View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: please rate this op-ed piece: “Cinematic” is not a good thing for games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
back and forth might many times change nothing on the core of a disagreement but i'm really happy when i in the end can follow someones thoughts better.

a favorite cite of mine
"I have never learned anything from any man who agreed with me" Dudley Field Malone
What I was trying to point out is that game design is at a point where it is being crafted by a generation who grew up on expensively made games and expensively made action movies, have short attention spans, crave instant gratification and want to be validated for their choices by the media they buy. All these influences contribute to an OVERALL dumbed down set of aesthetics. In both mediums. That's what I'm thinking about. And these thoughts came out of listening to the podcast members discuss Uncharted 3. I played about half of Uncharted 2 and couldn't stand it, it having so many of these qualities I've come to loathe in videogames. I think cinematic camera angles and cinematic music are fine for games.
I think game levels designed as action sequences where you do the correct moves or die trying should have been left in the laserdisc games of the 80s.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote