View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #1847
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I beat Bayonetta yesterday.

Its a solid game, I think its a keeper, but I really wish developers would stop making diversion levels too hard.

[rant]

Diversion levels, are when a game completely changes itself for one section (and basically becomes a different game entirely). Like a motorcycle level in Tomb Raider. Or a tank level in Gears of War. Or that 2D flying game in Jade Empire. These sections are rarely made as well as the main portion of the game. They are just thrown in, to prevent boredom from doing the same thing over and over.

These sections should never be so difficult, that people fail them over and over and over. Having to repeat to a "wouldnt it be funny if we did this" level hurts a game, more than it breaks up monotony.

Bayonetta has a "Rocket level" youtube LINK
where aiming up and down are reverse on the Y axis (and it can not be inverted on my 360 version - there are camera inversion settings in the game, but they have no effect on this level. There is a turret level later on, that can not be inverted either).

Its not that this level is that hard to survive (even with reversed controls). It is that there is only one check point, for the entire level. And just before that lone checkpoint, there is a minor boss (the second hardest enemy in the entire section).

Luckily I found that I could avoid damage, on everything but the lieutenants on this level (it completely killed my score, but at least I was able to get through it). Other wise, I might have quit the game, right there. As it was, I still had to repeat the level 5 or 6 times.

So developers, stop making diversionary levels that we have to fail over and over.

[/rant]
joetbd is offline   Reply With Quote