View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #1321
Aaron
Biding time on the SOL

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Yeah, again Ace Attorney spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun
Yeah, and it does not work very well simply because it's too obvious. Just make them different, no need to make them obvious opposite, especially if the outcomes are not quite.
Maybe, but it is worth noting that this isn't anything new to this game. The series seems to like (for good or for bad) to purposely mirror or invert their own past conventions or characters in order to build some point or theme. Game 2 is probably the most blatant about (and IMO worst at) it, where cases 2 and 3 in particular mirror the 1st game's cases 2 and 3 in a number of superficial ways (Maya on trial...again, crazy showbiz conspiracy where you defend some idol of Maya's...again). The major difference though is that the villains are more sympathetic and the cases increasingly more twisted than anything from game 1 - which works thematically well with game 2's final case and ultimately comments on some of the simplicity of the first game.

Also, for whatever its worth, I do think most of the characters in "Apollo Justice" are defined beyond their opposite equivalents and their characterizations, relationships, and back stories are built on their own terms. Those similarities are largely superficial I think. My point was really more of an observation of how tightly written and dedicated the games are in exploring and sometimes challenging their own themes, messages, and conventions - as well as noting how aware the games are of many of their own formulas when spinning them, regardless of execution and ignoring the fancruft that surrounds this series.

Last edited by Aaron; 02-27-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote