View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #30
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: Game of the Year - preliminary discussion

Game of the Year: Tribes Ascend
I had so much fun with this game. It's a team based multiplayer shooter, but the mechanics are so different (to a first time Tribes player) that it almost feels like a new genre altogether.

Best Individual Moment: Mass Effect 3
I almost chose this as my Game of the Year based solely on how perfectly Mordin's mission played out in my particular playthrough of the game. I made dozens of choices over the course of the entire series that all helped shape this scene, and it still played out perfectly. It was a surprising highpoint in a series that already had the strongest storytelling and characters I've ever seen in a game.

Most Fun to Talk about: XCom: Enemy Unknown
Everyone has their own stories to tell about the desperate situations they got into and the important decisions and sacrifices they had to make as a result. It's also refreshing to have a game difficult enough to actually warrant bragging about.

Most Time Spent on Character Creation: Guild Wars 2
I still don't know if I actually like Guild Wars 2, or MMOs in general (guild wars 2 is my first). So far I think the game itself is a bit of a mess. But I love my characters. I've created five so far, one from each race, and I return to the game every couple of weeks solely because I miss them.

I don't even play the game, really. The game's been out for months, and my highest character is at level 17. I just like running around and posing in front of cool scenery in various outfits. Honestly, I might as well be playing with dolls.

Most Time Spent: Skyrim
I haven't even gotten to any of the DLC yet either. There's a decent chance this could be my most played game next year too.

It you're looking for a top 5 list for ranking purposes, I'd go:

1. Tribes: Ascend
2. Mass Effect 3
3. XCom: Enemy Unknown
4. Guild Wars 2
5. Hero Academy

I guess. I play more games than anyone I know, and I still don't play enough to actually make a top 5 list each year, especially if you want to limit it to games released that year. There's always more on the "top" list than off of it.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote