View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #2085
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

It wasn't great. Some of it was good, some bad. It basically followed a similar structure to XCOM:EU, in that you went out on missions and then in between missions you levelled up your team, assigned them new weapons etc. It was pretty cool to be able to walk around the XCOM base and talk to the scientists and engineers, though it was a bit Guantanamo Bay at times. Some of the characters were very well voiced, but I swore that the lead female character was voiced by Apple's Siri. I couldn't believe it was a real person when I looked it up on IMDB after.

The combat was meant to be shooting + abilities in the Mass Effect vein - call up a wheel and tell your team what to do. The main problem is that any difficulty above Very Easy is fucking impossible. I'm not joking. Your guys can take about two bullets at the start, and the game throws you into large arenas with enemies coming from all directions, plus a gunship firing at you from above. All this with waist-high cover meant it was crazy frustrating.

Once I turned down the difficulty to the easiest setting, I had a lot more fun. However, that then takes some of the strategy out of the game (apart from some big set pieces where I can't even imagine how you'd complete them on anything above Easy) as you can breeze through a lot of the missions without having to really think about positioning and abilities.

That said, it was a lot of fun in the end. Definitely one to look out for in the bargain bin. And turn it to Easy, seriously.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote