About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Industry News

Notices

Old 06-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
Dale Weir
Site God

New Feature Posted: E3 2004 Report: Part 4 - Booth Babe Dialogues

"Joy tells me she works several trade shows a month. We have to pause our conversation frequently as men approach to have their pictures taken with her. For each one she pulls out her sword and flourishes the blade while striking a pose. I ask if she's comfortable with so many guys posing with her. "It's weird when they put their arms around me," she replies, "but then I feel them shaking and I'm like, whatever, if it's so important to you . . . it's funny when guys come up to me and tell me that it's their first time touching a girl.""

You can read the rest here: http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/r...bes/page01.php
Dale Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:05 PM   #2
Nicato
Next-Gen Poster

Re: New Feature Posted: E3 2004 Report: Part 4 - Booth Babes Dialogues

Perhaps the greatest article on this website, ever.

As much as gc.com claims to offer a new perspective, rarely are any innovations exercised. It didn't help that the annual Booth Babes feature continued to undermine any creditability that was earned with the unique sckew on tried ideas. Here is different.

Finally, a shocking (while at the same time, unsurprising) look into the psyche of these poor girls...and who 'really' attends these trade shows.

The most refreshing E3 article I've read this year. Great job, Erin Bell.

Last edited by Nicato; 07-01-2004 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Changed "sckewed" to "sckew." You don't like it?, sckew you.
Nicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 27 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

That was definitely the most entertaining article on the E3 coverage. Way to go, Erin!
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
LemmyCaution
タルタル

Rep Power: 13 LemmyCaution is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to LemmyCaution Send a message via MSN to LemmyCaution Send a message via Yahoo to LemmyCaution

I have to chime in and agree. Wonderful article. More like this, and I'll cough up more money, even though I'm now living the impecunious life of a graduate student.

I wonder if there's room for a kind of game criticism that's a blend of review and ethnography?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:21 AM   #5
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

I, too, must join the bandwagon and say, "Excellent job, Erin!"

Your piece reminded me of the time an old grrlfriend and I went to our friend's bachelor party at a strip club. I was very young, and I'd never been to a flesh parlor before. To be frank, I was mostly bored by it all, and the first time I went to the bathroom that night, I found out that it doubled as the stripper's changing room! Well, I started conversations with these women about all manner of things from what they thought about their job to how dancing before men impacted their inner being. All in all, it was quite the eye-opening experience. I was so intrigued by the things these women shared, that I lost track of time and my grrlfriend ended up coming to see where I'd gone off to.

Again, a beautiful piece!
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 01:35 AM   #6
Song Jiang
Nicaraguense

Sheer excellence. This type of insightful, high quality, yet light-hearted writing is exactly what led me to financially support this site. I hope that many people post links to this article on other game sites; I'm sure that those gamers who can appreciate this article would make great new additions to the Gamecritics membership!

The phenomena of mass E3 "booth-babe" coverage was just waiting to be journalistically investigated, and I'm glad that this site, one of the only bastions of mature discussion of gaming on the web, has done its job!

Keep up the good work -
Old 12-26-2004, 12:01 AM   #7
Scorpion
New Poster

Wink Re: New Feature Posted: E3 2004 Report: Part 4 - Booth Babe Dialogues

Good Article. But, missing a couple of key points... Most gamers are averaging 16 years old male, slightly over weight, rarely get out and rarely "date". Or better yet, older versions of these guys... So, since you are a girl, Erin, these Booth Babes feel comfortable in talking with you about these details. ie. They can relate to you better.

I am a prettly cool guy(I think...), and I was there at E3 and spoke with a couple of these hot booth babes and of course all they are thinking is that I am trying to "pick them up" for after the normal working hours of the convention day.

Anyways, back to my original thought. I did find out that there is one company (who supply a lot of these booth babes -- eCastingCall.com --) that all they use are "real Gamer Booth Babes" I think that is totall awesome!! I spoke with one girl and she not only knows the game and she gave me comparisons between game graphics, details and even tricks in various games. In my opinion, these exhibitors should look to people like them to hire more 'experienced' gamer babes who not only look good but also know what the heck they are talking about. The combination of a well spoken gamer babe and their hot(well trimmed) physique had me sold. So, thumbs up to you guys at eCastingCall.com! Nice pictures of your 'spokemodels' hehe...

I asked her to come play the demo disc in my hotel room and she turned me down... oh well....
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote