View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Rate this revew: Mirror's Edge

Really well written review. I like it, but there are a couple of areas where it could be improved (imo).

It's pretty long! This is your choice of course.

I think the main thing I could say about it is that for a game where the mechanics are the most notable thing about it, your review just lacks a clear outline of those mechanics. I see what you were getting at - and your style for this review is more in the descriptive vein than the prosaic - but for me I think you need a paragraph about the mechanics in there which is expressed slightly more clearly than it is.

For example look at this review (NB I haven't really read this review, so I'm not saying whether it is any good or not, it's just an example of what I mean to say):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...s-edge-review/

Like you, he starts off by getting into the fiction of the sparkly dystopian future, but in paragraph 3 he gets straight to an unfussy description of the mechanics. I know your review references the red handholds etc, but I feel that something plainer like this would benefit the review early on, maybe after para 3?

It's going to be a challenge to go from your style into something like that though, and I suppose that is something you have already thought of - how to impart dull info like that while keeping your tone. I can't help thinking that this style is too elaborate/flowery for the mundane task of writing reviews!

Very pleasant reading though. Would be interesting to hear what someone who hasn't played ME thinks of it.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote