View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #2112
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I just finished Beyond: Two Souls. I wish I'd made an effort to finish it when it came out so I could have participated more in the discussions then. It seems like a fun game to talk about. The game is a mess, and it did so many things wrong... yet overall I'm left with a very positive opinion of it.

I remember why I bought the game in the first place. I saw a gameplay video where a young Jodie is asked a question by one of the scientists studying her, and the player gets to choose rather to shrug or say yes. In terms of the plot, it probably doesn't matter at all which one you choose, but the shrug from the video was so shy and expressive that it stuck with me.

The game is full of these little role playing opportunities that, despite being incredibly limited, are expressive in a way that I don't see offered anywhere else. It sucks that you can't answer 'no' to a question the game expects a 'yes' to, but being able to choose how you say yes ends up being just as interesting a decision.

I'm glad I don't have to write a review of the game, because my closing statement would be something like "The game itself is a train wreck, full of terrible design choices and an incredibly inconsistent story... but it let me choose whether to shrug or not, and somehow that made up for everything".

Last edited by Zanbatou; 04-16-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote