View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #1722
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Finished Uncharted 2. Among thieves is a fitting subtitle, since they blatantly ripped off movies like National Treasure, the Mummy and of course Indiana Jones. At times the game felt like a theme park ride attached to aforementioned movies and while I thoroughly enjoyed playing it, it's story didn't leave lasting impressions. That means: of course I remember roughly what happened, but if someone retells random scenes from National Treasure or Uncharted 2, I couldn't tell which was which.

Uncharted 2 is also the first game I played and finished on my PS3. It has a very cinematic feel to it, with loading screens cleverly disguised as narrow passageways or unskippable cutscenes. It is a really pretty game and sometimes I stopped in my tracks, just looking around and admiring the landscape. It knows that it's pretty and uses everything it has to full effect.

Somewhere at the 90% mark I was then reminded on the whole games are art-discussion and why there's still plenty of doubt if games can be art to begin with: they're not even trying to. I wouldn't call National Treasure a piece of art, neither can I say that about anything connected to Nathan Drake. I won't quote Uncharted when going out with my friends - maybe inadvertently, since so many quotes could be from any of the movies above - and the only thing I learned about the human condition is that grenades work well against dudes with riot shields.

That said: everyone with a playstation 3 owes himself experiencing this game for the technological marvel it is. Unfortunately not for it's depth.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote