunes' Razor. PErhaps I should have remembered the Vile lair, my time as a Vampire may have been more fun,
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #1179
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 14 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox

I know I'm a little late, but I finally finished FFXII tonight. Easily the longest game I've ever actually seen through to completion, and you know what's funny? After over 100 hours, I still don't think I was really ready to finish (this coming from the guy whose perfect length for a game ranges from 6 to 9 hours)!

Excellent entry to the series. The story was a bit weak - and broken up a bit much at times by my own random exploring - but the gameplay was easily my favorite out of all the past FF games. Bravo! I'll eventually go back and visit some of the areas I skipped over, but not for awhile. No, for now I think I'll just take pride in knowing that I got through such a beast of a game!

So... what do I play next?

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:24 AM   #1180
Doug Troy
Surly McDouchebag

I just beat God Of War 2 (on Normal difficulty). I will say no more except that I have a big goofy grin on my face and a predisposition to preorder God Of War 3 as soon as it becomes available.
"I actually talked to an Iraqi cabdriver last year in Salt Lake City about the war. He said it was like the US came and weeded his garden, but pulled out most of the vegetables in the process. Needless to say, he had mixed feelings. So I stiffed him on the tip. USA! USA! USA!"
Doug Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #1181
Reharl

The Prince of Persia trilogy boxset had been sitting on my shelf for a while now, so I decided to see it through to completion. I skipped Sands of time given that I had replayed it recently (every bit as marvelous as the first time around) I jumped straight into Warrior Within and Two Thrones.

Warrior Within is as everyone says: okay, but some of the design decisions were terrible. Not five minutes had passed since the beginning of the game and my Prince, full of rage and teenage angst, was yelling "You bitch" towards a scantily black-metal clad vixen with gravity defying breasts. Then came the insipid nu-metal, then came the constant senseless gloom and so on and so forth. The Price lost his royal voice and acccent, only to be replaced with an average gruff american tone that aimed for the generic wolverine style. Combat was expanded, but combat should never be the focus of Prince of Persia, so even that felt deeply superflous. Thankfully, most of the plattforming escaped unscathed and was quite enjoyable. I say almost, since someone had the bright idea of sometimes mixing those sections with enemy combat at the same time, which invariably led to some initial frustration. The fact that female ninjas kept trying to throw me off platfforms while suggestively moaning "Pain is so close to pleasure" did not improve the overall experience either.

I was glad when it ended, but even so, the game had its moments.

Now, Two Thrones. Now that's more like it! Had it not been for the novelty having worn out, this game could have been every bit as good as Sands of Time. The dark prince is no more (well, not the angst version, as this game manages to find a much more intelligent and delightful way of conveying the more aggressive emotions inside the Prince through means of an internal monologue) and we're back to lush environments and surprisingly good music. Much welcome is the return of Farah, but a different princess she is now, a more prepared fighter, one that is not so dependent on the Prince when disaster doesn't come knocking on her doorstep so ruthlessly. The dialogue between the two is humourous and flirting, except this time around you have a third observer with sly remarks and witty comebacks. I couldn't help but grin when they first met and the Prince calls her her name. Stunned, she aims an arrow and asks how he knows her name. Oh yeah, it never happened, realises our Prince has he makes up an excuse of how he heard tales of a lovely maharajah's daughter of the East and inevitably fumbles.

More than that, Two Thrones offers you a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy and features a memorable set of climatic final battles, ones that actually work and involve compelling plattforming. Sand of Times, overall, is still the most contained game, the one with the cleverest and sweetest script. Two Thrones however, comes off as an astoundingly close second and I wouldn't hesitate on calling it one of the better games of last generation. What an amazing ride it was.

Now.... finally, I can play some Chulip...

Last edited by Reharl; 03-20-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #1182
ASS-asn
the meaning of life below

Send a message via MSN to ASS-asn

beat DMC3 on normal
busy doing hard now :P
love this game
ASS-asn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:12 AM   #1183
JackSlack
Proud Supporter of Pants

Shadow of the Colossus has fallen.

Sigh. So, so close. This game nearly was even better than Ico -- Almost as passionate and emotive as its forerunner, and far more focused and pointed. The game became a rumination on violence in videogames, the alleged 'hero' clearly nothing more than a brutal murdered as the game went on. Numerous clever small game decisions reaffirmed the notion as it continued, and it all looked good.

Then the ending. ARGH.

Without saying anything more, the ending destroyed the point of the game to me.

So, so close. SO close!

But Ico remains the pinacle of videogame art for now.
JackSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:26 AM   #1184
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Quote:
Then the ending. ARGH.
That was my initial reaction as well. I hated the SotC ending... until someone better explained it to me (I believe it was Gene, if you wanna pester him for a breakdown). Still, it could've been SO much better!

Having said that, I beat Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin last night with about 950% completion (I'm guessing 1000 is max?). It was a fun game, but the ending was your typical CV cop-out. I could still go back in and finish the Nest of Evil and the last few quests I unlocked, but... I think I'm done for awhile.

- EJ

Old 03-26-2007, 07:31 AM   #1185
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

OH! And I nearly forgot to metion that I finished Rayman Raving Rabbids on Friday! It was a fun diversion, but there just wasn't enough variety for my taste. Too many times, I had to play the same minigame... only harder (and some of them, trust me, were hard enough the first time around)! Still, it's a great game for getting accustomed to the Wii-mote. A good one to pick up if you're a newly-wii'd like me!

- EJ