Thread: The Witcher 2
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #30
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: The Witcher 2

I am torn about Witcher 2 so far.

The good:
Graphics are gorgeous! Witcher 2 looks and sounds excellent, art direction and engine are top notch. While Crysis 2 has excellent graphics from a technical standpoint, the art direction was a bit lacking. Witcher 2 on the other hand has vibrant colours and cities that feel alive. The exposition of the story so far is also very good and makes me look forward to the rest. Combat is also more interesting than in the first one, but still not really good.

The bad:
Inventory system is as clear and easy to grasp as the Tokyo subway map
Some of the character models look like they're floating rather than walking. Minor concern but with the rest of the graphics at such a high standard small oddities stand out.
Texture pop-in.

The ugly:
The first hour should apparently act as tutorial of some kind. It didn't tell me squat. I figured out after half an hour and countless deaths that E is blocking, but for some reason unknown to me it still doesn't work in some cases.

In 1 on 1 situations combat is pretty straightforward: dodge to the side, hack, slash, dodge to the side, hack, slash. With large groups of enemies it's a bit like shepherding, running in circles trying to take down the weaker enemies until I run out of enemies. I had some fights against wraiths who could kill me easily in 2 or 3 hits, even with my shield on, while I have to hit them for what felt like half an hour. So I resorted to run around like Benny Hill.