View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #78
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: What are you playing right now?

Bought the "Humble Bundle 3" selection of indie games the other night. It was a pay-what-you-want deal consisting of five games (Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, VVVVVV, Hammerfight, and And Yet It Moves), two bonus games (Steel Storm and Atom Zombie Smasher), and since I paid more than the average donation (which was around $6; I paid $10), got the Humble Bundle 2 as well (Braid, Cortex Command, Machinarium, Osmos and Revenge Of The Titans). Phew.

Atom Zombie Smasher
I've tested all the games out, if only for a few minutes, to make sure they work and see if any catch my attention. This certainly did; almost a sort of tower defence game, if the "towers" were terrified humans/ yellow dots, running away from flesh-eating zombies/ purple dots. An hour or so into the main campaign, and it's a lot of fun. The aim on each level is to evacuate a set amount of citizens from each city. Any extra people you save give bonus points, and if you manage to eradicate all the zombies, it's an automatic victory and you are awarded yet more bonus points. Only annoyance is not being able to choose what you get to help you each level, and early on in the game, a lot of the stuff you do get is too basic to give you a fair chance of total victory, but I guess it's all part of the challenge.

Braid
An interesting one. A puzzler first and foremost, with platforming elements, using time-manipulation to help you overcome obstacles to collect puzzle pieces. Played for about an hour so far, and I haven't formed a solid opinion yet. Love the art style, don't like the story-telling between worlds. Love some of the puzzles, and how it's not immediately obvious what you have to do, hate the uneven difficulty and lack of explaining anything. Overall, though, definitely worth a try.

Cogs
Another puzzle game, albeit more traditional; a more complex version of those "slide the tile" games you probably played with when you were little. Enjoying it immensely, to my surprise. There are different medals for each level, tied to how quickly/ how many moves you solve each puzzle in. Basic, but attractive graphics. Just a lovely game. About half an hour in, and is certainly one I could (and will) go back to every once in a while.

Yet to play any of the other games in-depth, although what I've seen of Machinarium is very promising.

Unfortunately, the bundle is no longer on sale, as it was a limited-time offer only. But I'm glad I've bought it; you could decide how to split the money you donate amongst a couple of different charities, cost of maintaining the site selling the pack, etc. I put the slider up on a children's charity as much as I could without nullifying any of the other options, and so not only do I have some great indie games, but am very happy that I will have contributed (if only a small amount) to put a smile on a child's face, somewhere. In conclusion, best $10 I've spent in a while.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote