View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #263
Doug Troy
Surly McDouchebag

Re: What are you playing right now?

I just finished the single player for Spec Ops: The Line. I'll try to keep it vague below.

Wow. A pedestrian first half that goes insane for the middle arc and then full-on bugfuck crazypants for the ending.

I wish the story and the aesthetics and the acting had been paired with better gameplay mechanics, because some of the stuff this game pulls off in the campaign story is phenomenal and an amazing counterpoint to the "RAH RAH SHOOT ALL THE DUDES OSCAR MIKE" shooters we've been getting for the last half-decade.

Small tidbit: the loading screens become amazing for the last bit. I won't say how or why, I'll just say that Yager pulled off something special from a narrative standpoint and it almost finds a way to reignite the 'games as art' debate.
"I actually talked to an Iraqi cabdriver last year in Salt Lake City about the war. He said it was like the US came and weeded his garden, but pulled out most of the vegetables in the process. Needless to say, he had mixed feelings. So I stiffed him on the tip. USA! USA! USA!"
Doug Troy is offline   Reply With Quote