View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #2114
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I have seen that article before, but I'm glad you brought it up again after I played the game. I especially like the list at the end outlining a bunch of things the author appreciated about the game. Spot on.

However, while I'm glad the article points out the hidden depths of the game, I reject the premise that the game's "invisible choice system" failed because it was ahead of its time. It failed because it was implemented so inconsistently. The game is so inconsistent about where it let the player go and what it let the player do that it's not surprising that many people gave up and just started following all prompts as given.

The game spends hours punishing players with invisible walls whenever they try to stray off the telegraphed path, but then places some of its most touching content off the telegraphed path. I knew to be on the lookout for more content because I read that article before playing the game, but it still felt clumsy. I spent a lot of time searching for content that ended up not being there.

There's a scene early on where Jodie wants to sneak out of her room to go to a party, but the only way to do that is to mind control her friend Cole. I searched Jodie's room over and over again looking for any alternative, including abandoning the escape plan altogether, because that action is morally reprehensible. (It's one of the unforgivable curses! Come on!). Finally I sighed and played along because clearly it was the only way to advance the story. Later on when it actually is possible to make some interesting choices, there's no indication given that the player should expect anything more than the single path they'd been trained to follow up to that point.

So you either miss out on content, or waste time searching for content where there isn't any. That plus QTEs equals a mess of a game in my book.

But again, I really enjoyed Beyond: Two Souls, despite everything. I feel like I'm on the wrong side of this discussion. I would side with the game's defenders!

Last edited by Zanbatou; 04-22-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote