View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #387
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: What are you playing right now?

Oh dear. Just read the Hitman:Absolution review on here, and whilst it doesn't detract my enjoyment from it thus far, I can't help but agree with many of it's points.

My impressions, though; Music isn't as good as the three previous games (can't speak for the first game, never played it). Silent Assassin's music, for example, was so good, I'm gonna give it another playthrough in the future. The music from the previous two games were not only great, but fit the two, very different, approaches to the gameplay/ narrative combination (Contracts, whilst being the worst game so far, was still a good Hitman game, and had the wonderfully surreal synopsis of most of the missions being the flashbacks of a dying 47- the visuals and music reflected this brilliantly). Which also brings me onto the plot- the cutscenes are better made than any of the previous games so far, it's just a shame the story, thus far, isn't very good. 47 has already been shown to have empathy, after the events of Silent Assassin had him rescue the priest who gave him a life and a purpose away from the killing 47 briefly turned his back on.

The levels seem much smaller so far than previous games, I'm not sure it was a good idea to split each level into so many sections.

I will also be starting the game again on hard mode. You get *way* too many perks playing on normal mode, and I don't like it.

I am really liking it overall, though. On top of my previous post on the game, the levels are so full of life (aside from the opening level, I also really enjoyed the tension of a part where you have to evade the police and escape on a train, by blending into the crowd). Everywhere you go, there is someone talking to someone else. Blake Dexter is also a deliciously awful bad guy. It's nice there's finally a memorable enemy that is the focus of the game alongside Agent 47.

Overall, it's a lot of fun, but I'm not as grabbed by it as any of the previous games. I just hope it can fit a few memorable levels into it, as that is what a Hitman game is to me.

Li-Ion- if you enjoyed Blood Money despite the clumsiness of controlling baldy, I think you'd still get a kick from the two games before that. Contracts, despite my thinking of it as being the worst of the games I've played, oddly has the most memorable "hits" in it. Particular highlights include The Meat King, and a level where you have to save someone from being used as a human target in a hunt by a hunting club..

EDIT: This is going to be my last comment on the game, as I would like to use the rare opportunity of my buying a new game (and one that is part of a series that has been a huge part of my gaming life) to write a feature or review on it when I've completed it, something I've been meaning to do for a long time.

I'm up to the orphanage level, and I can't believe that no one has mentioned the opening to this. I won't go into it, for fear of spoiling it for others, but I haven't had a game impact me so much since the end of Red Dead Redemption. It's only a very short, barely interactive segment before the level starts properly, but it's really lovely. Turns out that Agent 47 isn't just an amoral asshole, after all. Possible gaming moment of the year.

Last edited by JLB1987; 12-04-2012 at 09:04 PM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote