About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #1141
sleepy
GTACKMA

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Beat Ico. I'd started this game a few times before but had always gotten bored or annoyed and quit. This time I just decided to stick it out cos I knew the game would be short.

I didn't love it but I am glad I finished it.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #1142
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Repeated, and beat Phoenix Wright 1 and 2 again. That overall makes me beat the 1st game thrice and the 2nd game twice. I just can't get enough!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #1143
Eggplant Wizard
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 Eggplant Wizard is an unknown quantity at this point

Just totally 100%'d Jak and Daxter in a little over 20 hours. Fun game, but boy, talk about kind of a letdown ending for going through all that trouble. Also the handful of times that I was missing one stupid precursor orb on a level.
Eggplant Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #1144
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

yeah, the 100% ending is hardly worth the effort... i did it too, and i remember what a letdown it was.

finished Summon Night 2 on GBA and Gears of War on the same day this past weekend.

SN2 was very good, but not as good as the first...

GoW had great graphics, but i wasn't very impressed otherwise outside of its immediate playability and the co-op function. more comments attached to my blog post, if anyone cares.

currently working on Enchanted Arms (360) and Phoenix Wright 2 (DS) and both are a great time so far.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:22 PM   #1145
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
GoW had great graphics, but i wasn't very impressed otherwise outside of its immediate playability and the co-op function. more comments attached to my blog post, if anyone cares.
Have you played it online/multiplayer?

If not, I don't think you can really appreciate why so many people called it GotY. GoW's single player is good, but the multiplayer is what makes it so memorable.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #1146
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Yeah, it's funny because I actually didn't play GoW solo at any time… I'm usually Mr. Hermit Gamer, but in this particular case I played the entire campaign with my brother over Live, and I spent an afternoon playing multiplayer with random people.

(Am I just crazy, or is there no way to actually connect with a specific person? I tried to get in a multi-match with my Bro, but I couldn't see any way to make sure the two of us connected up…)

Anyway, deathmatch-type stuff has never been my cup of tea. I just don't find it very entertaining, and it never keeps my interest for more than a short while. When I hooked up with a few people who knew what they were doing, it got a little better because we were able to start doing some squad/team tactics, but in general it didn't really engage me any more than I’d expect.

I'm not trying to knock anybody’s preference here, I just prefer to have more of a solid goal and endpoint when playing, so killing dudes over and over doesn't really do a lot for me. Besides the multi, I thought the main campaign was technically solid, but intellectually laughable… it's a beautiful, playable game, but it doesn't have the juice to really impress me, I guess. ^_^
Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #1147
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gallaway View Post
Besides the multi, I thought the main campaign was technically solid, but intellectually laughable… it's a beautiful, playable game, but it doesn't have the juice to really impress me, I guess. ^_^
Fair enough. But I can count the number of games that have "intellectually impressed" me on one hand (and believe me, I've played a lot of games in my lifetime). I don't really consider that a criterion for enjoying a video game.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #1148
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

I might as well post here.

I beat Splinter Cell Double Agent for the Xbox 360. It's a horrible perversion of the series as a whole, and by and large the worst Splinter Cell to date. The light meter, which used to have varying degrees of detection, is now only "yellow" and "green," which means hidden.

The shadows are all gone, which turned the entire game into a marathon of running from barrier to barrier, struggling with the camera because Sam Fisher takes up damn near half the entire screen, and I'm playing in widescreen mode!

The camera has always been one of the highest points of the series - easy to tame, yet gives just enough leeway for some stylistic frames. But this was just horrid.

There were some moments, all scripted, that had some wow factor in them. But the plot itself was horrid. The overall double agent thing is dull, and lacking in any kind of real tension. Plus the way Ubisoft Shanghai told the story is shit! Ubisoft Montreal developed the last generation games, which told a much more coherent story with the cutscenes available. But with this game, the characters aren't even wearing the same thing in the cutscenes as they are in the game!!!

It's almost as if Ubisoft Shanghai just took the previous generation cutscenes, and pasted it onto their game, without even considering the fact that Sam Fisher is wearing a full body suit with mask in the level, and no mask and sleeveless in the cutscene.

I know the only reason why they've enlisted Ubisoft Shanghai is to keep the assembly line of this popular franchise running. But the hardcore set will pick up on this and realize that the only Splinter Cell games worth getting are from Montreal, the series' place of origin.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #1149
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Just beat Planescape: Torment.

Brilliant story, without a doubt the best-written game I've ever played. I just wish it were a little more challenging, and perhaps a bit less talky. And I don't think I've done this much disc swapping since the Commodore Amiga days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_peace
I know the only reason why they've enlisted Ubisoft Shanghai is to keep the assembly line of this popular franchise running. But the hardcore set will pick up on this and realize that the only Splinter Cell games worth getting are from Montreal, the series' place of origin.
Actually, Ubisoft Shanghai handled the single player for Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory IIRC. Montreal takes care of the multiplayer end.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #1150
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeveboy View Post
Actually, Ubisoft Shanghai handled the single player for Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory IIRC. Montreal takes care of the multiplayer end.
Wrong. Shanghai DID handle Pandora Tomorrow, correct, but Chaos Theory was developed by Montreal. Firstly, because it says so in the game. Secondly, the plot is a natural extension of the first game's plot. Thirdly, the game made some substantial jumps to the first game's gameplay, envisioned originally by the Montreal team. Fourthly, a bunch of French sounding fuckers are interviewed in the making of documentary within the game, not a bunch of Chinese fuckers.

Oh, and I didn't like Pandora Tomorrow that much either. I only thought it was marginally better than the first SC. They just built on top of the first game.

Don't forget, Shanghai is the same developer who built the lower-end Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter games, which are abysmal compared to the Montreal-developed 360 version.

*sings* "Zer's no Canada like French Canada, it's ze best Canada in ze land!"

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter

Last edited by Gene Park; 01-26-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #1151
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_peace View Post
Wrong. Shanghai DID handle Pandora Tomorrow, correct, but Chaos Theory was developed by Montreal. Firstly, because it says so in the game. Secondly, the plot is a natural extension of the first game's plot. Thirdly, the game made some substantial jumps to the first game's gameplay, envisioned originally by the Montreal team. Fourthly, a bunch of French sounding fuckers are interviewed in the making of documentary within the game, not a bunch of Chinese fuckers.
I honestly don't remember the exact division of labor on CT, so you may be right on that. However, I don't think the teams work quite as independently as you're envisioning. Ubi Montreal definitely worked on the enhanced Unreal engine used in single player CT but I could have sworn Ubi Shanghai was involved in putting together the single player campaign in some capacity. All I'm saying is I don't think you can't lay all the blame for the problems at Shanghai's feet.

Quote:
Oh, and I didn't like Pandora Tomorrow that much either. I only thought it was marginally better than the first SC. They just built on top of the first game.
I agree. I actually prefer the single player campaign in the original SC (even though the multiplayer package in PT makes it the best SC overall, imo). The sniper scope is just way too abuseable in PT; I'm glad they took it out for CT. And I don't like how they replaced Lambert's original voice actor with Dennis Haysbert!

Quote:
*sings* "Zer's no Canada like French Canada, it's ze best Canada in ze land!"
Follow the only road!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #1152
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
I honestly don't remember the exact division of labor on CT, so you may be right on that. However, I don't think the teams work quite as independently as you're envisioning. Ubi Montreal definitely worked on the enhanced Unreal engine used in single player CT but I could have sworn Ubi Shanghai was involved in putting together the single player campaign in some capacity. All I'm saying is I don't think you can't lay all the blame for the problems at Shanghai's feet.
Just FYI

http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/...-Interview/p1/

The head honcho at Montreal specifically states that Shanghai developed Pandora so they can concentrate solely on Chaos Theory.

It appears we DO have Shanghai to thank for the most innovative multiplayer deathmatch game since deathmatch was created, if I'm not mistaken. So they're not total failures, unless I'm mistaken. They just need to stay away from single player campaigns.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Old 01-26-2007, 02:17 PM   #1153
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_peace View Post
Just FYI

http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/...-Interview/p1/

The head honcho at Montreal specifically states that Shanghai developed Pandora so they can concentrate solely on Chaos Theory.
Oh yeah, I remember reading that.

Quote:
It appears we DO have Shanghai to thank for the most innovative multiplayer deathmatch game since deathmatch was created, if I'm not mistaken. So they're not total failures, unless I'm mistaken. They just need to stay away from single player campaigns.
Ubi Montreal still designed and developed PT multiplayer, though.

(reads the article) ...or maybe it was Annecy...

All I know is that Shanghai was never responsible for PT multiplayer at any point.

Last edited by sleeveboy; 01-26-2007 at 02:20 PM.
sleeveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #1154
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Oh yeah, I remember reading that.

Ubi Montreal still designed and developed PT multiplayer, though.

(reads the article) ...or maybe it was Annecy...

All I know is that Shanghai was never responsible for PT multiplayer at any point.
Well that clinches it then. lol I guess we can lay all the blame at Shanghai's feet.

Trust me. Double Agent for the 360 sucks hard. I don't know where all these 8s and 8.5s came from. The game's closer to a 6, or even 5. But Double Agent for the old gen systems is just about as good as Chaos Theory, with a co-op mode that's three times (!) as long as Chaos Theory's.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Old 02-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #1155
Reharl

Keeping it rolling...

I've finished Phantasmagoria for the PC this weekend. For those who haven't heard of it, it's a silly 1995 FMV game by Sierra, distributed in several CDs and that marketed itself as a mature and adult effort from the company. As you could expect, it has more in the way of free gore and silly violence than a true serious story to tell but I feel the game is not without its merits.

I found the use of FMV a tad more tasteful than some of these type of games, in the sense that it rarely feels constrictive of your actions. Naturally, as an adventure-type game, Phantasmagoria has you walking around the mansion, examining items, picking up objects and solving sequential puzzles, which is why the dialogue and action sequences in FMV never feel like they are taking away a great deal of your control. It also helps that every single person in the game is a real actor, shot against a blue screen. At the time, this was probably the only way of making life-like and seamless animations, and I have to admit that even in its small resolution, the figures retain a natural fluidity that only benefits the game. None of the acting is worth writing home about, but it's definitelty passable and the cast is spearheaded by a strong female lead.

When it ends, the game feels like a mess though. It's insanely easy for any adventure gamer, very short and has nothing to offer other than gratuitous violence in its last hours of play. I felt this was a great shame after some truly interesting scenes during the initial chapters. There is a moment in Phantasmagoria when you realize the person you're living with, the young man who was so close and loving of you, is nothing but a question mark. Suddenly, all feelings of familiarity and intimacy fade away, and we're left with a true Shining-type horror at what may happen. Unlike Shining, however, the change is abrupt. One day you wake up and he is different, aggressive, frightening. The sense of alienation, particularly after an effective first-chapter where you are introduced to your new home, town and central characters, is the most interesting aspect the game has to offer. The dreams you were sharing, the hopes you were expecting to partake, all gone. There is also an undeniably uncomfortable feeling of guilt in each step you take, due to the fact that your character is forced to do something at the end of the first chapter that unwillingly triggers your significant other's change of behaviour. You're wary of how it's going to end, you don't want to hurt him, he's not really to blame. Yet at the same time, the events unfold into a clear resolution, one you don't want to witness or take part in.

Given this particular achievement, it's too bad the game can't carry it until the end, instead reverting into a senseless gore fest and cliché showcase. Beneath all the layers of cheese and outdated presentation, Phantasmagoria has a universal fear to convey, and it does glitter in some points.

On a sidenote, I'll try the Gabriel Knight series next (the second one uses the exact same FMV technic and is quite loved by its fans). I just need to finish Twilight Princess first, which is, I hate to admit, turning into more of a chore.
Reharl is offline   Reply With Quote