View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #178
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Re: Last movie impressions

Haven't checked this thread in some time, but here are some of my recent views:

Predators
A really enjoyable movie, especially with how bad it potentially could have been. A few things were a little lame, but overall, I wouldn't mind seeing a direct sequel.

Terminator Salvation
Wasn't expecting much and thus was pleasantly surprised. Definitely better than the third installment, but still not close to the first two. Something seemed missing, but not sure exactly what it was (more Terminators maybe?).

The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Another movie based on a classic children's book that left me feeling eh (the first being Where the Wild Things Are). The movie was okay, with bonus points given for the style, but completely missed the point of the source material. Children's books should only be made into movies if they stay original to the source.

The King's Speech
Not really on my list of "must-see", but turned out to be a lot better than I had anticipated. Not sure it was the best film of 2010, but definitely a good view.

True Grit (2010)
Never saw the original, but this movie was splendid. Love the Coen brothers, Bridges, and westerns - this included all three. Couldn't help but laugh at a few times when the Dude showed up, but still a great movie. Really wish more westerns were made in Hollywood today, even if they are remakes.

Tron
Actually the first time I have seen this movie. Fun from a videogame nerd point-of-view, but really, the movie wasn't very good. Not bad, but not good.

Blue Valentine
Not sure with this movie. Felt like I was watching a camera crew follow a troubled couple around and that the problem never was resolved, one way or the other. In fact, it almost seemed like this was not actually a story, but just an observation. Guess I just don't get it. Another movie that I didn't feel was bad, but not like I'll be re-watching it

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
The Incredibles
Kind of a simple Watchmen for kids. Good. CGI is great.
Wow, "simple" is such an understatement! A)Better than Watchmen (which I found to be a solid movie). B)Until Up, possibly the best movie put out by Pixar. Though I'm slightly partial to Brad Bird animated movies. If you haven't yet, and enjoy animation, check out The Iron Giant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Gran Torino
Much better than Million Dollar Baby.
Never saw Million Dollar Baby myself, but for me Gran Turino is one of the best movies I've seen this past decade. Not sure if it was one thing, but the story was superb, the acting excellent, and the ending was phenomenal.

Last edited by frogofdeath; 07-04-2011 at 12:52 PM.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote