View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Grassroots0018

Rep Power: 0 Grassroots0018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Halo: The FAll of Reach Book REview

Released on November 15, 2001, Halo 1 Combat Evolved was a hit. Selling more copies than any game in history, it certainly is to this day one of the best games of all time. Iím sure most of you have played at least one of the many halo games out there and know how fun they are. Getting to be a one-man army badass all the time is a great feeling to have. When in real life can you shoot down aliens and blow stuff up? Now as great as Halo is, I was slightly skeptical on reading a book about my most favorite game. Most books that are based on games, commonly, are an eye sour and give me headaches when reading. Although that may be true, Halo: The Fall of Reach written by Eric Nylund, kept me wanting more and more.
Halo: The Fall of Reach made me love the Halo series so much more. The book starts off about 40 years before the game. It tells a story about how the SPARTAN project was created and the people involved with it. The story is about our good old boy the Master Chief. It describes how John 117 became the Master Chief and you really get to see how the hero became a hero and what trials and efforts were taken to become what he is.
Unlike the game though, the book isnít just all about Spartan 117, aka Master Chief, at all. Theyíre are a whole set of characters involved, and which each have a different role and vibrant attitude. When reading this book Nylund really makes you feel the characters in a way that makes you really there. There are five main Spartans that you really get to know, out of 150 that are all in the SPARTAN program.
Eric Nylund really goes into a lot of detail with the book in its entirety. Every new chapter has a military feel to it. The chapters start off giving you an exact location, time, date, and even planet. This really captured my imagination, allowing me to easily fallow where and what character the next chapter would be about. When a new gun is introduced Nylund then goes into a detailed description of the weapon and how itís used. Which, for me, was a really neat addition to the book. I have been playing with these weapons for years in the games, and not once known where theyíre manufactured or how useful they are in combat.
Eric Nylund has really written a creative all around good book. With its vibrant characters, to how it is written, Halo: The Fall of Reach is a grand tale. I strongly recommend this book to anyone wanting the true Halo experience. Even if youíre not a Halo fan this book is great for any Sci Fi reader wanting something interesting.

Grassroots0018 is offline   Reply With Quote