About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 02-24-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Red Ring of Death hits me

I just got RROD'ed. I'm fucking pissed. My roommate's been leaving the Xbox on all night watching movies, and now this happens.

OK guys, what do I do now and how do I deal with this? (besides kicking the living shit out of my roommie)

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Re: Red Ring of Death hits me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Park View Post
I just got RROD'ed. I'm fucking pissed. My roommate's been leaving the Xbox on all night watching movies, and now this happens.

OK guys, what do I do now and how do I deal with this? (besides kicking the living shit out of my roommie)
call xbox support and have it ready and packed to be mailed to them with the consignment details they provide.
videochilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
jdingo
32-bit Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to jdingo

Quote:

It's really not your roommate's fault that the 360 is such a fragile piece of kit.

By the way, my 360 RRODed weeks ago. I called XBox support on January 26. The coffin arrived on February 5. I packed my 360 and sent it to Microsoft the following day: February 6. It arrived in Texas on February 14. It's now February 24 and there is no sign of a repair or replacement.

So it's basically been a month since the call to Microsoft. And I'm still waiting.

It's a good thing I have a second 360.

- jdingo
Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
jdingo
32-bit Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to jdingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdingo View Post
By the way, my 360 RRODed weeks ago. I called XBox support on January 26. The coffin arrived on February 5. I packed my 360 and sent it to Microsoft the following day: February 6. It arrived in Texas on February 14. It's now February 24 and there is no sign of a repair or replacement.

So it's basically been a month since the call to Microsoft. And I'm still waiting.

It's a good thing I have a second 360.

- jdingo

So I got my replacement on February 26, so I once again had two working 360s: my "second" 360, and this new "replacement" 360.

My "second" 360 RRODed last week. Coffin arrived two days ago and I shipped it to Microsoft yesterday: May 15.

Today it's May 16 and the "replacement" 360 died. It is displaying "System Error: Contact XBox Customer Support. E74". I have removed the hard drive, changed the AV cables, cycled the power, everything. I still get the same E74 message.

So now my two store-bought 360s have RRODed, and the refurbished, "replacement" 360 has died within a week of use.

Despite owning two 360s at any one time, they are all now dead.

Jasper can't come soon enough.

And - Microsoft - you owe me an apology.

My PS3 has never failed.

EDIT: Called XBox Customer Support and got a reference number for my E74 repair job. And of course I was given a reference number when I called early last week to report my RRODed 360.

The difference between last week's reference number and this week's reference number is 733,673.

Is it possible that XBox Customer Support has had to issue that many reference numbers to customers in that amount of time? That would seem to speak to the extent of their problems.

- jdingo

Last edited by jdingo; 05-16-2008 at 10:48 AM.
jdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
Dale Weir
Site God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdingo View Post
So now my two store-bought 360s have RRODed, and the refurbished, "replacement" 360 has died within a week of use.

Despite owning two 360s at any one time, they are all now dead.
Damn dude. That's the sole reason why I haven't purchased an Xbox 360. The fact that I know of many people with 360 problems and can read so many horror stories from 360 owners, makes me want to put off a purchase until the holiday season rolls around or delay it until next year.

dale
Dale Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 18 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

The saddest thing is that, if it weren't for the hardware reliability issues, the 360 would be one of the finest consoles ever made. I'm curious how the Xbox 720 (or whatever they'll call it) will be marketed. One thing's for sure: they'd better make DAMN sure that it works 100% out of the gate.

Say what you will about the first year, my 60 gig PS3 still purrs.
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:42 AM   #7
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the PS3 a lot quieter than the 360 too?

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Why the hell do you have two 360s?

I know it may not be my roommate's fault. But I had no freezing problems and disc read errors before he moved in, and now this happens just three weeks after he's been living with me and watching his stupid Cheech and Chong movies and leaving it on while he falls asleep?

I'm pretty sure this could've been delayed at the very least.

Whatever. I'm sorry to post yet another RROD thread, but like everywhere else on the 'Net, my grief was so great I needed an immediate output. And I just wanted to let Chi and Brad and you know that you're not the only ones.

I guess I'll be spending plenty of time with the Wii for the next month or so...

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
angelus223
16-bit Poster

This is exactly why I will never own an Xbox 360.
angelus223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:03 PM   #10
gamevet

That sucks!

There is an autoshutoff setting in the menu section, though it takes 6 hours before it shuts down. They should update that to what the user wants.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #11
Song Jiang
Nicaraguense

Dude, that sucks. I love my 360 - even though I don't have that many games for it, I've absolutely loved every single game I've purchased for the system. In terms of high quality gaming, it's definitely given me more hours of pure enjoyment and satisfaction than the Wii.

My RROD experience, though, has seriously negated a great deal of the goodwill I felt towards Microsoft after all that excellent gaming. As I am living overseas on a State Department assignment, I have to use the APO system, which really complicated my efforts to get my 360 fixed.

Long story short - over 12 phone calls trying to convince Microsoft to use the APO system, having them get the shipping address wrong 4 consecutive times, and over 6 months without my 360.

To add insult to injury, Bioshock arrived in the mail the exact same day the system RROD'd, so I "enjoyed" a good six months of studying the beautiful package art....

Despite all that good gaming, if I get another RROD, I'm definitely going Son-Wii for this generation - especially now that I can count on the machine as a next-gen video player (BluRay).

Damn it, Microsoft, even when you get it so right you can get it so fucking wrong. It's like being stuck in an impossibly abusive relationship with an incredibly hot chick...
Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #12
calintz
sneaker freaker

is this only happening to 360's made before November 2007?

i haven't had problems with mine (yet... fingers crossed) but the back says it was made in Nov last year, and I turn the console off every night...
doesn't seem to heat up at all...

just one question tho:
have you all got warranty on the 360?
if mine does RRoDs, would I need warranty paid for to be able to call Microsoft and ask for repairs?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 AM   #13
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz View Post
is this only happening to 360's made before November 2007?

i haven't had problems with mine (yet... fingers crossed) but the back says it was made in Nov last year, and I turn the console off every night...
doesn't seem to heat up at all...

just one question tho:
have you all got warranty on the 360?
if mine does RRoDs, would I need warranty paid for to be able to call Microsoft and ask for repairs?
No, the warranty comes with the purchase of the Xbox 360. They extended the warranty of all boxes to three years. Mine was only a year before the extension, and I wouldn't have been eligible if not for them owning up to their screwups.

So to answer your question, no you don't have to pay. Microsoft is willing to swallow $1 billion to replace all 360s that face the Red Ring of Death.

When I called consumer support, I confirmed with them that I am seeing three red flashing lights. They asked me to turn it off, check the AC adapter color (it should be green) and wait 10 seconds. I turned it back on again and it was still flashing red.

Afterward they told me they were sending me the packaging "casket" and asked me to remove the hard drive and face plate. I was to send it back to them within 22 days, where they will test the box. Plus they throw in a free gold subscription to Xbox Live for one month, even though I don't get the point since I am already a subscriber.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Old 02-25-2008, 03:53 AM   #14
videochilex
32-bit Poster

Quote:
No, the warranty comes with the purchase of the Xbox 360. They extended the warranty of all boxes to three years. Mine was only a year before the extension, and I wouldn't have been eligible if not for them owning up to their screwups.

So to answer your question, no you don't have to pay. Microsoft is willing to swallow $1 billion to replace all 360s that face the Red Ring of Death.

When I called consumer support, I confirmed with them that I am seeing three red flashing lights. They asked me to turn it off, check the AC adapter color (it should be green) and wait 10 seconds. I turned it back on again and it was still flashing red.

Afterward they told me they were sending me the packaging "casket" and asked me to remove the hard drive and face plate. I was to send it back to them within 22 days, where they will test the box. Plus they throw in a free gold subscription to Xbox Live for one month, even though I don't get the point since I am already a subscriber.

you could always ebay your subscription
videochilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #15
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Sorry to hear it Gene, that completely sucks.

(and sorry to you too, Song... my in-laws live overseas and they have weekly horror stories about the APO system.)

If the 360 wasn't such a kick-ass system, i'd have sworn it off for the RROD issue alone, but damn it if i don't enjoy it the most out of the current 3 consoles by a country mile... it's not even a contest.

BTW Gene, don't use the month of free Live -- i cashed mine in thinking i'd get a free month and i did, but the shitty part is that the gold subscription cancels after the month, and does not auto-revert back to your ccard... you'll have to re-subscribe manually through your console.

it's completely retarded... "here, have a free month on us, and then have another hassle when you take us up on it."

: P