View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #435
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I think Li-Ion was wrong when he said Dark was the better game.
I stand by my judgement that Dark is the better game. Demon's has a lot of game mechanisms that don't really work. Prime example the tendency system, which is completely screwed up the second you go online. But since the online component is such a great part of the game you essentially have to decide if you want to complete the game with everything it has to offer (by playing offline), or have fun with the online component and hope that one day they'll do a black or white tendency event, so that you can finally see all parts of the level.

Exploring the levels is also much more fun in Dark, thanks to the addition of jumping. In Demon's it was only possible to take certain shortcuts at certain parts of a level. In Dark you can circumvent e.g. large parts of the castle in Anor Londo with a well-timed jump. Also melee and magic are better balanced in Dark. More importantly: in Dark the character is much quicker on ladders and can slide down ladders. This gameplay change alone is already worth all the praise in the world once you go through the game a second or third time

Demon's has some wonderful levels and I think some of the level design is stronger than in Dark. Especially the Tower of Latria, which I consider one of the best levels in any video game ever made. Dark has some sections that are oddly "empty" at times and is less diverse in terms of levels. On the other hand: Dark has better boss fights, especially the ones from the DLC (Kalameet, Artorias, Manus) are amazing. A surprising number of bossfights in Demon's are a bit gimmicky.

Hence, overall I think Dark is the better game. The game mechanics are just a bit more polished overall and don't counteract each other like in some cases in Demon's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
The big question - are you taking your desktop?
Of course, can't leave without it

@JLB thanks for the wishes and have fun with Spec Ops, I'd buy its Soundtrack in a heartbeat if they would sell it.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 02-03-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote