View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Bilgewater
New Poster

Re: I'm afraid of Metro: Last Light

Pedro,

It's definitely worth a playthrough. I don't work in the industry at all, but I'm really fascinated by game mechanics and seeing how they do or don't work. It's also interesting to see how they work with the narrative and when 2033 clicks, it really clicks. I highly recommend playing it in Russian with subtitles, it really adds a lot to the atmosphere.

JLB,

Thanks! It seems like I always do my best writing at 3 AM and four beers deep.

It's not too terrifying. There are some definite jump moments, but it's mostly atmospheric. Even the atmosphere isn't so much scary as it is spooky and unsettling. Pedro might not want to read this part if he'd rather discover it for himself, but it did make me a little uncomfortable every time I came across a long-deceased scavenger and had to strip the gear off their body. I think it's useful to compare this game to Fallout 3/New Vegas (or really any post-apocalyptia) in which scavenging dead bodies was a totally dehumanized affair. Approach dead body, hit button, open menu. In 2033, ammunition, health packs, and air filters are actually interactive items visibly attached to the unlucky victim. You have to aim at them and collect each bandolier individually. One of the more unsettling aspects is that your gas mask can become more and more cracked, requiring you to replace it. Taking a gas mask off a man to reveal the cold blue face underneath, then immediately putting that mask on your face for your own survival was more disturbing than any pale, fleshy monster baring its teeth at me. When a gameplay mechanic can be that visceral, that disturbing, and contribute to story-telling all at the same time, you know you have something magical... and gross.
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote