Thread: Sports Games
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Sports Games

What's the general consensus on sports games? Do you see them as a waste of time - meaningless iterations on the same basic idea, with roster updates, or something more?

This was prompted by reading the first installment of a series that's on the quartertothree website, about the road to the show mode in The Show 12. It looks interesting, check it out!

As a lot of games have the 'develop your player' feature now, we're seeing the dreaded 'RPG elements' come into play a lot more. Added to that is the fact that these games take a lot of skill, and plenty of strategy to master, and offer an almost unlimited learning curve against online players, and I think you have an extremely strong genre which is unfairly maligned.

Personally, I'm a Madden fan, and enjoy Tiger Woods, though regrettably EA indulge in some shocking price gouging there and I probably won't buy it again. I also play PES very rarely, and The Show (though only as a pitcher in RTTS mode) when I can get it. Looking forward to picking up the latest version when I visit the US next week.

What about you? NHL2K? Football Manager? Blood Bowl?
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote