View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 04:05 AM   #152
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: Last movie impressions

Rain Man

The story of selfish businessman Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise) and the autistic brother he never knew he had, Raymond Babbitt (Dustin Hoffman). This film probably needs no introduction, but I only watched it for the first time last night.

Brilliant film. First of all, the acting by everyone is great. Hoffman does a wonderful job of portraying a man who doesn't understand the real world (and isn't really understood by anyone), and Cruise's performance is just as good.

The film isn't full of sentimentality, which is something I was afraid of (I loved how Cruise's character was an asshole to Raymond throughout much of the film, but Raymond always got the better of him), which makes the genuinely touching scenes ever more satisfying. I don't mind admitting I nearly started crying during the scene at a motel where Raymond describes the day he left to go live in the care home (in a completely factual manner, of course- "January 12, 1965. Very snowy that day. 7.2 inches of snow that day. ") Equally satisfying is the relationship that is slowly built between Charlie and Raymond, with Charlie often not even realising that he cares until a situation crops up where he has to admit it to himself.

Overall, I thought this was a great film. 8/10
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote