View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Bilgewater
New Poster

Re: I'm afraid of Metro: Last Light

For some reason, my original response to you guys hasn't gone through.

Pedro,

I hope you enjoy 2033. It is fun in places, but I found it more interesting to look at through a critical perspective to see where the devs went right and where they went wrong. Though I'm not a developer or in the game design community at all, I find it really interesting to look at mechanics and gameplay as they relate to story-telling. As I mentioned in the original post, there are some great ideas that are executed really well.

I played half of Far Cry 1 on a friend's computer and I have some fond memories of it. I remember seeing some media for 3 and thinking it looked a little culturally insensitive, but I thought the same thing about RE 5 and look how that turned out! Oh... right.

Oh, and big tip that I only found out about half-way through the game in a loading screen tip. The three lights on your watch (green, yellow, red) correspond to how well hidden you are.

JLB,

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I hope you're willing to give it a try. There are a few "gotcha" scares, a la Doom 3 or Dead Space, but most of it is just creepy atmosphere.

Spoiler? I guess?

The most powerful moments in the game arise from scavenging dead bodies. In comparison to another post-apocalyptic epic, Fallout 3 turns the pilfering of corpses into this dehumanized redundant menu system where you eventually stop thinking about the fact that you are stripping caps and ammo from someone's child/sibling/parent. 2033 never really lets you forget that you are desecrating the corpse of some unknown survivor. You actually have to aim at and collect indivudually the ammo, medkits, and air filters you so desperately need for your own survival. The most chilling and unsettling moments are when you realize your gas mask is cracked and that you must get a new one. Taking a mask off a corpse to reveal the cold blue face underneath, then putting that mask directly on your face is a powerful (if gross) interaction that adds to gameplay, narrative, and immersion all at once. This is the kind of powerful stuff I hope to see more of in gaming, and, to my original point, appears to be falling by the wayside in favor of guns-blazing-over-powered-death-machine gameplay that I've had enough of.
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote