View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #198
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Re: Last movie impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Troy View Post
Captain America: This one basically washes the horrid taste of Green Lantern away, which is a feat in and of itself. Really, the most concise way for me to describe why I liked Captain America is this: "The Rocketeer meets Indiana Jones". For me, that properly sums up how the movie kept the big grin on my face all the way through.
I mentioned Indiana Jones on the podcast segment where we discuss summer movies as well. I thought the way they handled the reference to the Golden Age comics was brilliant. So many layers for depth there.

What's great about what Marvel Studios is doing is that not only are they incredibly faithful to the comics, but they also address what's weak and/or missing from the comics to really give the characters more dimension. The end result to something that's greater than the parts from which it's derived.

Recently saw...

Unknown
Jason Bourne meets Regarding Henry. Not bad.

Kung Fu Slam Dunk
This one is currently on Netflix instant watch. Only watched a third so far and my impressions are it isn't as funny and quirky as it thinks it is and there's a little too much pandering to the teen boop crowd (young boys with long hair). Jay Chou seems largely disinterested.

Green Hornet
This was a lot better than I thought it was and I'm surprised anyone thinks this movie is more standard superhero stuff. Feels nothing like a super hero movie and uses the source material quite cleverly. The movie perhaps would have had a better payoff if the bromance, which started off great, but ended kind of weird.