View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #10
Avptallarita

Rep Power: 15 Avptallarita is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The Root of all Evil/Trobule With Atheism

Oh and something else. I'm probably nitpicking here, but what the hell, I might as well put this down:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doolittle View Post
Personally, I've never felt comfortable with the idea of atheism, because it assumes that anything that can't be quantified is impossible to know, and if it can't be quantifiably known than it might as well not be known.
I think that what atheism does is not to claim that the objects of the universe must be quantifiable; rather, it identifies our faculty of knowledge with our faculty for quantitative (and qualitative) judgement.* Thus, it's not saying that there is nothing out there that cannot be quantified, but that anything that can't, must appeal to something in ourselves that is not our system of knowledge (or system of reasoning, understanding), and thus cannot lay the claim to being "knowledge". It does not exclude the set of human experiences that constitute faith, it's just saying that they're something different from what we understand as knowledge.

* Though one should note that atheism is not a set of written principles or beliefs, and thus you cannot ascribe an intention to it. It doesn't "say" anything of itself; we're only inferring things from it.
Avptallarita is offline   Reply With Quote