View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #2133
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Holding hands like in Ico would not have worked for these characters, but I think some mechanic for interaction would have enhanced things. I'm just not sure what that mechanic would be. It's just a shame that the best parts of the game, the character moments, happen largely in the background or during cutscenes.

I just played through the Left Behind dlc. That chapter actually does include a lot more character interaction as part of gameplay. It strips most of the original game's combat out and instead focuses on two girls hanging out at a mall, just having fun and talking about their feelings. It refashions the main game's combat mechanics and finds a lot of interesting uses for them in this new context. It's the strongest chapter yet.

I don't want to leave the impression that I'm at all dissatisfied with The Last of Us as it currently stands. I see plenty of room for improvement, but that's a source of excitement rather than disappointment. Because even with all its flaws and shortcomings, it manages to be one of the most effective games I've ever played. I can't wait to see other games take the next step.
Zanbatou is online now   Reply With Quote