View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #1772
Gog
New Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Vanquish

It was a very good experience for me. I was feeling up to the challenge, so I tried Hard mode right away, and found a game that's deep, exciting and tough-as-nails (124 total deaths in a 6 hour campaign). Still, when I died, it did not feel cheap; I knew exactly when I screwed up, and how to get the better of my enemies in subsequent battles.

Also, interestingly, the suit worn by the main character often seems like it is an enemy in itself; it needs to be dominated and kept under tight control, because pushing it too far will result in yet another death. En résumé, the gameplay is rich, complex, rewarding, and fun to master.

I was a bit skeptical of the game's aesthetics at first (I found it a bit washed-out and shallow), but it grew on me after a while; the game's locations, as well as the design of the enemies and the main character, are rife with vivid details and colors (can't say the same about the generic space marines that accompany you, though).

Unfortunately, it is lacking in variety and length, and the whole story/characters/voice acting aspect is putrid, to say the least. Even so, the rest has been done masterfully.

Highly recommended.

Last edited by Gog; 03-12-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Gog is offline   Reply With Quote