View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #1952
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Finished Legend of Grimrock and it was awesome! It is not simply inspired by Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder or Lands of Lore, it's more like a loveletter to this genre that has pretty much died out in the Quake-era.

The concept is simple: a party of four prisoners (adventurers) descents into Grimrock, the most remote area of an unnamed kingdom for crimes they committed. It's never explained what crimes, but whoever escapes mount Grimrock is absolved of all crimes. Too bad no one escaped, until now. There's not much of a story beyond that, but that's not the point.

Movement is tile by tile and turns are 90 degrees only (albeit free mouse look exists and is helpful in some of the puzzles). Combat is fairly simple and covers melee, ranged attacks and a magic system which is based on clicking a series of runes in order to cast a spell, rather than selecting the spell from a list. Getting a spell ready while being chased by a legion of giant crabs tests the ability to multitask and I don't envy people trying to play with a party of two (or more) mages.

Each level has not only it's share of combat against increasingly difficult enemies, but also a range of puzzles. The puzzle design is very good and the puzzles manage to stay challenging without being overly obscure (a problem with puzzles in a lot of fantasy games). There is always some hint hidden somewhere. There is generally a lot of stuff hidden. Many secrets wait behind moving walls, unlocked by hidden switches. Also seven treasures lie hidden, in my time in Grimrock I could only find 3 of them.

It's available on steam, gog.com or the developers website directly. It took me 15 hours to complete (and I missed out quite a lot of secrets and treasures it seems) and I can't remember any dull moments. Also they promised to release a map editor soon, which means this game could possibly go on forever with user generated dungeons.

Grimrock has my seal of approval