View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #1254
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Finally finished Deus Ex on the PS2 last night. I've started and quit the game two or three times previously, but I was determined to see it through.

After finally putting it through its paces and getting credits to roll, I have to say that it's probably the best four dollars I've ever spent on a game.

Although the graphics look extremely crude now and the frame rate is terrible during battles with more than two or three opponents, it was still a great experience and holds up well (intellectually, anyway) compared to modern day titles.

Anybody who has hasn't played it yet, I would definitely recommend it, especially since you can get a used copy for less than five dollars. I don't think it starts very well and the beginning sections of the game can be a turnoff, but it definitely gets better.

My only real criticisms of the game are:

> finding so many lockpicks, multitoools, guns and ammo packs in crates scattered throughout every level was pretty ridiculous. I mean, I understand why they did it for reasons of playability, but the critic in me thinks that there must have been another way to accomplish the same goal without falling into such an unbelievable cliché.

> The adventure was way too long for its own good. I was actually shocked to see how the game kept going on and on, and from a dramatic viewpoint, I think the story would have been less confusing, tighter, and more exciting if they had lopped at least a third of it off, if not half. Lots of locations felt like they were superfluous and could have been skipped in the name of narrative integrity. Seriously, by the end of the game, I had a really hard time remembering everything that had happened to get me where I was.

Overall though, I do think that the game is quite worthy of the accolades that were heaped upon it in the past and give it a resounding thumbs up.

(Incidentally, is one case where i finished a sequel before the original. i know that Deus Ex: Invisible War wasn't very well received, but i'd say that it was just as good, if not better, than the first game in many aspects. at the very least, it was well worth playing.)

Last edited by Brad Gallaway; 10-27-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Brad Gallaway is offline   Reply With Quote