View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #1473
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Juicebox View Post
The other night, I finished Lost Odyssey on the X360. Logged right about 70 hours, and enjoyed every minuted of it! Well, every minute except the ones I wasted trying to kill that stupid 'ring master' and his dog - such an infuriatingly difficult battle, and I have nothing to show for it... except for my failure and shame! Anyway, the storyline was good - albeit a little hokey at times *understatement* - but what really kept me going was how much fun it was doing all the little side stuff sprinkled throughout the game! That, and the fact that the visuals and audio were polished to a point of inspiring awe on occasion! On the whole, I'd recommend this game to anyone looking to return to their turn-based RPG roots for a well paced, true to form throwback to the JRPG's of yesteryear!
Sounds good. I know Lost Odyssey received a lot of flak from a lot of people, and our resident poster Boy disliked it as well, but I'm willing to give it a try to see if Mystwalker is better at developing RPGs for X360 than Square-Enix (The Last Remnant, anyone?). Chances are I won't finish it, but maybe it'll have enough narrative fats to keep me engrossed for a long time.

Speaking of turn-based RPG roots for a well paced, true to form throwback to the JRPG's of yesterday, try Persona 3 (if you still haven't) and the much, much improved Persona 4. I think I've only a few hours to go before I finish P4, but right now I can already say that it's the best RPG of the year, and it even belongs in my top 10 list. The story is so good too that even if the cutscenes can last for hours, you'll have a hard time prying your controller loose.

As for something on-topic, I just finished Call of Duty 4 yesterday. I liked it; I thought some of the levels have great designs. I did eventually grow tired of it, though, but the game just about ended then. The story is surprisingly poignant for this kind of game, which is why it still baffles me why there's an arcade mode that treats soldiers like cannon fodder when the game itself keeps hammering home the point that war is ugly (complete with game over screens of quotes from historical figures) and assigning points to different kinds of shots an-

... well, I won't get into that.